Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
flexus

Do you love your privacy?

Most of you maybe heared about the new browser of Google, Google Chrome...

When i read the disclaimer, i couldnt belive my eyes.

Chrome sends EVERY url you visit to some Google server!

In combination with the unique ID every Chrome installation has, Google knows exactly what you are doing in the World Wide Web...

There is a possibility to disable this, so you should maybe read http://www.google.com/chrome/intl/en/privacy.html before using this new Browser.

Another funny thing is, that only after the first day, the beta version was out, theres already the first known security issue ( http://www.ghacks.net/2008/09/03/google-ch...-vulnerability/ )

Flex

Most internet service providers already collect such information, what real difference does it make if Google does too?

"They" know what magazines you subscribe to, what books you buy online, what channels you watch on cable and/or satellite, what your spending habits are on your credit/debit cards, where you go with your gps-enabled wireless phone, etc. What real privacy even exists anymore other than what we do when we're alone behind closed doors? And even then, ppl post that crap on their blogs every 5 minutes.

Most internet service providers already collect such information, what real difference does it make if Google does too?

"They" know what magazines you subscribe to, what books you buy online, what channels you watch on cable and/or satellite, what your spending habits are on your credit/debit cards, where you go with your gps-enabled wireless phone, etc. What real privacy even exists anymore other than what we do when we're alone behind closed doors? And even then, ppl post that crap on their blogs every 5 minutes.

Please read the topic again and if you dont like your privacy, why are u posting here then?

For me, i just dont like to give more companies then neccesary my private datas. The more ppl have my datas, the higher is the risk, someone doing nasty things with my data...

Oh and please explain to me (with some proofs as i cant see any in your post), how its technically possible to monitor what tv-channels you are watching. As far as i know, that issnt possible, but of course i can be wrong...

Please read the topic again and if you dont like your privacy, why are u posting here then?

I read the topic. It advised me to read here if I love my privacy. I read and replied which implies that I do indeed love my privacy. I don't believe I stated otherwise.

For me, i just dont like to give more companies then neccesary my private datas. The more ppl have my datas, the higher is the risk, someone doing nasty things with my data...

I don't personally consider what web sites I visit to be my private data. To me, it is analagous to visiting various public places as I am literally interacting with other peoples' personal property when surfing the web. Someone's server has to respond to my request and I may subsequently create or modify artifacts on such servers.

Oh and please explain to me (with some proofs as i cant see any in your post), how its technically possible to monitor what tv-channels you are watching. As far as i know, that issnt possible, but of course i can be wrong...

I cannot give you the technical details as I am not a professional in the cable or communications industries, however, here is an excerpt from http://www.comcast.com/customerprivacy/ :

Some of our systems may collect limited anonymous, aggregate information using set-top boxes and other equipment. We use this aggregate information to determine which programs are most popular, how many people watch a program to its conclusion, and whether people are watching commercials, for example. As described below under “How does Comcast use personally identifiable information and CPNI?”, we may provide certain anonymous, aggregate information to third parties such as audience measurement firms, for example, who may combine it with other aggregated demographic information (such as census records) to provide us with audience analysis information. We use this information to improve our cable television service and other services and make programming and advertising more relevant to our subscribers. We may also use this information to distribute relevant programming and advertising to you without disclosing personally identifiable information about you to programmers or advertisers. Some of these programs or advertisements may invite your participation, which you can accept or decline by using your program guide commands or by following any special instructions on your video screen.

While it does state that the information collected is anonymous, it goes on to further state that the information may be used to distribute relevant programming and advertising to the cable subscriber. Personally, I make the assumption that as digital cable television service is interactive, communication with the cable provider may indeed be bi-directional thus leaving some form of trail as to what I do with the service.

no in fact you didnt stated that u dont love your privacy, but

highly sounds to me that you doesnt care about it...

I don't personally consider what web sites I visit to be my private data. To me, it is analagous to visiting various public places as I am literally interacting with other peoples' personal property when surfing the web. Someone's server has to respond to my request and I may subsequently create or modify artifacts on such servers.

luckily everybody else consider it as private data (google too btw, otherwise there would not be a passage about it in their privacy notes).

and if for you, visiting web sites and visiting public places (what is imo wrong from first place, cuz other visitors of a homepage cant see u like other visitors of a public place can see u, only if the webmaster displays all IPs/usernames visiting the homepage atm, u can be seen by others...) is the same thing, and there would be some "bigbrother" following you around to all public places and writes everything (where u go and what u do) down, wouldnt you punch him into his face after some time? ill bet even the biggest pacifist on earth would get angry after some time...

Thx for the link, i will read it when i have some time, looks very interesting. but after a first short look, i think they are talking about some special devices, designed to collect datas. but anyway thats not the point here thats just for my own interest :)

Anyway, for me its all said, i just wanted to inform others, that Google Chrome collects your data and i dont want to start another flame war here.

i will only post again on this, if someone brings up some new Google related points, cuz thats what that topic is about and not about a general privacy discussion... but feel free to make a new topic about it ;)

Have a nice day,

Flex

Your topic is "Do you love your privacy?" not "Google Chrome exploits users by recording every URL each user visits on a private Google server." You miss my intended points, infer your own and make this discussion pointless. If you're really that concerned about your privacy on the web, use an anon proxy service like hidemyass.com.

just to let you know, my topic's title is "do you love your privacy" and my topic is ~"Google Chrome exploits users by recording every URL each user visits on a private Google server." i think you missed my intended point, infer your own and dont realize that your posts are off-topic.

always nice to see ppl flaming others topics for nothing (or better said for trying to warn others) but at least you gave me such a good laugh with your opinion on visited websites not being private datas and i learned a new fact about privacy and television, so im happy u flamed my topic.

Thank you and take care,

Flex

Yeah, it is fast, its architecture prevents a bad web site from crashing the entire browser, it looks pretty nice with a minimalist approach to menu/tool bars and the "omnibox" is quite useful, but it is only in its first beta so you can't really expect perfection. I just hope Google doesn't now know that I visited eternal-lands.com.

:omg:

Don't use Google Chrome.

S.

well i didnt said dont use it, i wanted to give a warning+tip how to disable the spy functions...

Yeah, it is fast, its architecture prevents a bad web site from crashing the entire browser, it looks pretty nice with a minimalist approach to menu/tool bars and the "omnibox" is quite useful, but it is only in its first beta so you can't really expect perfection. I just hope Google doesn't now know that I visited eternal-lands.com.

the mentioned bug is well known and apple corrected it ages ago tho... i think you can expect from a beta that there are no well known bugs in it.

but i learned my lesson, since nobody seems to be interested in it and im only getting flamed down i will stick from now on to forums where ppl are thankfull for hints like that and where u can have a flame-free discussion about it (yes, i have great, topic related discussions going on about this with functional competent guys in other forums).

Thx for opening my eyes,

Flex

Edited by flexus

OFF TOPIC:

From Wikipedia:

An Internet user typically generates a flame response to other posts or users posting on a site, and such a response is usually not constructive, does not clarify a discussion, and does not persuade others. Sometimes, flamers attempt to assert their authority or establish a position of superiority over other users. Other times, a flamer is simply an individual who believes he or she carries the only valid opinion. This leads him or her to personally attack those who disagree.

but at least you gave me such a good laugh with your opinion on visited websites not being private datas

yes, i have great, topic related discussions going on about this with functional competent guys in other forums

Nice flames :omg:

on-the-off-topic

yea i think, if i want, im good in flaming (back).

yes i am an "individual who believes he or she carries the only valid opinion" about the fact, that getting non-constructive, even offending and ironical posts for the intention of being nice and giving out a warning with correct facts to ppl that maybe think alike, is not really cool and shows a lack of manners and respect to others.

and if u dont answer to all my arguments/statements (where i always answered all yours) what else should make me feel this other than my arguments are superior over yours (if you would have stoped posting to this topic, i might have thought that your just sick of it, but in fact you didnt stoped posting)...

so i think im teH born flamer.

Have fu.. uhm wait, after taking a closer look to the quote from wiki, i think your an even better flamer then i am :o

thats cuz i can accept that you dont think it makes any difference if google collects datas too (as u see, i never said something else but your post was just off topic and i [and most if not all privacy commissioners think alike] just dont agree with your opinion on visited websites and private data), but you dont seem to accept that i think the behaviour of google is really ebul (i dont think i have to give quotes for that)...

so fuck it, you beat me in being the better flamer :omg:

(btw, ripping my sentence out of context is really pr0, but c'mon, ur statement about websites and private datas is really funny. and the second one was more adressed to spleenie, since his/her comment wassnt competent at all, maybe i should have pointed that out, sorry)

(btw2, i really start to enjoy this, so plz go on)

Flex

Edited by flexus

What? :omg:

Anyway, Google Suggest is actually a pretty nice feature. It allows what was formerly recognized as an address box to function as a search engine as well. It also tries to circumvent DNS hijacked malformed URLs. I believe other browsers implement some or all of these features as well.

There is a much more legible op-ed piece on the Big Brotherish opinion of evil Google corporation here: http://www.abcnews.go.com/Business/story?i...7509&page=1