Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
love42

possible Firefox and EL conflict

Ok so yesterday everything was working just fine. Had Firefox and EL running at the same time. All was well other then the normal lag when loading a page because im on dialup.

So today after the EL server update and a FF update that was released yesterday (but not applied till this morning). I'm lagging really bad. I have narrowed the problem down to FF (after the newest update) and EL (after the latest server update) running at the same time. I know this is the problem because if I shutdown FF all my EL lagg stops. Now I know your thinking lagg will happen if your loading something. I have tested this to be sure it's not the problem. I started EL with nothing else running but my firewall. All was good. I then started FF and loaded a webpage I have loaded many times while having EL running (my guilds website hompage to be exact). Got a couple of rysyncs during loading of the page (normal for my dialup).

All seemed fine but left FF alone and walked to sto and got massive lagg. During this shut FF down and lagg was gone. Re did the whole thing and double checked to be sure, nothing was loading at all in FF. This only seems to be causing a problem while walking/moving or at sto (from what I have tested so far). I will revert back to a earlier version of FF later tonight. I think that should solve the problem. Just thought you might want to know.

Check how much of the CPU Firefox is using:

Press Ctrl+Alt+Esc and a window will pop up listing some details for each program/process running.

Click on the "Processes" tab, and search in the list for "Firefox".

There should be a number that keeps changing every second or so in the CPU column.

I run FireFox 3.0.4 and EL and have no problems.

Did you apply the update to FF released yesterday? (11/16/08) I had no problems till after I applied it.

It might depend on what site FF is at also, ones running lots of scripts and/or animations would make FF busier.

It might depend on what site FF is at also, ones running lots of scripts and/or animations would make FF busier.

Yes I understand this. Which is why I made sure to run FF only while having the one website loaded. To be specific it is my guild website homepage which can be found in my sig. Please check it yourself , it may help in the long run. And as soon as I noticed lagg the 1st time (after checking) I closed FF all lagg stopped. To double check I did the same but instead made sure to double check to see if anything was loading at the time of lagg and nothing was loading yet still when I closed FF all lagg was gone. I have even gone so far as to set my FF homepage as a blank and load just that, and still had the lagg problems. Like I said earlier I will revert back to a earlier version of FF later. Since I will have to download it before reverting Ill go back to plain old 3.0 as know for a fact I didn't have problems with that.

I've also had this problem in the past. EL went up to use 100% of my CPU when FF was open in the background. I don't have the problem anymore though.

That's strange. Try to open IE instead of FF, and go to the same page. If you are on Dial Up, it maybe be that FF is using too much bandwidth, maybe downloading something else, like another update or something. Do you have plug ins enabled?

I'm running Firefox 3.0.4 with all the latest updates, and playing EL at the same time... no problems. My Firefox has 8 open tabs, one of which is Youtube at the moment, which I imagine would use quite a bit of bandwidth/CPU usage/whatever it is I'm talking about again :rolleyes:

Anyways, my CPU usage is averaging something like 28%, but it jumps from about 13 to 40 sometimes. Task Manager shows 39 processes running (including EL and Firefox)... and Commit Charge is averaging about 1/3.

Just figured I'd put my stats into this... Firefox causes no problems to me.

[Edit] FPS usually runs at 39 (my cap) unless I'm in an area with lots of people or objects, but that's often solved by rotating camera for me. [/Edit]

Edited by SirAlland

Currently I am sometimes using an old notebook with the Intel GMA chipset, usually it runs the game around 22fps, but it slows down to 4-7fps while Firefox is opened (although it is minimized on the taskbar and doesn't have any pages loaded - just waiting for pressing F2 in EL client). Maybe the resync problem can come from the overload of CPU?