Eternal Lands Official Forums
LabRat

Should bots be able to send messages in local chat?

Should bots be able to send messages in local chat?  

269 members have voted

1. 1. Should bots be able to talk in local?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. What limits should be set?

• No limits
    • Limit to greeting players only
    • Limit to commenting on events only
    • Limit to new hour announcements only
    • I voted no

#ignore_bots command should work not only in channels, but also in local chat, PMs, and any other way of communication that isn't covered yet.

But blocking PMs from bots would also ceased business messages and would render trading not feasible.

If you want to trade with a bot just unignore it. The global command would help against going through Bots Online list and doing it one by one.

I see no advantage to having #ignore_bots also ignore PMs. Bots should not (with a few exceptions) initiate PMs with you.

I see no advantage to having #ignore_bots also ignore PMs. Bots should not (with a few exceptions) initiate PMs with you.

I meant it for all the people who long for having a conversation with bots in local chat. If they feel the need of being greeted, why don't they have it in PMs so all others, not interested in random spam, aren't forced to suffer it?

My only problem is the other day I went afk next to a bot and it sent about 50 local chat messages. "Hi""Hi""Hi""Hi""Hi"Hi"

Bots should only be allowed to greet me as I pass while they shower me with gold coins. :lurker:

Bots greeting players from a list would be okay, but greeting every player that passes would just be unwanted spam.

And by list, I mean one imput manually. Not coding collecting names.

And please, no bot comments on events or new hour. :)

Edited by Scratch

Bots should only be allowed to greet me as I pass while they shower me with gold coins. :)

Bots greeting players from a list would be okay, but greeting every player that passes would just be unwanted spam.

And by list, I mean one imput manually. Not coding collecting names.

And please, no bot comments on events or new hour. :D

I'm not sure where exactly people got the concept that some bots are pming every passing player who walks by. I know of no such bot, most bots have a select few (or noone) who it greets, normally friends or guildmates of the owner.

The main spam issues are bots which are close to heavily traversed areas and near which players have a reason to congregate within earshot, so if people on it's list walk back and forth along that path, the people within earshot get spam. Related to this are bots which are near harvestables and which comment on each/some harvest events. IMO, bots which do neither of these actions aren't a problem, and ones which do need to adjust their lists or settings.. assuming that Entropy were to make some kind of set-in-stone rule on this.

i see no problem with bots only greeting specific people. as of right now my bots only greet me. . i had a few others. but i removed them once all this discussion got started.

Meike Trade Bot has and always will PM a greeting. The amount of "spam" I see across my screen on a daily basis is already too much for me...hell, 1/2 the time I even turn off the Guild channel just so I dont have to hear the ramblings of those who feel chatty all of a sudden...and I tell the Guild: "...so if you need me, PM me."

I would like all to seriously consider having all Bots greet in PM only. Thank you.

Tokie

Edited by tokie