Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SolarStar

You don't like google ?

If you dont like google here is an alternative: http://www.cuil.com/

This search engine is not a google. If you like your privacy add it as your default search tool :D

I just want to spread the news. The more ppl use the better i think.

:P

well, i wasn't joking :D every time you open a page that contains google adds or google analytics stuff a request is sent to google and part of this request is the referrer which contains information about the site you're viewing.

even worse is that the requested data is mostly javascript code which is executed in the context of the user. together with the current dns server attacks, this leads to a lot of not so funny possibilities.

:(

well, i wasn't joking :P every time you open a page that contains google adds or google analytics stuff a request is sent to google and part of this request is the referrer which contains information about the site you're viewing.

even worse is that the requested data is mostly javascript code which is executed in the context of the user. together with the current dns server attacks, this leads to a lot of not so funny possibilities.

Erm, yeah, there's nothing sinister about this. As far as i remembered, (and my memory's accurate now that i review it), Google's program that includes the ads you see around is called Adsense. In it, website owners get paid for each click a browser executes on the ads. So, yeah, it has to send that info, to keep track of how much money it owes the site owner. It's got nothing to do with privacy or which user clicked, just that a user clicked.

So, yeah, it has to send that info, to keep track of how much money it owes the site owner. It's got nothing to do with privacy or which user clicked, just that a user clicked.

Well, i see you don't get it. :(

the problem is that almost every 2nd website has some google code inside so its of course possible to track down a single user and his almost complete surfing activity. these informations are pretty valuable for marketing uses.

and i wonder if noone had the idea to spread some malware by redirecting those domains.. :P

http://www.techcrunch.com/2006/08/06/aol-p...er-search-data/

Why worry about what could happen when worse things have already happened?

btw - for those of you that consider this a serious thread (wanna buy a bridge? I have one left going cheap) read http://kurtsthoughts.spaces.live.com/blog/...7!589.entry and your tracking prayers will be answered.

Me - I found those pages using google search. Shows how much I worry about them doesn't it.

btw - for those of you that consider this a serious thread (wanna buy a bridge? I have one left going cheap) read http://kurtsthoughts.spaces.live.com/blog/...7!589.entry and your tracking prayers will be answered.

Me - I found those pages using google search. Shows how much I worry about them doesn't it.

a few flaws in that one :P i cant see any suggestion about flash and dom/super cookies :(

:(

well, i wasn't joking :P every time you open a page that contains google adds or google analytics stuff a request is sent to google and part of this request is the referrer which contains information about the site you're viewing.

use Noscript, it's an add-on for Firefox which blocks all javascripts on any site.

it's easy to use, if you want something allowed just right-click the noscript icon.

Edited by Hardcore

LOL, the most laughing in this is that the guy seems to be a pro microsoft. He doesn't trust google but he trusts microsoft. :)

Honestly, as soon as you surf on the net, all is recorded whatever you're doing and if it's not google it'll be something else. Don't want to be recorded? Don't use internet, phones, and all the modern communication ways! :)

I've heard of Cuil through a few radio news reports, maybe I'll take a look. With 2 godzillion petabonks of info on the web, any search engine gets results here in the future so what's the difference. Something new and different is fun to play with regardless.

I have a Gmail account and use Googoo as my home page with calender, weather, headlines, etc. Much less 'busy' than Yahoo which I like, and no ads at all. With a little research and concentration a lot can be gotten from using Goofle features, apparently the Gmail server space each account gets can be converted to file storage space as well.

When it comes to privacy I have a radical opinion. Give them every detail! In my case, steal my identity. Please! You'll be getting all kinds collection notices and prison threats left and right... don't even think about credit!

Seriously, if we all overdose worldwide data banks with useless trivia beyond measure, the servers may not fill up but the software won't be able to glean any reliable statistics. "Too much information" is a phrase that will explain the overload in every data collection agency from ad marketing to secret service agencies everywhere!