Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
eagleprince

Zimbabwe

I have been following this thread about the US elections. Quite compelling arguments from all sides. However I was disappointed to observe the absence of a thread on the Zimbabwean crises. Notice my use of the plural word, since the current situation is merely the latest episode in a crusade of abuse of power.

Here is a quote from the afore-mentioned thread, which I have no problem with in the original context of the said thread.

No, I reject this notion that somehow, some way, participation in this fetid, stinking, bloated corpse of a governmental system is in anyway capable of producing change, or even holds the power it does legitimately. I was never asked, I never consented, I was never informed, efforts were made to deceive me from the get-go, to deprive me of my lawful rights.. UNALIENABLE rights..., and to encourage me to perpetuate a fraud by endorsing a fraudulent, corrupt tyranny held in place solely through misinformation and threat of force as "democratic" or "representative".

You should come to Zimbabwe, where there is talk of soldiers being brought in to ensure that people vote. Some were even told to feign injury so that they can be assisted to the polling booth by people who will ensure that they vote for the 'right' candidate. Oh, I forgot....there is only 1 candidate! :angry:

I can't understand why the world was so quick to attempt to emancipate the Iraqis from Saddam's rule, while this man can get away with such atrocities just because it's Africa, and oh, maybe it's just a coincidence that they have no oil.

Edit: typos.

Edited by EaglePrince

I have been watching the events in Zimbabwe from afar for the last few years now and it has saddened me terribly. Some of the worst stories in the world are happening today in Harare, in the Dafur region of Sudan and Joberg, where I believe the going average for murders per day is somewhere around 50.

I have a few friends who were part of the migration from South Africa post ANC, and even some who have managed to get out of Zimbabwe, leaving their farms behind to be burned to the ground. Some of the stories they tell are quite horrific :angry:

The Mugabe regime was, to my limited understanding, meant to be a temporary government put in place post-independance, and the little bastard just couldn't let go of the trappings of power, building a entourage of corrupt officials and thugs to supplement his "authority" and maintain the impression that he is a saviour of the people.

Trust me, the news of the happenings in Zimbabwe is getting more press abroad than it ever has, and the pressure on governments to be seen to do something, particularly commonwealth countries, is mounting all the time. The time will come when he is removed from power by force, however I think the movement will occur from within, not from outside.

S.

I can't understand why the world was so quick to attempt to emancipate the Iraqis from Saddam's rule, while this man can get away with such atrocities just because it's Africa, and oh, maybe it's just a coincidence that they have no oil.

The point is its so much easier to hold the ppl down and only sell them weapons so they an continue killing each other. I think the only country which is actually really investing some money in Africa is China. Europe and America are to busy fighting phantom Terrorists.

Its good to read something about this issues here, hopefully we can get some discussion up.

Trust me, the news of the happenings in Zimbabwe is getting more press abroad than it ever has, and the pressure on governments to be seen to do something, particularly commonwealth countries, is mounting all the time.

Well i don't see much reporting about those issues upcoming, media is dominated by a lot of shit and they only show something about Africa around xmas - to get together some money through donations, thats it. Or maybe then a reporter got killed.

The time will come when he is removed from power by force, however I think the movement will occur from within, not from outside.

The time will come - and he prolly will be replaced by someone who continues in the same way. And the world is watching it in their TV's - and zapp away to sports channel. Maybe someone should discover a big oil source there.

I believe the reason is Robert Mugabe's regime in Zimbabwe doesn't pose a security threat to any of the civilised nations. It's not down to the fact they have no oil, the country is just too insignificant to warrant attention from our great leaders. If a country like China were invaded, we'd definitely never hear the end of it. Africa in general (or maybe not SA) is just considered a land mass by most leaders, imo.

I think the only country which is actually really investing some money in Africa is China. Europe and America are to busy fighting phantom Terrorists.

Of course there are numerous organisations throughout the US and Europe which rely on public donation to give millions upon millions to developing countries, so it's not like we're all ebul or anything (in fact, my home country is statistically the most generous in the UK :pinch: ).

Just out of curiosity, what is your position on the Iraq war in the first place? I used to think it was justified, as if I were in Bush's shoes and a rogue country was supposedly developing WMD's, I'd protect my nation. I've heard many arguments against this though, right now I just think it would've been better if Bush had handled it differently. I think Suddam should have been removed, but not in a way that would risk the stability of the entire country...

@News reports: Yeah, that really irritates me... Whenever I read the news on my cell, I look through all the Top Headlines. There is occasionally something like "5 UK troops killed in Iraq" or whatever. My sympathies to the families of those troops, but my second thought is usually "Uh, yeah and thousands of other men/women/children die every day due to war, and I'm only hearing about these (x) number?"

The time will come - and he prolly will be replaced by someone who continues in the same way.

Actually, I think Mugab's main 'opposition' (the guy who pulled out of the race and urged people not to vote -- forgot his name) might do an OK job, he seems benevolent enough to me.

Just out of curiosity, what is your position on the Iraq war in the first place? I used to think it was justified, as if I were in Bush's shoes and a rogue country was supposedly developing WMD's, I'd protect my nation. I've heard many arguments against this though, right now I just think it would've been better if Bush had handled it differently. I think Suddam should have been removed, but not in a way that would risk the stability of the entire country...

erm. let me try to say it polite: this was (and still is) the biggest parody happend during my lifetime. All the serious warnings from international experts to not attack have been ignored and no matter what they say, it is according to international law - an illegal aggressive war.

Actually, I think Mugab's main 'opposition' (the guy who pulled out of the race and urged people not to vote -- forgot his name) might do an OK job, he seems benevolent enough to me.

if he not get killed before he get a chance, maybe.