Eternal Lands Official Forums
LabRat

Filter password from messages sent

This is a nonexistent patch at the moment but would amount to maybe 3 lines in the client.

A simple patch but it could prevent people accidentally sending their passwords.

Just a grep on the entered line for the player's password before sending to the server could prevent accidental sending of it in local chat, and also puts an extra layer of difficulty for people trying to send their passwords for the purposes of character sharing.

Comments anyone?

This is a nonexistent patch at the moment but would amount to maybe 3 lines in the client.

A simple patch but it could prevent people accidentally sending their passwords.

Just a grep on the entered line for the player's password before sending to the server could prevent accidental sending of it in local chat, and also puts an extra layer of difficulty for people trying to send their passwords for the purposes of character sharing.

Comments anyone?

Nice idea, and from a security viewpoint I would say yes.

However, if I accidentally typed my password in local or a channel, I would immediately change it. It also means client has to run grep on every line of text I type. Also char sharers could notify passwords by other means just as easily, so I think it's much work (ok, I know you said 3 lines :) ) for negligible gain.

Just my 2p worth, of course.

I personally don't think it is necessary. I worry more about the passwords going over the network in clear - but that's another issue. Do we know there is an issue with people being scammed for their passwords?

Two problems occur to me if this is done. What if your password is a word or phrase that you want to type in normal conversion, or a command, item etc. Also, the code may be complicated by having to check if you are using the password change command (or may be that was included in your 3 lines). As EaglePrince said, just my 2p worth... :whistle:

I personally don't think it is necessary. I worry more about the passwords going over the network in clear - but that's another issue. Do we know there is an issue with people being scammed for their passwords?

Two problems occur to me if this is done. What if your password is a word or phrase that you want to type in normal conversion, or a command, item etc. Also, the code may be complicated by having to check if you are using the password change command (or may be that was included in your 3 lines). As EaglePrince said, just my 2p worth... :whistle:

I agree that passwords that might show up in a convo are likely to expose information you don't want to.

I also know we've banned several people for scamming passwords by saying stuff lile "Hey! if you say you're password it shows up like this *****"

I also know we've banned several people for scamming passwords by saying stuff lile "Hey! if you say you're password it shows up like this *****"

Wow, that's an old trick. Sounds like there is a case for something....

The thing is, if you want to say the password you can just use spaces or some other ways (for character sharing).

And if you are stupid enough to fall for tricks like the **** or give people your password, then it means you didn't read the game rules, so you are SOL.

Two problems occur to me if this is done. What if your password is a word or phrase that you want to type in normal conversion, or a command, item etc. Also, the code may be complicated by having to check if you are using the password change command (or may be that was included in your 3 lines). As EaglePrince said, just my 2p worth... :)

I fully agree. And there will be char selling and sharing anyway... This doesn't even make it much harder, since you can just send the pass in e-mail or so. I don't see any reason to make this kind of system.

Think of all the bug reports "I can't say 'password|secret|12345' in game"...
Two problems occur to me if this is done. What if your password is a word or phrase that you want to type in normal conversion, or a command, item etc. Also, the code may be complicated by having to check if you are using the password change command (or may be that was included in your 3 lines). As EaglePrince said, just my 2p worth... :)
If chat messages containing the player's password are going to be intercepted (not sent), of course that shouldn't be done silently.

A warning message should contain "don't give out your password" as well as something like "if this was just a part of a normal conversation, your password is obviously way too easy; please change it (see Help)".

Nice when done properly, but I'm not sure if it's really necessary.

Replacing the password with ***** (instead of not sending the message) is a big NO though; it would (1) pamper the password scammers who use that age-old trick, and (2) draw undesired attention when the password is indeed simply a word and being used in normal conversation.

The thing is, if you want to say the password you can just use spaces or some other ways (for character sharing).

And if you are stupid enough to fall for tricks like the **** or give people your password, then it means you didn't read the game rules, so you are SOL.

still outa luck?