Eternal Lands Official Forums
Roja

Bot marketplaces

Bot marketplaces  

256 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to have bot marketplaces?

• Yes
    • No

Bots are an integral part to this game IMO
I really disagree with this statement. EL did fine before bots and would do so again without them. I do fine without bots too. Personally I think bots in general, and the sheer mass amount of them these days ruins the atmosphere of EL both by eliminating the need to interact with other players for game necessities, and just seeing them every other step littering the views.

And I would argue that the convenience and placement of many of the bots greatly increases my ability to enjoy the game by eliminating the need to interact with other players, which can be far more time consuming than an always-on, always-trading bot which has for sale what i would like to buy.

If you don't like interacting with other players, why are you here in a mmorpg?

Sounds more like bots are an intergral part of YOUR playing, not EL's. You really can't speak for everyone else.

I wouldnt say this is completley true, as a bot is normaly on line for 24 hours/7 days a week. He can buy the items I need while at work, asleep, eating supper, etc etc

And I would argue that the convenience and placement of many of the bots greatly increases my ability to enjoy the game by eliminating the need to interact with other players, which can be far more time consuming than an always-on, always-trading bot which has for sale what i would like to buy.

I agree with this.

If you don't like interacting with other players, why are you here in a mmorpg?

Aisy some of the people who play EL are awesome and i highly enjoy interacting with them... but there's also this mass amount of complete n00bs (and i mean n00b, not newb) that'd i'd really prefer to limit my interaction with to poofing them to the UW.

Plus ya, that whole thing about not being able to / wanting to be in chan 3 advertising every 10 minutes.

I sell some of the book drops i get at the same price the NPC will pay for them, thus there is no better offer to be found, yet prior to having a bot i could never find buyers... now that they're on a bot, that's available 24/7 and more often advertising the wares than i'm willing to or capable of, the books sell.

Bleh guys, you are missing the point.

He said bots are integral to EL. Integral means necessary to complete the whole. I disagree. They might be a convenience to many sure. But they are not necessary to make EL work.

So based on that, I don't think that they are so important that they should dominate EL's landscape, both literally and figuratively.

Digression:

I have to say I'm astonished with this post. I have to agree with some people commenting bolded parts (bolding added by me). Why to bother with playing an MMORPG if interacting with other, 'alive' players is 'time consuming' and decreasing your ability to enjoy the game? Wouldn't games like Daggerfall, Morrowind or Oblivion (games with fairly open world and storyline) be a better choice?

On topic:

Some people mentioned games providing a separate area which purpose is purely marketing. One of them is Conquer Online with its Market. I have to say I really like this idea. It saves my time I would be spending on: a. looking for the best offer, b. looking for a location of a person I want to trade, c. walking to this location. I honestly see no reason not to gather at least some bots in areas like it.

I have to say I really like 'strategically placement' argument some of bot owners use. I'd love to know what a screwed up and twisted strategy suggested placing 15 bots in a short distance between Whitestone entrance and a storage in Nordcarn. What would be the difference between 20+ bots in Nordcarn placed more less randomly ('strategically') and the same bots placed in a market square (added in Nordcarn).

Nordcarn, Desert Pines - 'strategically placed' -

There are 150+ bots in game (right now). Most of them are trade bots. Let's say there are only 100 of these. 20% of them are placed in Nordcarn, more less the same amount in Desert Pines. These two maps are more less 5% of all areas available in the game.

I don't see much sense in it.

Edited by Ayumu

About this bot question of paying for hosting etc.

I'm on limited income in real life. i have a set amount that is budgeted for game play.

The reason I'm paying for hosting (and Moebird is as well) is that we dont know the first thing about keeping a bot running and we need someone who can keep the codes etc up to date.

With the paid service we get everything 'automatically' updated. Any bugs are ironed out as soon as they are discovered.

I'm OK with small market places.

LLL guild try to keep an assorted stock on our bots in our mini shopping center/market in Tarsengard.

The reason our little market got started is because of that Lenny who was stifling trading in the night hours of EL.

Bleh guys, you are missing the point.

He said bots are integral to EL. Integral means necessary to complete the whole. I disagree. They might be a convenience to many sure. But they are not necessary to make EL work.

So based on that, I don't think that they are so important that they should dominate EL's landscape, both literally and figuratively.

Integral, adj,

1. being an essential part of a whole

2. whole or complete

Without bots, i feel EL would be incomplete. Not necessary, but incomplete without the valuable(IMO) convenience.

Digression:

I have to say I'm astonished with this post. I have to agree with some people commenting bolded parts (bolding added by me). Why to bother with playing an MMORPG if interacting with other, 'alive' players is 'time consuming' and decreasing your ability to enjoy the game? Wouldn't games like Daggerfall, Morrowind or Oblivion (games with fairly open world and storyline) be a better choice?

Please read all my replies before you say something someone else already said which I refuted.

Pming someone a couple of times and clicking on their avatar is not "interacting" by my definition. If you consider this the high point of interaction, I feel you lead a very boring IG life, or are a member of a very small guild.

If I want to interact with someone, I'll pm them or do some mixing event, etc, with them. Clicking their avatar and accept does not constitute interaction to me.

On topic:

Some people mentioned games providing a separate area which purpose is purely marketing. One of them is Conquer Online with its Market. I have to say I really like this idea. It saves my time I would be spending on: a. looking for the best offer, b. looking for a location of a person I want to trade, c. walking to this location. I honestly see no reason not to gather at least some bots in areas like it.

I have to say I really like 'strategically placement' argument some of bot owners use. I'd love to know what a screwed up and twisted strategy suggested placing 15 bots in a short distance between Whitestone entrance and a storage in Nordcarn. What would be the difference between 20+ bots in Nordcarn placed more less randomly ('strategically') and the same bots placed in a market square (added in Nordcarn).

Nordcarn, Desert Pines - 'strategically placed' -

There are 150+ bots in game (right now). Most of them are trade bots. Let's say there are only 100 of these. 20% of them are placed in Nordcarn, more less the same amount in Desert Pines. These two maps are more less 5% of all areas available in the game.

I don't see much sense in it.

Noone ever said that nordcarn bots(the ones massed by storage) are strategic. You seem to think I or others were arguing that ALL bots are strategic. I never said this and this is not the case. However, my bot, and others, are strategically placed. Please tell me who would buy/sell silver ore to agneum miles away from any silver mine.

And FYI, IIRC, DP was one of a couple(another being WS) market zones implemented by entropy under something similar to this. So I would guess he prefers this type of organization of bots.

I voted no..in general. I guess I want to know is this a limited issue? only certain maps are truly affected ie: NC? I find it nice at times to have bots in say a mine where i just broke 3 pickaxes and don't want to have to run all the way back to sto for another one. At the same point I hadn't been to NC for long time and went there a few weeks back and was shocked by the number of bots. I figured since they had to be approved in the first place it had been decided that this was a "trade" zone to keep them out of other areas lol.

And I do like the idea of keeping bots behind stalls I thought that was what they were partially added for was future use by either NPC's or Bots. BUT if bots are required to stand at stalls you might consider expanding the trading area of a bot in the front as there is only one usable square to trade on some of the bigger countered stalls, fells kinda weird trading with a bot through the back of a stall...

Anyways I'm sure there is a compromise out there, possibly some bots do have to move but Others in random areas of maps aren't really that "randomly" placed they were put there for some reason like selling me a pickaxe cuz I'm lazy. :P

~edit~ What if that alley in NC was changed to look like a marketplace? Kinda like a squatters market would that ease some peoples feel of the alley? just a random thought I had after I posted.

Edited by Elf_Ninja

~edit~ What if that alley in NC was changed to look like a marketplace? Kinda like a squatters market would that ease some peoples feel of the alley? just a random thought I had after I posted.

Yeah change the rock edge and make them stalls and add a nice scene to the place it needs more color anyways, kinda like the road in evtr that starts from the book seller then going west past all those bots

All I ask.. Normally I buy everything I need bulk. So I don't have to bother getting 1 or 2 50 times, instead just get a few and be set for awhile. This is all very easily done through other players. I'd rather throw the profit to the person who put in the sweat and tears and such.

When I do use bots its for 1 or 2 items. So this market place would be appreciated if it were in somewhere easy to get to. Like, 2 leather boots @ 70gc each. 140gc. Or c2 ring (200gc), c1 ring (100gc) leather boots 140gc, the boots end up costing 220gc each. When I could just overpay someone at a storage for that.

Could this market place be easily accessible for things like this? Really sometimes all it is you need is 1 item.

can we just un-crowd overcrowded areas?

personally i like all the bots together in NC.... if rraisa doesnt tell me if someone is selling soemthing that i want, i go there and start PMing "inv" to everything that sint moving until i find some bot who has it. That place in itself is a market place. Its not really blocking any views or recourses because its just a wall and Rock through there.

Thats just my opinion, and i voted nuuuuuuuuuuuuu!

Come on now what happen to free enterprise and competition.

If you wanna put your Starbucks beside my Starbucks let the price wars begin. :P :P

Don't forget about zoning along with that free enterprise :P

Teh Zoning God approved the current enterprise 1_4_28.gif

I think limiting is the answer to the problem and if bots need to be moved try the voluntary approach 1st. If not enough move then give preference to bots who have been in their location longest.

hamster.gif

never bothered me to tele to either C1 and/or C2 to visit my fav bots...(some which I frequent because of a simple greeting, BOT owners take note ....nothing stops a possible client in their tracks than the sound of their name used in some form of salutation) I find myself agreeing with Lab's analogy of a overcrowded marketplace and avoidance of eye contact....and totaly understand pie's general sentiments toward the subject, due perhaps to the fact of once being in the same guild with his char. all in all I abstain, since frackly I'm of the opinion that this really is best decided by the BOT owners themselves, I'll go where I want...regardless

I voted no.

However, I then read more threads and saw it might be optional. My vote can be changed to yes as long as it is voluntary. I like the location my bot is in.

I think the real key here, as others have said, it to limit the number of bots in any given area.

I voted Yes.

I do think that bots in-game already should be allowed to stay where they are if the owner doesn't agree on moving it to another location but the new bots would be put in a market area on the chosen map the owner wants it in and the owner can pick the coords they think is best in that location if it's not taken that is :unsure:

Guest Trojan_Knight

I own a bot. Though I'm not going to vote at this time. I have mixed feelings about this.

I like the idea. Cuz it helps people find the bots in a "possible" easier manner. I also think. It could "technically" help prices some. Since I'll admit my bot does buy some things at crazy prices. But some day some will begin to sell things and buy things at avg player costs w/ profit to the player. So a price war, is still ongoing no matter how you look at it. And this, well doesnt bother me. So thats another way i see how it could "possibly" help.

What I dislike. I dislike the exact unknowing of how it will be implimented. From the replies (an not being able to look at the vote cuz I've not voted) I can see a trend of it going in a voted for manner from the community. If this does pass, does that mean all current bots on game that are market bots will be "grandfathered" or does it mean something else? How would a bot owner be able to choose where with in the market place their bot is located? Who gets the best spot, and who would determine that? Because we all know someone is going to bitch "unfair, my bot is like 14 steps farther away from the enterence then so and so's bot" for example.

I'll vote later if possible, maybe after more has been stated.

You know something...

When the bots were purchased and paid for the placement had to be approved. Now all of sudden there is an issue about the placement.

Why wasn't this issue discussed at an earlier time rather than ask the people who paid for the bot to be in a spot and blessed to now think about moving them because others have a problem with it?

What right is it of someone who didn't pay RL $$ for my bot to discuss the placement for him? I am sure that if there was an issue with where my bot is when it was paid for and blessed then maybe a different location could be found.

But the possibility of forced placement is crazy imo.

And yes bots ARE an important tool in the game. If it were not that way then why do bots make up more percentage of sales for me than if I chased people down all over the EL maps?

I voted no but I will say this, if having so many bots in one place is that much of a big deal (should have been discussed before it got here) then I "might" be willing to move my bot to a location just as good as the spot he is in now. But I do not agree that people who didn't pay for my bot have the right to discuss where he should be placed at all.

Now...

Why do you have an undeniable right to run a profitable bot?

Because we all paid rl $$ for this specific purpose. If you paid $120 or more would you not expect to get a return of some sort or do you like to go out and waste rl $$ with no benefit of any kind? Do you even own a bot for that matter?...

When the bots were purchased and paid for the placement had to be approved. Now all of sudden there is an issue about the placement.

Why wasn't this issue discussed at an earlier time rather than ask the people who paid for the bot to be in a spot and blessed to now think about moving them because others have a problem with it?

Nobody expected bots to take off as they have and for there to be so many of them. The procedure that worked with 50 bots suddenly has left quite a mess with 200 bots and more coming all the time.

EL is now covered with bots, and sometimes it takes a while to see the big picture, which is quite a mess now.

And really, why should ONLY bot owners be allowed to comment? Non-bot owners have just as much right to say "Omg EL looks awful now with bots everywhere, why can't they be in one of those lovely picturesque marketplace areas?" EL is not JUST about bots, or bot owners.

I'm here to play Eternal Lands, not Bot World.

Just because some people dont have bots, doesnt mean they shouldnt have a chance to voice thier opinions on aspects of the game.

Even if that aspect is related to bots. people contribute to the game in other ways than buying bots.

I agree that some bots are overcrowding certain areas and a way to approach the situation needs to be adressed. Hopefully this thread will help find away to come to that conclusion even handedly and with out it turning into a circus.

That is with out throwing accusations tirades and rants at each other.

Nobody expected bots to take off as they have and for there to be so many of them. The procedure that worked with 50 bots suddenly has left quite a mess with 200 bots and more coming all the time.

EL is now covered with bots, and sometimes it takes a while to see the big picture, which is quite a mess now.

And really, why should ONLY bot owners be allowed to comment? Non-bot owners have just as much right to say "Omg EL looks awful now with bots everywhere, why can't they be in one of those lovely picturesque marketplace areas?" EL is not JUST about bots, or bot owners.

I'm here to play Eternal Lands, not Bot World.

I am not saying that non-bot owners don't have the right to comment about lots of bots in one area but I am saying that they do not have a right to decide where my bot is placed. That is between me and the person I paid for the bot (radu) only. If radu came to me and said "There are too many bots in this area would you mind finding another spot?" Then I would be inclined to look, but for all who did not pay for my bot do no have any say in the matter period.

but this topic is in general chat , for all to comment on , if its not right to ask the player base at large then perhaps this should get moved to the bot section of forums and started again ?

but this topic is in general chat , for all to comment on , if its not right to ask the player base at large then perhaps this should get moved to the bot section of forums and started again ?

I agree. This wasn't in off topic, private forums or titled "Bot owners only reply". Folks shouldn't be so rude on here. Sheesh.

Not at all. This is most definitely not a poll to ask bot owners what they think of the issue. PaulB, rather than crying that the issue is between him and Radu only, should notice that the thread was started by Roja (hence, by the developers) for the exact purpose of knowing what all the players think. Then, it is up to Radu/Roja, in case they decide to do so, to ask some specific bot owner to choose an alternate location, or simply refuse renewal at the end of the 1-year period, or leave things as they are, or whatever seems more appropriate to them. This thread will not be hijacked by a few guys trying to imply that others don't have a right to express their opinions.

It should also be noted that the thread is not about forcibly moving bots elsewhere, it was more about creating a more pleasant landscape for bot-rich areas for all to enjoy, bot owners (and their profitable business) and non-bot owners (who have the right to enjoy the game as well).

Edited by Usl

Not at all. This is most definitely not a poll to ask bot owners what they think of the issue. PaulB, rather than crying that the issue is between him and Radu only, should notice that the thread was started by Roja (hence, by the developers) for the exact purpose of knowing what all the players think. Then, it is up to Radu/Roja, in case they decide to do so, to ask some specific bot owner to choose an alternate location, or simply refuse renewal at the end of the 1-year period, or leave things as they are, or whatever seems more appropriate to them. This thread will not be hijacked by a few guys trying to imply that others don't have a right to express their opinions.

It should also be noted that the thread is not about forcibly moving bots elsewhere, it was more about creating a more pleasant landscape for bot-rich areas for all to enjoy, bot owners (and their profitable business) and non-bot owners (who have the right to enjoy the game as well).

You, and others obviously cannot read.

The issue I speak of is the fact that where my bot is located IS only between me and radu. I already said that its fine to ask the community if they think bots are overcrowding maps...

I am not saying that non-bot owners don't have the right to comment about lots of bots in one area but I am saying that they do not have a right to decide where my bot is placed.

So before you start bitching about me not understanding then I take it you should read my previous post again.

People here talk like "Your supposed to let everyone voice their opinion" but when I voice my opinion you take it as I telling others they shouldn't have one.

YOUR DEAD WRONG.

But when I pay rl $$ to have my bot in a APPROVED spot then it is 100% only my and radu's choice as to where my bot goes, not you, not the EL community or anyone else.

So you can stop twisting what I am saying around to better your argument because myself and others can see right through it.

But I do not agree that people who didn't pay for my bot have the right to discuss where he should be placed at all.

I even read what you wrote, just figure. Did you?

I tend to differ, in that I do think they have a right to discuss it, especially if the developers explicitly ask them to discuss it. Talking about bots placement in general is not a distinct issue as you seem to imply: "the bots" is a sum of individual bots.

You say, only the bot owner has the right to talk about where a single bot is placed; hence, non-bot owners have no right to talk about where all bots are placed. Well, as I said, I disagree -- and the poll is explicitly asking them.

(Ignoring insults about me and others not being able to read.)