Eternal Lands Official Forums
MagpieLee

Reduce Window Size of Drop Bags

*is wondering if there was some cool way a windows user could use that patch.*

im fairly certain there is...... something about running the command window as the administrator or something...

but im most definatly NOT that computer literate.. so i wouldnt know.. just wondering..

*is wondering if there was some cool way a windows user could use that patch.*

im fairly certain there is...... something about running the command window as the administrator or something...

but im most definatly NOT that computer literate.. so i wouldnt know.. just wondering..

Just like for other OS, you would have to build your own client or get someone else to build one for you. This patch is for testing/experimenting only, such a patched version of the client may only be used on the test server.

I've posted a quick demo patch for a resizeable ground bag.

I've updated this patch, fixing more of the issues I stated, its probably as finished as its doing to be. However, this thread appears to have gone cold. Anyone had any more thought of which method they might prefer? Or thoughts on other ways to reduce the window size?

If you've patched Labs with his method, then yeah it has run its course (since 99% of the time, my creature/monster drops never drop more then 4 different items so anything smaller then the current size will be nice). Unless you changed it to have your method of "coding fun" which is more aesthetic, though Labs looks like its simple-no fuss and easier.

When is the next plan client update and will this be included in it? :P

Edited by MagpieLee

1. It could remember the last size you set and use that for future bags.

2. It could have a pop-up menu with a "size to fit" option that makes the window big enough to show everything in the bag.

Make an option where you can configure one of both options above. Some ppl might like option 1, others option 2.

3. It could have a pop-up menus with some default "nice" sizes you could select as a default (would override the "size to fit" option). Even better if it's customizable to any X*Y size, but not sure how you could support that with the simple pop-up menu.

I think, option 3 might be nice, but finally nobody would use it.

Most bags you open, or, at least, i do, contain a few bones, maybe some gc and maybe a fur and thats it. nothing more than 2-4 items. So a fixed size bag window would be the best choice IMO (option 1).

Piper

A fixed bag window size would be very good for training, since creatures don't drop that many different items, and the window won't take half of your screen. On the other hand, you might need a bigger window for mixing from bag. So how about making 1 size of the bag window for monster drops, and the other for mixing? Say, the first one would be 2x3 tiles, and the other one could be 5x5 or whatever.

2. It could have a pop-up menu with a "size to fit" option that makes the window big enough to show everything in the bag.

Make an option where you can configure one of both options above. Some ppl might like option 1, others option 2.

Piper

Please, no more options!

EL already has build up quite a number of unused or hard to find options.

e.g eye candy frame rate, most of the sky options, right click options on inv buttons (if you don't now they are there you wouldn't expect them there), ...

More options confuse and overwhelm new players and make it harder for devs to read the code and find bugs or add future changes.

~Alb

Piper

Please, no more options!

EL already has build up quite a number of unused or hard to find options.

e.g eye candy frame rate, most of the sky options, right click options on inv buttons (if you don't now they are there you wouldn't expect them there), ...

More options confuse and overwhelm new players and make it harder for devs to read the code and find bugs or add future changes.

~Alb

I know how to go around that problem...yet another option to click on to show "Advanced Options" which will be these tweaks you mentioned. Normally only the most basic of options would be available

I agree that we have way too many options. However, the new ones I have added recently (like the item window right-click options) have help text when you hover the mouse over the button. If you normally have help text off, you could always switch it on for a few days after the client update to see what's been added.

Back to this proposal. We have two simple options that labrat and I have suggested and implemented.

1) Labrat's fixed size (half the current size) window with a button to take you back and forth the two halves.

2) My variable size window with a scroll bar to move to the rest of the grid. It is no bigger than the current window and the size can be changed to any combination of row and columns (minimum of 4x2) simply by dragging the border of the window. The last size set is remembered.

Neither implementation increases the number of options. Neither implementation has been approved by Roja or Entropy. I personally don't think we need to offer a menu-configurable-size window given the current 2 suggestions. Either would be OK IMHO but I do have a personal favourite. :P

I guess I'll give my opinion on it...

I prefer the adjustable size one with a scroll bar myself. It would be nice if you can scroll with the mouse wheel anywhere on the window too.

If it comes down to a simple vote then I'd have to pick bluaps (even though LabRat is my friend :devlish:).

Only because your option can get an even smaller drop bag window size but the bugs you mentioned needs to go though :medieval:

Edited by MagpieLee

*sniff* I understand.

Mine was just a quick and simple hack - if I had been familiar with the widget code I would have gone that way too.

I must agree with the scroll wheel comment too.

*sniff* I understand.

Let's not do competing, potential new features again LabRat, I feel terrible. :)

I must agree with the scroll wheel comment too.

Yes, the scroll wheel works anywhere within the window. There is one issue remaining; the scroll bar flickers when dragged. I'm on the hunt for that bug which needs fixing in any case.

Edited by bluap

I've fixed the flickering scroll bar bug. As the fixes/changes to the scrollbar code are generally applicable, I have committed those changes. I have updated the patch so it now only contains the changes for the resizeable ground bag.

I have updated the patch so it now only contains the changes for the resizeable ground bag.

Are these listed as options in make.conf?

I have updated the patch so it now only contains the changes for the resizeable ground bag.

Are these listed as options in make.conf?

No, this patch has not been committed to CVS. To try it, you would have to update to the latest CVS then download and apply the patch from berlios. On Linux, you could do that this way. Open a terminal and change directory to the location of your elc source:

# To apply the patch
wget -O - http://developer.berlios.de/patch/download.php?id=2635 | patch -p0

# To remove the patch
wget -O - http://developer.berlios.de/patch/download.php?id=2635 | patch -p0 -R

Remember, you should only connect to the test server when you are running a non-CVS clean version of the code unless otherwise agreed with Entropy.

All these ideas seems cool to me and I'm jealous of your skills guys. :)

I'm sure any would be better than current one but I liked bluap's idea best.

Edit:typo

Edited by -MrGray-

I've just commited this patch (slightly tidied up) to CVS.

Thanks for the suggestion and discussion. Hopefully most people are happy with the outcome. :)