Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sir_Exeus

Runescape o0

i expect loads of games have stuff similar to EL, some did it before some after.

RS would have to change a lot to even be playable for me, i thought it was terrible, as much as people complain about radu and some of the stuff he changes and implements, i see RS and think we can't really be that badly off after all.

There is one Big important similarity in RL and EL, thats the same persons living in those.

In both economies you see that there always poeple who are complaining en who see things different.

There is nothing wrong about it if there is respect. It helps us to look better at things, and make better decisions.

(because not all of us are poor thinking idiots)

The only problem is that if we have complainings, or "knowing the right choices"

We will tell it much faster and more often.

Then if you are happy like the way thing goes and you have no problems.

If we want to create for everybody an perfect economie / perfect world / perfect mmrpg.

Then we need to get rid of our selfs.

greatings

I played runscape once and lasted only 15 minutes and then dropped it... :laugh:

May be it was because I was already playing EL, and it just rocks! :P

I did the same and I didn't even play EL then :D A while ago I tried RS again just to check if it was that bad as I remembered and yes it was :P

got a new laptop now and since my son is heavily into RS, i decided to try it out for a short while. i have to admit with the chat (public and private) turned off I found it a playable game and enjoyed it. it was thoroughly refreshing to be able to level a skill in a matter of days rather than the 6 months it takes in EL to achieve the equivelant abilities. of course it is much harder to see comparisons when the economy is entirely game driven there and not player controlled like EL, so the mechanics couldnt transfer easily without major headaches allround. my only gripe with EL would have to be that everything now takes waaaaaaaay too long to do. it's close to becoming a chore as opposed to something to "play". if it wasnt for the fact i plan out how to level a skill in EL i dont think i would attempt it, hell there are certain skills in EL even now that I wont touch due to requiring just too much in terms of time and resource management. which is a piss poor attitude from an allrounder like me, but hey, no ones perfect eh? happy to admit that, as close as I am :)

edit: one area that RS does have EL beat hands down that kept me rivetted was the quests. seriously, we need to polish our quest system up to a better standard if RS is ahead there (IMO and I am trying to be subjective here, it IS better than EL, which is unsettling)

Edited by Pyewacket

got a new laptop now and since my son is heavily into RS, i decided to try it out for a short while. i have to admit with the chat (public and private) turned off I found it a playable game and enjoyed it. it was thoroughly refreshing to be able to level a skill in a matter of days rather than the 6 months it takes in EL to achieve the equivelant abilities. of course it is much harder to see comparisons when the economy is entirely game driven there and not player controlled like EL, so the mechanics couldnt transfer easily without major headaches allround. my only gripe with EL would have to be that everything now takes waaaaaaaay too long to do. it's close to becoming a chore as opposed to something to "play". if it wasnt for the fact i plan out how to level a skill in EL i dont think i would attempt it, hell there are certain skills in EL even now that I wont touch due to requiring just too much in terms of time and resource management. which is a piss poor attitude from an allrounder like me, but hey, no ones perfect eh? happy to admit that, as close as I am :)

edit: one area that RS does have EL beat hands down that kept me rivetted was the quests. seriously, we need to polish our quest system up to a better standard if RS is ahead there (IMO and I am trying to be subjective here, it IS better than EL, which is unsettling)

Thats the only credit I give it....But it's to easy almost.

I have tried Runescape too, but it was too early version (also like ~2001). Only things I remember is the fishing/woodcutting and it runned as java applet in a browser. As I seen in videos it is more advanced now, but I like the graphics and community of EL better :-)

Btw, this happened in Runescape: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/10/21/...in4536700.shtml

Of course they forced the kid in RL so it isn't the same thing like in-game scamm or bagjumping.

What good is it to know that you are level 200 when everyone is level 200?\And how can you have a player economy if every n00b can make the ebst items in a matter of weeks?

When we'll make as much moolah as Runescape does (I guess they make a few million each month), then you'll have new quests every week, because I can hire an army of people to write quests every day ;)

make more invasions so ppl can buy more rosts, you'll get your millions np \o/

or cut back on buying bricks and use that money for questwriters ^^

Edit: ugh.. posted with wrong account..

//Hardcore

Edited by Boedha

One solution would be to spread them better around time zones but I understands it requires mods to be available to run them which is not always the case. Nevertheless last survey was showing iirc that over 40% of players live in Europe so a few invasions during European prime time would perhaps help.

It is possible for players to make there own quest's either alone or as a group, and play them out as contest's in chan 7. Granted nothing but ingame items can be awarded, but it is always an option

What good is it to know that you are level 200 when everyone is level 200?\And how can you have a player economy if every n00b can make the ebst items in a matter of weeks?

because theres still a fricken huge intake of fresh faces so people still buy the low to mid, then the high level items, on a continual basis. I am guessing but thats based on my observations of the varied status of the players I have seen around on there.

Not to mention theres such a huge collection of skills to level in, its still hard to be good at them ALL even if you do invest in becoming a p2p member/player. Not as time consuming as getting high level in EL but still sufficiently difficult that there is room to sell at mid level onwards almost anything u buy/make. They'd still benefit from having a free-er player driven economy like EL has in my opinion but the game driven economy makes it much tougher to scam (not impossible just tougher). game wise its highly playable in its own right, its let down a LOT though by allowing people to play it. Turn chat off and it goes up vastly in playability.

Which is where EL will trump RS every time, regardless of what they add there, they will never have a community like this game has. whilst being top notch for taking the time to make it a child friendly environment in terms of aiming to teach the players about net and game security via quests, it limits the game to that specific age range too damned much.

When we'll make as much moolah as Runescape does (I guess they make a few million each month), then you'll have new quests every week, because I can hire an army of people to write quests every day :P

In teh meantime you can satisfy yourself knowing you have a game that is superior in almost every other aspect, including quality of players. I can't include quality of moderation in that assessment due to the fact I hadn't got into a situation where I had either had to use or even meet a mod there. But knowing some of the shady mods here, like that acelon geezer...well...nuff said!!! One of these days Radu you will have to include links in your blog to the disputes posts which have made you decide to recruit a player from there to be a mod. Is the rumour true that a player can only be a moderator if they've been posted on disputes?

Anyone who takes that disputes bit seriously and thinks this IS how mods are recruited needs to really re read the abovepart again. And smoke some wheatabix or something. No really, you are clearly lacking in an unstable mindset and desparately need some alcohol or drugs or something. Possibly both.

One of these days Radu you will have to include links in your blog to the disputes posts which have made you decide to recruit a player from there to be a mod.

It's not me who recruits the mods, it's a collective decision based on many factors which are secret, but common sense.

For example, good spelling and ortography are required, we don't want mods that talk like: "lol hi how r u".

Other factors include not causing problems, have a good reputation, etc.

Is the rumour true that a player can only be a moderator if they've been posted on disputes?

Lol, no :P

We can only do so many invasions in a time interval, or people will get bored and/or feel they spent too many resources on them.

Well, you could have some books that you can get from quests to make some rare armors or weapons. That might give the game another twist. It would be nice to have less people to compete with for manufacturing an item because they can't accomplish the quest.

Guest Trojan_Knight

I think so far.. Radu has killed me once or twice. I forget. And I've attacked him at least a half dozen times over the years.. But one of these days I'll succeed to land at least 7 successful hits before I die haha.. :) Teh g0d mode gets me every time lol.

As for this topic.. I checked out RS long long long time ago.. To me, things looked to cartoony like.. And thats really not my style.. I perfer games that look almost real.. Like you could look out your window and think "damn, they took the tree out of my back yard by google earthing me haha.. Now EL isn't the super greatest game in graphics as we all know. (no offense intended).. But yet their good enough.. I can see ripples in the water that look real, rain, the sky, animals, etc. So to me, I'll never check out RS again.. So I wouldn't know if anything about that game other then that from the past.

Although... I do think that even though every game out there tries to push the envelope of what is original. I do think that every game does have newer or found some what. A way to make a past feature better.. The gaming industry has gone from atari's to just some amazing games now a days..

~~> me <~~ :pickaxe: