Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Entropy

Temporary class system

Seems kinda balanced. People talking about "gaining" att lvls have it wrong. You're always giving something up for the levels. Also seems like Ent thought about the "TS" idea/exploit, so peeps won't get extra a/d exp when they take ranger class. Personally I don't see myself taking it tho, cuz I wouldn't want to spend that many PPs. I just don't feel the lost PPs would provide an equivalent advantage for fighting, compared to putting em in attributes.

I think it is a good idea, except I would eliminate the perk entirely, and not have it wear off as quickly. Last 6 hours or so, have classes changed by paying ~10kgc to the wraith, makes more sense in my opinion.

Would it be possible to have some kind of indicator next to the players name, showing what class they are ie: a star for a mage, sword for tank, bow for ranger etc .................... or would that be giving the game away to much ?

Could be, I don't know. But it requires a client update for that (and someone to develop it on the client side).

that is true as is pps are pretty hard to come by for me cause i try to be an 'allrounder' with 23pps used in nexus...this perk is very interesting to me, but would require 1 of 3 things.

1. Be rich and buy removal stones/hydro bars.

2. Level to 110-120 oa.

3. Reset.

Thanks for clarifying the Mage class idea, will look forward to changes and TEST server :D

Edited by Ishan_Shade

I think it is a good idea, except I would eliminate the perk entirely, and not have it wear off as quickly. Last 6 hours or so, have classes changed by paying ~10kgc to the wraith, makes more sense in my opinion.

I tend to agree

could be a good money sink. and would make pk intresting if one day you fight someone as a Barbarian, and the next day they spen 10k and are a tank?

very intresting suggestion, and I think it would work out for all the determined mages/summoners/rangers out there. Though the amount of pp needed may be a bit high and keep people from taking it.

I tend to agree

could be a good money sink. and would make pk intresting if one day you fight someone as a Barbarian, and the next day they spen 10k and are a tank?

very intresting suggestion, and I think it would work out for all the determined mages/summoners/rangers out there. Though the amount of pp needed may be a bit high and keep people from taking it.

I do not like the original idea.. but i like the way atlantis puts it. i would be more likely to take part and not leave EL

I can already kill people stronger than me (albeit it's a bit hard atm cause of low p/c, but back when i was 36/48, with my attrib build, i killed people with a few a/d on me np). If this idea is put in place, i'll be able to kill people even stronger again.

Most fighters are already 'barbarian class' via attributes (big reas, little/no inst), which is why they can kill stronger people... everyone can hit, no one can dodge (not well anyway). Every PK'er in the game wants to be able to kill some person who is stronger than them. Unless a person is like top 5 strongest PK'er, they will take the barbarian class, which is smart if they are barbarian via attributes anyway.

So, PK skill will end up more and more important, and levels less and less... i guess i think this is a bad idea, it will level thePK playing field too much, make levels worth too little... but hey, i'd love to be able to Halberd a top 30 def players with my attack barely in the top 100 :P

So from a selfish point of view, ya ok lets try it out.

From a what i think it fair and right point of view, i don't like the idea.

Ok, how about we have this:

Have a perk called something like "class shifter" that will require 10-20 PPs.

Then we will have some stones, that will cost ~10Kgc, and will allow you to change the class such as:

1. Mage class. You lose 40% of your a/d and gain the ability to bypass MI (50% chance for each spell).

2. Summoner class: You lose 30% of your a/d but your summoned animals have more a/d, as though you had 40% of your attack added to your summoning level.

3. Ranger class: You lose 20% of your a/d, your arrows are more accurate and do more damage.

Why are all the classes based on a/d ?

Wouldnt it be better if you lost the % in the skill being taken ?

ie:

Mage Class: You lose 40% of your magic level and gain the ability to bypass MI (if you cant cast MI after losing 40% of your levels then you need to train more)

(and also might do away with some of the uber harms ppl are worried about)

This imo would make people train the skills they need and not just bank on a/d

Edited by conavar

Ok, how about we have this:

Have a perk called something like "class shifter" that will require 10-20 PPs.

Then we will have some stones, that will cost ~10Kgc, and will allow you to change the class such as:

1. Mage class. You lose 40% of your a/d and gain the ability to bypass MI (50% chance for each spell).

2. Summoner class: You lose 30% of your a/d but your summoned animals have more a/d, as though you had 40% of your attack added to your summoning level.

3. Ranger class: You lose 20% of your a/d, your arrows are more accurate and do more damage.

Why are all the classes based on a/d ?

Wouldnt it be better if you lost the % in the skill being taken ?

ie:

Mage Class: You lose 40% of your magic level and gain the ability to bypass MI

This is also very intresting. May take this a step more to say, if you take mage class, your ad drops, if you take a fighter class your magic level drops, summon and ranging etc? But a good point conavar, maybe it should not be all determined my a/d? that is to say, the logical opposite off the skill you choose suffers?

Most fighters are already 'barbarian class' via attributes (big reas, little/no inst), which is why they can kill stronger people... everyone can hit, no one can dodge (not well anyway).

Ok.. So then if everyone is like that, doesn't the stronger player have a stronger attack? Being able to kill someone stronger is not because people have more attack than defense, it is because better skill, potions, less lag, etc.

So, PK skill will end up more and more important, and levels less and less... i guess i think this is a bad idea, it will level thePK playing field too much, make levels worth too little... but hey, i'd love to be able to Halberd a top 30 def players with my attack barely in the top 100 :P

Well, yes and no.

If you want to become a thank or a barbarian, then having higher levels help more than having lower levels, no? And adding more skill into PKing is a good thing, IMHO.

Besides, 10-20 PPs is not very little, so not everyone will take it. And those who do are a little handicapted because of those PPs spent on the perk.

Mage Class: You lose 40% of your magic level and gain the ability to bypass MI

This is also very intresting. May take this a step more to say, if you take mage class, your ad drops, if you take a fighter class your magic level drops, summon and ranging etc? But a good point conavar, maybe it should not be all determined my a/d? that is to say, the logical opposite off the skill you choose suffers?

Losing magic level to have a mage class is like fighting for peace, which is, in turn, like fucking for virginity.

I think the logical opposite of magic, summoning and ranging is a/d. If you don't lose a/d, then you get no penalty, since very few people will employ mixed strategies (summoning, magic and ranging at the same time). Most of the fighting is done in hand to hand combat.

Losing magic level to have a mage class is like fighting for peace, which is, in turn, like fucking for virginity.

I think the logical opposite of magic, summoning and ranging is a/d. If you don't lose a/d, then you get no penalty, since very few people will employ mixed strategies (summoning, magic and ranging at the same time). Most of the fighting is done in hand to hand combat.

I totally agree, but unless you are going to add other benifits to each class, then its not a mage class, its just the ability to bypass MI

Won't the harm spell have to be weakened?

Because, as it stands, a good mage can kill any fighter without MI on in ~3 hits.

And, it should be fixed that a mage cannot cast spells on two people fighting each other in a single combat area.

Won't the harm spell have to be weakened?

Because, as it stands, a good mage can kill any fighter without MI on in ~3 hits.

RTFT

And, it should be fixed that a mage cannot cast spells on two people fighting each other in a single combat area.
Why?

I totally agree, but unless you are going to add other benifits to each class, then its not a mage class, its just the ability to bypass MI

So you don't think that actually being able to use offensive magic in PK, while having a lowered a/d qualifies as a mage class?

I read the topic, and everything else, but if you'd like to point out any reason to make a class that can kill people in three hits, feel free.

Why?

Why do we need to make it even easier for allied guilds to rape the shit out of everyone else? Not only will we have 5+ people waiting to catch disses now, we'll have 5 more standing around casting harm and MD, so you'll be lucky to last long enough to even diss in the first place? ..wtf? I thought that would've been obvious.

I read the topic, and everything else, but if you'd like to point out any reason to make a class that can kill people in three hits, feel free.

T as in thread. I explained why the thing you proposed won't happen.

Why do we need to make it even easier for allied guilds to rape the shit out of everyone else? Not only will we have 5+ people waiting to catch disses now, we'll have 5 more standing around casting harm and MD, so you'll be lucky to last long enough to even diss in the first place? ..wtf? I thought that would've been obvious.

Umm, if they can do it, you can do it too, yes?

Nothing in EL is unidirectional, everything that someone can do can also be done by you, assuming similar levels of involment in the game on both sides.

i think its awesome adding a class-like system into EL.

And of course with the pros also come the contras.. which i think is very interesting..

sure itll be annoying suddenly someone coming bypassing your MI or stuff... but thats just

the spice in the soup.

I dont only see it for the pros pounding the newbs, but also for the lower lvl ppl a chance to do some

pk supporting etc with making a mage build.

it actually could bring some strategy into EL with the tank, the damage dealer (or barbarian as you called it :P) mage class etc. it opens whole new opporunities to do.

im very excited to see more about this

Umm, if they can do it, you can do it too, yes?

Nothing in EL is unidirectional, everything that someone can do can also be done by you, assuming similar levels of involment in the game on both sides.

Unfortunately there's only a limited number of guilds that pk.

Oh well, whatever, I don't like this idea at all. I guess it's good my opinion won't make a difference.

I really like the idea, however I'm a little skeptical as to why all the new ideas lately have been hight PP costing perks (MC, Mage, class shifter).

If the stones are ~10kgc a shot, then pushing 10+ pick point on it too seems a heavy price. It might just be me, but either the PP or stone cost should be lowered,

With the lowering of a/d perhaps this could be used in much the same way as 'negative' True Sight effect when training?

I very much like this idea, however i see the following problem:

This system would benefit allrounders a lot. People with levels in all the skills can by

means of this system get much more out of their build. But being an allrounder in the

current system means you are very very carefull how to spend your pp, since you need

so much pp for all the nexi and have a decent emu and have some mana, etc etc. So for

an allrounder 10-20pp would be very hard if not impossible to allocate i think.

I agree with Hompf about allrounders if the "perk class shift" will cost 20 pp.

8-10 pp could be ok (well, with some hard work) for an high OA allrounder too.

20 pp for top allrounders are 500 millions of exp :P

Please consider OA level too and not only att/def.

not to be disrespectful, but this idea is much like WoW yes? this is just refelcting on an WoW basis imo, tank's mage's, Class systems are for WoW, many ppl play EL because u can choose where ur PPs, you base it on how you lvl, this just takes all the fun and work out. :S will impale PK.

I can see this making a huge change - but have to ask myself if anyone will spend 10pp on it never mind 20!

Let me see if I understood the idea:

basically you get the ability to temporarily change your abilities (magic/tank/summoning etc.) for a hefty one time fee and a small charge per change. So this is like becoming a member in some sports club that offers swimming, golfing, sailing, etc. You pay a huge fee to become a member and then small fees whenever you take a course at the club. Of course, courses last only a certain time, so after that you'll end up in the lobby (i.e. with your regular stats).

Personally I can see some interest in the ability to change your "class" for a short time. Would obviously be something for the higher leveled players because before that the gain doesn't outweigh the pain of spending 10 or more pickpoints.

I'm sure, I'd prefer to see some other things fixed first (which would be off topic here) but then I wouldn't take this perk anyways.

Only the fact, that someone who can harm me for 140hp damage, could harm me every 2 seconds (50% fail), even though I have MI spell on, makes this not work for me personally.

Yeah yeah I know, he has less a/d, has to pay 10k, wears off in 1-2 hours. Doesnt change the fact stated above.

Rest seems okay.

If, as someone stated, taking a ranger class would lower your summoning level and add it to archery, that means you need to train summoning more to get a better advantage. Taking % off of a/d is a good idea, because many people level it and it's relatively easy to train, which ends up that if you have high a/d, you get bigger advantage taking a mage or ranger class or whatever. However, it might seem logical to take % off of oa level too.

And the idea is not taken from WoW. It's from classical board-RPG games. WoW took it from there too :P