Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gilrain

the price of experience

Hi players,

outgoing from the economy discussion, i realized a quick first calculation how much gold coins you pay for each experience point in the different skills. Of course i took out only some (hopefully relevant) examples, here first the results:

Crafting:

-polished sapphire: 0,078 gc/exp

Manufacturing

- leather helm: 0,065 gc/exp

Summoning

- bear stone: 0,228 gc/exp

Potioning

- TS potion: -0,118 gc/exp

- SR potion: -0,028 gc/exp

---

so what did i calculate:

i summed up the cost of the ingredients for the item and subtracted the NPC buying price. Then i took the result (the expense) and divided it by the given experience.

I took food into account by FP price (12gc for 50 food). I didnt take time or circumstances of making into account.

Example:

Leather Helm needs 6 food, 4 thread and 3 leather, summing up to 22,94 gc

Trik buys them for 20 gc afaik, so expense is 2,94 gc.

Making the helm gives 45 exp for manu.

So you pay 0,065 gc/exp

With the potions: yes: you actually earn money while gaining exp, so the price per exp is negative there.

And of course the prices of the ingredients vary a bit, i made a spreadsheet, so i could vary base prices for different calculations if needed.

I am very interested in _your_ calculations to this, maybe you can add items/skills here :P

There's always the "time <-> money" slider, and you can move it in either direction. Buy the ingredients or mix at schools and experience becomes faster but more expensive. Harvest yourself or try to sell to players and you save money, at the expense of time.

For me the time is the most precious thing I have (in a context of playing EL ofc). Therefore, as soon as that became possible I have switched to leveling some skills in schools. I love that despite of a high cost. I waste gcc but I save enormous amout of time that can be spent to have fun in game or to make more gc's rather than recycle them by making helms at Trik or hauling other things to NPC. I do not know about summoning and potionong, but for manu and crafting this is so far the fastest and the most efficient way I have found.

Edited by Cruella

For me the time is the most precious thing I have (in a context of playing EL ofc). Therefore, as soon as that became possible I have switched to leveling some skills in schools. I love that despite of a high cost. I waste gcc but I save enormous amout of time that can be spent to have fun in game or to make more gc's rather than recycle them by making helms at Trik or hauling other things to NPC. I do not know about summoning and potionong, but for manu and crafting this is so far the fastest and the most efficient way I have found.

This only works if you've already put in the time to become rich. The way I see it, it's still about the same amount of time. Your energy is just focused differently.

Let's see ...

For 100k of manufacturing exp with my rationality and manu god I'd need to make at Trik 1563 leather helms, using 4689 leather and 6252 thread (assuming no fails) plus 188 fp's.

In order to make it I'd have to spend 21882 gc for leather and 12504 gc for thread - 34386 gc total , not including cost of food and needles.

Despite of selling to Trik I'd lose roughly 4 kgc , and with my emu I'd have to do 16 trips to Trik.

Now, when making helms in the manu school:

- you need to invest just 50% of money, that is 17193 gc

- you need to haul just 50% of resources from Kelcha and general store

- you use half of food (over 1,1kgc saving)

- you make 50% of trips to manu school (which can be actually found 20 steps from sto, no map hopping like in case of Trik)

The difference in cost of 100k exp will be roughly 12kgc (still assuming no fails) - instead of losing 6.2 kgc at Trik, you will lose 18,2 kgc at school

Now, I think the time saved for less hauling and less trips to Trick allows you to make much more gc's than 12k. And as you can see, you can start leveling having 1/2 of money needed for traditional way, which negates the thesis that it is a method just for rich folks :pinch:

Time

That's all there is to it

Everything is free if you can be arsed to get the stuff for it.

Where you get leather?

Why selling some flowers and then buying it.

Time

Let's see ...

For 100k of manufacturing exp with my rationality and manu god I'd need to make at Trik 1563 leather helms, using 4689 leather and 6252 thread (assuming no fails) plus 188 fp's.

In order to make it I'd have to spend 21882 gc for leather and 12504 gc for thread - 34386 gc total , not including cost of food and needles.

Despite of selling to Trik I'd lose roughly 4 kgc , and with my emu I'd have to do 16 trips to Trik.

Now, when making helms in the manu school:

- you need to invest just 50% of money, that is 17193 gc

- you need to haul just 50% of resources from Kelcha and general store

- you use half of food (over 1,1kgc saving)

- you make 50% of trips to manu school (which can be actually found 20 steps from sto, no map hopping like in case of Trik)

The difference in cost of 100k exp will be roughly 12kgc (still assuming no fails) - instead of losing 6.2 kgc at Trik, you will lose 18,2 kgc at school

Now, I think the time saved for less hauling and less trips to Trick allows you to make much more gc's than 12k. And as you can see, you can start leveling having 1/2 of money needed for traditional way, which negates the thesis that it is a method just for rich folks ;)

Your idea only satisfies the "time is crucial" mindset..

making and selling at trik takes a little bit longer.. but is more cost effective in the longrun. by far.

i can get 50k gc's and spend it on leather/thread/fp's. (though i usually make my own thread).

if i mix it all at the manu god. i will get double exp yes. and faster. but if i mix at trik. i have gc's saved to buy more ings for helms. in the long run. more exp.

so in the end. you start with 50k gc's.. but if you sell at trik you end up with more exp..

.. im not saying your wrong.. just from another perspective.. to you time is crucial.. for me. if i dont finish it tonight. its always there tomorrow :)

Well, you did not get the point I guess. What I mean is that time saved equals more money. So while you sit at Trik, I make money and usually more than you save by recycling helms. So for the unit of time, let's say one hour, both my exp and my income could be higher ;)

I do not negate making helms at Trik, I have tried it as well. It suurely works, but for me there are better strategies.

I do not negate making helms at Trik, I have tried it as well. It suurely works, but for me there are better strategies.

I agree with you. And making helms at Trik on higher manu levels is insane ;)