Eternal Lands Official Forums
Fedora

Macintosh OS X client 1.8.0 bugs thread

This is the "official" OS X bugs thread for the 1.8.x client release. Check this post from time to time, there might be updates with bug fixes.

You can download the client from here

Current EL version 1.8.0

Mac version .1a (10.4+ Universal Binary)

Notes:

If you are looking for it the el.ini file is found in ~/Library/Application Support/Eternal Lands under the "main" directory currently.

PLEASE, when you post a bug, include the type of Mac you use, the OS version and graphical settings (e.g. water shader quality, reflections, shadows, UVP...). Crash logs can be useful too.

This was primarily built on a PPC IBook on a 10.4 system.

Finally, stay on topic please. This thread is for identifying bugs in the OS X client.

I'm assuming this is a Mac issue since I haven't seen it reported anywhere else, and I'm the only one who seems to be experiencing it.

When I hit alt-m, my screen goes white. I didn't have this issue on the old client (the map just popped up). It's been getting worse. The white screen lasts longer, and occasionally even boots me from the game.

Instead of listing all of my video options, here's a screen shot:

Picture3-2.jpg

I'm playing on OS X on an iMac.

sywren,

Can you tell us that type of video card is in your iMac? You can get this info from the Apple menu -> About This Mac -> More Info... -> Graphics/Displays.

sywren,

Can you tell us that type of video card is in your iMac? You can get this info from the Apple menu -> About This Mac -> More Info... -> Graphics/Displays.

Or type #glinfo ingame.

Video card: ATI Radeon X1600 OpenGL Engine

Vendor ID: ATI Technologies Inc.

OpenGL Version: 2.0 ATI-1.4.56

Video card: ATI Radeon X1600 OpenGL Engine

Vendor ID: ATI Technologies Inc.

OpenGL Version: 2.0 ATI-1.4.56

Can'r reproduce your bug, though ... :)

I have been having trouble with the game crashing when i use the manufacture screen.

It has mostly happened when doing alchemy, but i don't think it happens just then. sometimes it happens when the manufacture screen is just open, and you open other windows.

I'm Running on a Mac Book, BTW

my #glinfo:

Video card: Intel GMA X3100 OpenGL Engine

Vendor ID: Intel Inc.

OpenGL Version: 1.2 APPLE-1.5.36

Supported extensions: GL_ARB_transpose_matrix GL_ARB_vertex_program GL_ARB_vertex_blend GL_ARB_window_pos GL_ARB_shader_objects GL_ARB_vertex_shader GL_ARB_shading_language_100 GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint GL_EXT_rescale_normal GL_EXT_draw_range_elements GL_EXT_fog_coord GL_EXT_gpu_program_parameters GL_EXT_geometry_shader4 GL_EXT_transform_feedback GL_APPLE_client_storage GL_APPLE_specular_vector GL_APPLE_transform_hint GL_APPLE_packed_pixels GL_APPLE_fence GL_APPLE_vertex_array_object GL_APPLE_vertex_program_evaluators GL_APPLE_element_array GL_APPLE_flush_render GL_APPLE_aux_depth_stencil GL_NV_texgen_reflection GL_NV_light_max_exponent GL_IBM_rasterpos_clip GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp GL_ARB_multitexture GL_ARB_texture_env_add GL_ARB_texture_cube_map GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3 GL_ARB_texture_env_combine GL_ARB_texture_compression GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_ARB_shadow GL_ARB_depth_texture GL_ARB_fragment_program GL_ARB_fragment_program_shadow GL_ARB_fragment_shader GL_ARB_occlusion_query GL_ARB_point_sprite GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object GL_ARB_draw_buffers GL_EXT_framebuffer_object GL_EXT_framebuffer_blit GL_EXT_texture_rectangle GL_ARB_texture_rectangle GL_EXT_texture_env_add GL_EXT_blend_color GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_EXT_blend_subtract GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias GL_EXT_abgr GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_stencil_wrap GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_EXT_separate_specular_color GL_EXT_secondary_color GL_EXT_blend_func_separate GL_EXT_shadow_funcs GL_EXT_stencil_two_side GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc GL_EXT_texture_compression_dxt1 GL_EXT_texture_sRGB GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil GL_APPLE_flush_buffer_range GL_APPLE_ycbcr_422 GL_APPLE_vertex_array_range GL_APPLE_texture_range GL_APPLE_pixel_buffer GL_APPLE_object_purgeable GL_NV_blend_square GL_ATI_texture_env_combine3 GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp GL_SGIS_texture_lod

I still have this problem when I have turned everything down (the video and audio settings), and turned on the poor man setting and it still has problems (unfortunatley it doesn't seem to make a difference). If you could let me know if you have any ideas comments, questions concerns,

and above all else solutions. It makes things a pain in the butt when i try to do alch or manufacturing.

And Thanks for your help. I love your game!!

I have been having trouble with the game crashing when i use the manufacture screen.

It has mostly happened when doing alchemy, but i don't think it happens just then. sometimes it happens when the manufacture screen is just open, and you open other windows.

I'm Running on a Mac Book, BTW

This is a bug that has been plaguing MacBooks (that have integrated Intel graphics) since the 10.5.5 update and EL 1.7. I have looked into the problem a bit, and I don't think there is much we can do. It seems to be entirely related to an update in the graphics drivers that occurred at 10.5.5.

Florian and Fedora, care to weigh in on this?

This is a bug that has been plaguing MacBooks (that have integrated Intel graphics) since the 10.5.5 update and EL 1.7. I have looked into the problem a bit, and I don't think there is much we can do. It seems to be entirely related to an update in the graphics drivers that occurred at 10.5.5.

So, i looked up if there was any easy way to revert to a previous "incremental" version of the Mac OS X and their was nothing that didn't invlove completely backing up .... well pretty much everything. Seeing as though i have no external and this is my school machine, i really can't take that risk.

If you have any other advice it would be awesome, and thanks for responding so quickly. :pickaxe:

my client hangs all the time. i've constantly change the graphics settings

around etc. so i doubt it's that.

mac osx 10.5 ppc g5 imac

GeForce FX 5200

i found a specific log for the hangs (hangreporter) but i don't

have permission to read it and do not know how

to change that i changed permissions but still can't read.

also there is not el folder in application support... maybe

it's that? i've tried DL and reinstall several times.

this was the only log thing i could find about it

3/30/09 12:49:28 PM mds[24] (Error) Task: <MDSFetchTask: 0x39d4f0>{taskID:0x0000500c age:277ms} couldn't fetch attributes: (os/kern) object terminated

i have the hang log but it's from apple support thing so can't

cut and paste but it's super long anyway.

also i have noted if you have more than 1 copy on th HD it hangs a

whole lot more.

also #glinfo says different video card than what my computer says:

nvidia geforce 8600

comptuer says geforce FX5200

Edited by HereticEast

my client hangs all the time. i've constantly change the graphics settings

around etc. so i doubt it's that.

If it hangs all the time, it would be difficult to login. Well, what resolution are you trying to run at? Eye candy? Poorman?
i found a specific log for the hangs (hangreporter) but i don't

have permission to read it and do not know how

to change that i changed permissions but still can't read.

Do you know why you don't have permission? Is this your computer?
also there is not el folder in application support... maybe

it's that? i've tried DL and reinstall several times.

Are you trying to run EL on some sort of minimal account? An "Eternal Lands" folder should definitely be created inside your Library's Application Support folder.
this was the only log thing i could find about it

3/30/09 12:49:28 PM mds[24] (Error) Task: <MDSFetchTask: 0x39d4f0>{taskID:0x0000500c age:277ms} couldn't fetch attributes: (os/kern) object terminated

This is a problem with Spotlight, not EL.
i have the hang log but it's from apple support thing so can't

cut and paste but it's super long anyway.

Open the Console program. You will be able to access the Crash Logs from there.
also i have noted if you have more than 1 copy on th HD it hangs a

whole lot more.

Then don't have more than one copy. :)

i can't deal with all the intermixed quoting:

1. i amend my previous statement to read hangs periodically... random intervals at a fairly consistent rate.

i've tried most every graphics/resolution combination and this produces no noticeable effect in regards to

hanging.

2. i am not running minimal account. the folder is not in my application support folder. there

is another person on here with the same problem.

3. ok i have the crash log... i assumed it wouldn't be there as it did not crash. it just hangs until

i force quit. it's really really long. post it here or what?

also recently i updated to 10.5.6..... no difference

Edited by HereticEast

i can't deal with all the intermixed quoting:

You are asking to get free help for a game that is free. Deal. I have more tolerance than Entropy but not much more. So, I will try to help you once more.

1. i amend my previous statement to read hangs periodically... random intervals at a fairly consistent rate.

i've tried most every graphics/resolution combination and this produces no noticeable effect in regards to

hanging.

Don't amend a post to something more ridiculous. Periodically and randomly but at a consistent rate? Sigh.

Set your resolution to 800x600. Login. Go hide in a building. Log out. Log back in, go to console mode, and start a timer. Don't do anything (this includes typing). How long does it take to hang?

2. i am not running minimal account. the folder is not in my application support folder. there

is another person on here with the same problem.

I will ask again. Is this your computer? Is this other person experiencing hangs on the same computer? Is that with your account or their account? Do you have administrator rights on the computer?

3. ok i have the crash log... i assumed it wouldn't be there as it did not crash. it just hangs until

i force quit. it's really really long. post it here or what?

Post the first 25 lines.

this is my computer. my account. i have administration rights. the other guy that posted not hanging (just quits after logging in) but no application support folder.

http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=49144

it's never hung while i was doing nothing so i doubt that would produce

a hang. it hangs about 2 or 3 times an hour i would gestimate. the most

frequent hangs come at storage... or while fighting. the sound will start

skipping just before. although i did set it to 600/800x32 and it crashed

as soon as i walked into the room.

Binary Images:

0x1000 - 0x1a7fff +net.0ctane.EternalLands ??? (1.8.0) <bef00c72c3fa4bfa860a9366aa94d353> /Applications/ELII/EternalLands.app/Contents/MacOS/EternalLands

0x1692000 - 0x16eafc7 com.apple.carbonframeworktemplate 1.0 (1.0) /Applications/ELII/EternalLands.app/Contents/Frameworks/cal3d.framework/Versions/A/cal3d

0x174b000 - 0x174efff +ogg ??? (???) /Applications/ELII/EternalLands.app/Contents/Frameworks/ogg.framework/Versions/A/ogg

0x1751000 - 0x176effb +com.yourcompany.yourcocoaframework ??? (1.0) /Applications/ELII/EternalLands.app/Contents/Frameworks/png.framework/Versions/A/png

0x1775000 - 0x1797ff3 +vorbis ??? (???) <bdf4bdce94833edeb32394da65dfaeab> /Applications/ELII/EternalLands.app/Contents/Frameworks/vorbis.framework/Versions/A/vorbis

0x18b5000 - 0x18d9ffd com.apple.audio.OpenAL 1.2 (1.2) <e9637c9a9cb03991a1c8fac9d56b0e35> /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenAL.framework/Versions/A/OpenAL

0x5f17000 - 0x608effb GLEngine ??? (???) <842f38857bb67e7ddebce958369dbb55> /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Resources/GLEngine.bundle/GLEngine

0x60c0000 - 0x6249ff6 com.apple.GeForceFXGLDriverPPC 1.5.36 (5.3.6) <945a8f3837c174ada803282cc6234a08> /System/Library/Extensions/GeForceFXGLDriverPPC.bundle/Contents/MacOS/GeForceFXGLDriverPPC

0x6271000 - 0x628dfff GLRendererFloat ??? (???) <3e5d8f34d61deb0515b3162ab86eec5e> /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Resources/GLRendererFloat.bundle/GLRendererFloat

0x7698000 - 0x784aff7 com.apple.RawCamera.bundle 2.0.10 (2.0.10) <385afe576f8fd60530711a5eab4ed182> /System/Library/CoreServices/RawCamera.bundle/Contents/MacOS/RawCamera

0xb4c9000 - 0xb4cdfff com.apple.audio.AudioIPCPlugIn 1.0.5 (1.0.5) <6d30b26789325677bbd205ccdbe755e7> /System/Library/Extensions/AudioIPCDriver.kext/Contents/Resources/AudioIPCPlugIn.bundle/Contents/MacOS/AudioIPCPlugIn

0xb4d2000 - 0xb4d3ffd com.apple.aoa.halplugin 2.5.7 (2.5.7f1) <8217e492adf5f0f7cdf567e92025442c> /System/Library/Extensions/IOAudioFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AOAHALPlugin.bundle/Contents/MacOS/AOAHALPlugin

0xb52d000 - 0xb591fef +com.DivXInc.DivXDecoder 6.6.0 (6.6.0) /Library/QuickTime/DivX Decoder.component/Contents/MacOS/DivX Decoder

0x30000000 - 0x30061ffb +SDL 1.2.13 (1.2.13) /Applications/ELII/EternalLands.app/Contents/Frameworks/SDL.framework/Versions/A/SDL

0x31000000 - 0x31028fd7 +SDL_image 1.2.3 (1.2.3) /Applications/ELII/EternalLands.app/Contents/Frameworks/SDL_image.framework/Versions/A/SDL_image

0x33000000 - 0x33001fe3 +SDL_net 1.2.5 (1.2.5) /Applications/ELII/EternalLands.app/Contents/Frameworks/SDL_net.framework/Versions/A/SDL_net

0x70000000 - 0x700cdff3 com.apple.audio.units.Components 1.5.2 (1.5.2) /System/Library/Components/CoreAudio.component/Contents/MacOS/CoreAudio

0x8fe00000 - 0x8fe30c23 dyld 97.1 (???) <8dc1fc6c74fe1f055be16980dd45001e> /usr/lib/dyld

0x90017000 - 0x90054fff libRIP.A.dylib ??? (???) <662becbd3173fd67eec7ad523d2d9c56> /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/Versions/A/Resources/libRIP.A.dylib

0x90099000 - 0x900a1ffb libCGATS.A.dylib ??? (???) <0c83819d2d428a8df27c8cc0f13ba1dc> /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/Versions/A/Resources/libCGATS.A.dylib

0x900d3000 - 0x9016cfc3 libvDSP.dylib ??? (???) /System/Library/Frameworks/Accelerate.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/vecLib.framework/Versions/A/libvDSP.dylib

0x9016d000 - 0x902b5ffb libicucore.A.dylib ??? (???) <f49319412f5ee8b5f06fef2baa72916b> /usr/lib/libicucore.A.dylib

0x903d9000 - 0x90993fff libBLAS.dylib ??? (???) /System/Library/Frameworks/Accelerate.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/vecLib.framework/Versions/A/libBLAS.dylib

0x90994000 - 0x909a2ff3 com.apple.opengl 1.5.9 (1.5.9) <c3d74d9bd2fa60d9c346db5658e52815> /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/OpenGL

0x909a3000 - 0x909cbfff libxslt.1.dylib ??? (???) <a628a1484428ce3c87c56cf663faeb54> /usr/lib/libxslt.1.dylib

0x909cc000 - 0x909ccffb com.apple.installserver.framework 1.0 (8) /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/InstallServer.framework/Versions/A/InstallServer

0x909cd000 - 0x909fefff com.apple.coreui 1.2 (62) /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreUI.framework/Versions/A/CoreUI

Edited by HereticEast

this is my computer. my account. i have administration rights.
Progress.
the other guy that posted not hanging (just quits after logging in) but no application support folder.

http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=49144

Yeah, that post was only slightly more informative than saying, "I cannot play the game". At least you started by telling us the hardware you were using.
it's never hung while i was doing nothing so i doubt that would produce a hang.
I doubt you will get a resolution to the problem unless you start taking my suggestions. Unless you test the possibility, you will not know the answer. Now, after your character has sit around doing nothing in isolation for at least an hour, go somewhere busy (IP beam for instance) and again do nothing for an hour. If you get another crash/hang, turn off the game's sound system and repeat the "doing nothing". Yes, this can be frustrating. You will miss out on a few precious harvest hours.

Now, I want some more information. Open the Terminal application (can use Spotlight to find it). In the terminal, please type the following command and tell me (as in, copy & paste) the output.

ls ~/Library/Application\ Support/

Include the typed command in your copy&pasted reply please.

If you follow my advice, we will hopefully be able to determine if the problem is audio or video related.

ok nothing happened sitting in the room or at VOTD storage.

does 16 or 32 make a difference? either is fine?

does this mean it's in there just not showing up in the folder menu?

AOL Instant Messenger (SM) KomodoEdit

Acreon Legion Arena

AddressBook Macromedia

Adium 2.0 Mozilla

Adobe Navigator

Calculator OmniWeb 5

Chess Photo Booth

Civilization IV Demo Poisoned

Colloquy RBrowser4

Console SolarSeek

DVD Player SyncServices

DVD Player Scripts TotalAccess

Eternal Lands Whamb

FFView Yahoo! Messenger

Firefox aMule

Freeverse iCal

FullCircle ssX

Edited by HereticEast

ok nothing happened sitting in the room. does 16 or 32 make a difference? either is fine?
16 or 32 what?

does this mean it's in there just not showing up in the folder menu?

AOL Instant Messenger (SM) KomodoEdit

Eternal Lands Whamb

FullCircle ssX

This most likely means you are looking in the wrong place when navigating with the Finder. As I mentioned in the first reply, you need to look in your Library folder. There is also a system Library folder which is not the same thing. The system library is located at:

/Library

Your library is located at:

/Users/whateveryourloginis/Library

Now that we have clearly identified that you do indeed have a Eternal Lands folder within Application Support, you should be able to find the error_log.txt file inside.

Anyhow, let me know how you do after an hour in a busy place both with and without sound & music.

bit. 800x600 16 or 800x600 32

ok error log shows almost all unknown sounds and

[12:53:56] Error: Can't open file "alias.ini"

[12:53:56] Error initializing sound: Error setting up listener - Invalid Value

bit. 800x600 16 or 800x600 32

32. Macs pretty much always use 32 bit now-a-days.

ok error log shows almost all unknown sounds and

[12:53:56] Error: Can't open file "alias.ini"

The alias.ini is nothing to worry about.

[12:53:56] Error initializing sound: Error setting up listener - Invalid Value

This could be something to worry about in addition to the unknown sounds. Have you installed the sound and music packs? It might be that the OpenAL sound system is getting overloaded when you are in busy places and fights. There could be a delay too, if OpenAL is trying to still process events stuck in a buffer. Pure conjecture.

Now, make sure you have the EL sound system (music and effects) turned off, restart the game, and go fight somewhere. Let me know if you get more hangs. I know it is inconvenient, but keep at a low resolution for now. If everything is fine for a day, up your resolution.

This could be something to worry about in addition to the unknown sounds. Have you installed the sound and music packs? It might be that the OpenAL sound system is getting overloaded when you are in busy places and fights. There could be a delay too, if OpenAL is trying to still process events stuck in a buffer. Pure conjecture.

Now, make sure you have the EL sound system (music and effects) turned off, restart the game, and go fight somewhere. Let me know if you get more hangs. I know it is inconvenient, but keep at a low resolution for now. If everything is fine for a day, up your resolution.

no i didn't DL it as it was all winamp ogg files etc. so i didn't bother.

ok i will do these other things.

This could be something to worry about in addition to the unknown sounds. Have you installed the sound and music packs?
no i didn't DL it as it was all winamp ogg files etc. so i didn't bother.

Actually, ogg is an open format. All the sounds and music should work just fine. I tested them on a PPC Mac a few years ago. The atmospheric sounds are kinda nice. Personally, I don't use them though.

ctrl+v seems to be making my client crash, this hasn't happened previously and might have something to do with recently downloading updates to my mac

Currently Running OS 10.5.6 on intel core, most recent iMac

Let me know what other info I need to provide, because I no doubt missed the important stuff :icon13:

Edited by Enly

ctrl+v seems to be making my client crash, this hasn't happened previously and might have something to do with recently downloading updates to my mac

Hiya Enly. I too noticed a paste crash yesterday, but it was not consistent. You can send me the crash log via forum PM, and I will take a look.

When I hit 'TAB' to open the map window or try to open the map with the map icon the client crashes...help please :whistle:

*edit* it only crashes on a guild map, but didn't before

Edited by Smee