Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

The teset server needs some testing

I changed the way the server handles disconnections, in order to fix some bugs and to be able to optimize some code.

The change in itself is small, but the consequences, if not tested properly, are really nasty (not being saved, items duplication, server crashes, etc.).

So we really need a lot of people to test it.

To get on the test server, you must start el.exe with "test" (not in quote marks) as a command line argument.

Before you try each of the steps mentioned bwlo, please make a note of your location and inventory items, and check to see if the location is the same (or close by) by the time you get back, and if you still have all the items and so on.

Once you are on the test server, we need the following situations tested:

Close the client while walking, trading, and fighting.

Open a new client and log in with the same name that you are already logged in while trading, fighting and walking.

If it is not too much trouble for you, pull out the network cord while walking, trading and fighting (to simulate a network failure).

You can, of course, do other things relating to disconnections and re-logging in, the above mentioned situations are just examples.

All those things need to be tested many times, because usually bugs don't happen right away. So we need at least 1 hour of testing, and 50+ people (the more, the better).

If you find problems, pelase post them here or PM me on the test server if I am there.

Good luck, and happy testing :medieval:

P.S. It doesn't matter which client you use.

I just attacked a rat on IP and exited as soon as I started fighting.

The rat is now stuck in fight mode, it cannot be attacked and is constantly attacking fresh air.

Edit: the rat is right next to beam.

Open a new client and log in with the same name that you are already logged in while trading, fighting and walking.
While walking: first client disconnects and asks for Alt-X to close client once I log onto the second client. If I Alt-X the first client and return to the second client, I get disconnected on the second client. If I leave the first client open (and disconnected), I can still play on the second client.
This is known, when you press Alt (as in alt-x) the client sees a keypress and logs you back in hence the disconnection. it just needs a minor alteration in the keypress code. Edited by LabRat

I can confirm the bug LabRat posted. I can't attack the rat.

After i relogged it seemed to be frozen in place, after a few seconds it started head-banging the air again :medieval:

K, that's a confirmation from me too the rat is unattackable.

@LabRat: Is that exactly how you replicated it? I've tried a few times but can't seem to get the timing right, and whenever I log back in the animal is dead.

@LabRat: Is that exactly how you replicated it? I've tried a few times but can't seem to get the timing right, and whenever I log back in the animal is dead.

Maybe you should fight something stronger then. i'm pretty sure, this isnt limited for only rats. :medieval:

Piper

Im stuck in extended view after exiting first person alt-f. It dosnt matter if its checked in my options its still extended view.

Also i cant seem to mark my tab map by right clicking while on the tab map at the spot i want and typing the name of the mark i wan like i can on main.

As Piper hinted at, these are both client only problems so if you could test this on both servers and replicate this post in the bugs forum that would be helpful.

I have tried rabbits, orcs, armed orcs, and boars but could not replicate.

tried exiting while walking, fighting, using a telepad. no ill effects. (other than dying to an armed orc)

Edited by Drakos7

Either I fixed that by fixing some other bugs, or that is very hard to reproduce..

I can easily reproduce me dying to an armed orc.

I logged repeatedly while trading (including during trades with high numbers) and at different stages of trading, while being PK'ed, while PK'ing someone else, while killing animals, while beingn killed by an animal, as well as during map changes. The only thing I noticed was that if disconnecting while walking I'd log on a few steps farther along. Maybe about five steps. This might be for the same reason as continuing to fight and die after hitting alt x, just thought I'd post it here. I didn't notice any other ill effects, except I dropped my precious leather helm when dying *cries*

lilcnoot

I think I found a misbehavior with the new system on the test server:

When I eat something with a cooldown (tested with fruit) and disconnect/reconnect, it resets the cool down time to the initial value. Thus when frequently reconnecting, the cool down never ends. This behavior is different from that on main.

That is to be expected - otherwise you could bypass cooldown simply by reconnecting.

That is to be expected - otherwise you could bypass cooldown simply by reconnecting.

no, what i meant is that the cooldown time resets to its start time.

eat fruit

cooldown time =50

cooldown time =45

cooldown time =30

disconnect/reconnect

cooldown time is again 50 (on the main server, it would be 30)

no, what i meant is that the cooldown time resets to its start time.

eat fruit

cooldown time =50

cooldown time =45

cooldown time =30

disconnect/reconnect

cooldown time is again 50 (on the main server, it would be 30)

Even on the main server, any items you have automatically start having to cooldown every time you log in.

Yes, but not the maximum cooldown time afaik

Yes, with the maximum cooldown. The server doesn't remember if you had cooldown when you logged off, so it just gives you the maximum cooldown for whatever you have in your inventory. If you are eating Fruit on the test server and cooked meat on the main server then yes, you will see a different cooldown between the servers, but if your inventory is the same, you should see the same behavior.

Let's not clog this topic with this particular question though - if you disagree see me in game and I will demonstrate and explain :whistle: