Eternal Lands Official Forums
MagpieLee

Reduce Window Size of Drop Bags

Searches didn't turn up with anything

Can we please reduce the window size of drop bags?

Currently they are like this clicky

A massive 50 squares of different items that most of the time we won't use (even if we die with a full inventory and equipment slots all drop, we can still only drop 44 different items). The only time I can see more then 50 is when people quit the game and drop their items.

Its pretty annoying when it comes to collecting drops

Another reason is to help those with smaller resolutions.

I would like it to be changed into this click

Looks much prettier! :pickaxe:

You can see only the top 25 items now and its got a nice scrolly thing just incase. Now you can see more of EL and not through the many windows :P

And if you prefer the old type, why not have the option to reduce the drop bag window size or keep it to its original cumbersome size.

The pics were all done in MS Paint.

Tags: Reduce, Window, Size, Drop, Bag, Smaller, Resolution, Widget

Edited by MagpieLee

I haven't really looked into the whole widgets thing.

How about slots 0-24 show, 25-49 hide and have a button to toggle between them which glows if there are items in the hidden slots?

This would be trivial to code and would reduce the window size by 50% with only a small change to the existing bags display and click code.

I dunno what widgets are but yeah thats another solution around the problem of the overly sized window of the drop bag.

If this is easier to program then the scrolly thing and creates less server stress/lag (I have no idea what I'm saying btw) then yes :pickaxe:

Edit: typo

Edited by MagpieLee

How about slots 0-24 show, 25-49 hide and have a button to toggle between them which glows if there are items in the hidden slots?

This would be trivial to code and would reduce the window size by 50% with only a small change to the existing bags display and click code.

Yes, this would be VERY useful. I'm all for this idea.

Ok, I have this working now.

smallbagwindow.jpg

No OMG it has green text please, that is a trivial point just to highlight that those slots have at least one item in the other window.

Comments? Suggestions?

You do realise that the first window is 1-25 and the second one is 26-50 and not 0-24 & 25-49

Either way it looks like it does the job of reducing the drop bag window size :pickaxe: The numbers and the colour of the text are trivial but it looks good.

Nah mine is right as far as the client is concerned, if only people were 0 based too :pickaxe:

I am sure another dev could code the scroller should they see fit, personally I see it as a waste dragging a bar when a single click suffices.

I am sure another dev could code the scroller should they see fit, personally I see it as a waste dragging a bar when a single click suffices.

Or, for more coding fun, we could make the window resizeable and have it automatically add a scroll bar when required. The window would, of course, remember its previous size between open/close and client restarts.

whoa Lab you made a patch for this already? Thats super :o

ps: (or you by chance cause that server glitch not long ago ;))

Edited by MagpieLee

Patch upped to berlios, let's see where this goes :o

edit: eep https://developer.berlios.de/patch/index.ph...p;group_id=1256 ;)

Any hope for Windows users? I guess not, but I better ask...

Not until it gets an ok from on high or I add it to CVS, I want to see what the other devs think first.

It's much easier to move the mouse scroller (spelling?) when the cursor is on the window than moving the mouse itself on the button. But that's just my opinion :hiya:

It's much easier to move the mouse scroller (spelling?) when the cursor is on the window than moving the mouse itself on the button. But that's just my opinion :P

Yeah I would have thought the same. THe mouse scroller (aka wheel) would mean no clicking at all :) I hope the window size reduction gets into the new client

I've tried labrat's patch and it works very nicely. However, for fun, I'm coding up a patch to use a resizeable window with a scrollbar to see how that looks & feels. When people are talking about using the mouse wheel, are you suggesting a scroll bar or that we keep the buttons but the window jumps between top & bottom sections when you use the mouse wheel anywhere in the window?

I've posted a quick demo patch for a resizeable ground bag. Here are some screen shots:

gallery_14814_13_30605.jpggallery_14814_13_11217.jpggallery_14814_13_7623.jpg

It's fully functional but there are a few wrinkles to iron out and tidying up to do. There is a small bug I found after submitting the patch; when clicking on the title bar when scrolled, you pick up an item. There is also a bit of flickering if you drag the scrollbar. I'm not sure I like the control layout on the right either. All the usual scrolling method work. It was fun to code. :)

I've posted a quick demo patch for a resizeable ground bag. Here are some screen shots:
A few possible thoughts on sizes:

1. It could remember the last size you set and use that for future bags.

2. It could have a pop-up menu with a "size to fit" option that makes the window big enough to show everything in the bag.

3. It could have a pop-up menus with some default "nice" sizes you could select as a default (would override the "size to fit" option). Even better if it's customizable to any X*Y size, but not sure how you could support that with the simple pop-up menu.

Personally, I think the size-to-fit would be the best option. Small bag, small window; big bag, big window.

On the other hand, I have my bag contents window placed so that the get-all button is right on top of a bag I'm standing on. This means that two clicks in the same spot will open the bag then do get-all. Unless the get-all button was the anchor point, a dynamically re-sizing window would not be something I would want.

So many choices, so little code... :-)

A few possible thoughts on sizes:

In the patch I've posted: As you hold and drag the resize corner, the grid dynamically adjusts to the width and height you make it. The width controls how many columns you have, the number of rows is set from that to give a grid of 50 or greater slots (in my current version the extra slots are not drawn). If you make the height smaller than the number of rows, you have to scroll the resulting window to see each end. Also, when you release the resize corner, the window snaps back to the minimum width for the number of columns you have set and to the nearest whole number of rows you set; or just big enough to show all the rows if you dragged the window larger. The last size is remembered between bags and would be saved on exit too if the patch is completed.

We could add some snap to size type options but that might be overkill, it's easy to set the size as it is.