Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ShYne

Where has this world turned to?

First off, as bad as it may sound, seeing the vid and the people's responces created an evil grin on my face. Sadly, a human instinct that makes me enjoy to see others suffer, I s'pose..

And to the question of the video: what would you have done in that same minute the man was struck?

Well, I'll be very fair. There's a few options.

1) I won't notice because I'm probably walking around with my mp3 and I wouldn't hear the blow if someone got hit.

2) Maybe I do notice, I'll stop, I'll look, I think over what just happened, I'll walk on like nothing happened. I'm not involved, it's not my business. And I'm sure someone else will do something about it.

3) It's someone I know and really get along with/someone I really like/close family or friend. Well in that case I'll go get help right away, unless option 1 jumps up where I don't even notice the accident at all.

I agree, the video is sad and my honest response is also very sad. But that's just me and I'm not changing.

-Blee

First off, as bad as it may sound, seeing the vid and the people's responces created an evil grin on my face. Sadly, a human instinct that makes me enjoy to see others suffer, I s'pose..

And to the question of the video: what would you have done in that same minute the man was struck?

Well, I'll be very fair. There's a few options.

1) I won't notice because I'm probably walking around with my mp3 and I wouldn't hear the blow if someone got hit.

2) Maybe I do notice, I'll stop, I'll look, I think over what just happened, I'll walk on like nothing happened. I'm not involved, it's not my business. And I'm sure someone else will do something about it.

3) It's someone I know and really get along with/someone I really like/close family or friend. Well in that case I'll go get help right away, unless option 1 jumps up where I don't even notice the accident at all.

I agree, the video is sad and my honest response is also very sad. But that's just me and I'm not changing.

-Blee

What if everyone think like that, and no one helps the injured person? :> I surely wouldn't just step away from the accident, would call for ambulance at least and try to help him somehow if I can ...

First off, as bad as it may sound, seeing the vid and t

What if everyone think like that, and no one helps the injured person? :> I surely wouldn't just step away from the accident, would call for ambulance at least and try to help him somehow if I can ...

Expected that.

Too bad?

I find death to be beautiful in some ways, that is what I believe.

It is a pity for those who remain and mourn, but really.. too bad.

-Blee

Edited by BleedingSoul

Rule 1 of first aid:

Don't put yourself in danger

Rule 2 of first aid:

Don't move a patient in a trauma accident.

Would I help? Yes by stopping people moving him and calling an ambulance.

All true. everything that's been said.

It is important to know how to act in these emergencies, and not because of George Bush and his favorite terrorists... unless you want to wrap the poor guy up in duct tape and leave him in the street while you quickly go shopping for big ticket items... *ahem, sorry*

According to the video and news report there is no proof that nobody called the police (911) right away, it's possible someone did and the responders were on the way. The fact that cars passing by did not stop and turn on their emergency flashers at least, not to mention pulling over and directing traffic around the man, is pretty cold. Someone seeing the "accident" could have gone to the man and checked for the simple things like breath, pulse, awareness. Even just holding a hand and talking. Most people in American cities and populated neighborhoods like this one don't react that way. Blee describes that very well, and it's perfectly normal.

I think the media has a lot to do with it. We see and hear the sensational incidents all around us and get used to them happening every evening at 6:00. Could be when the emergency occurs right in front of us, we are so freaked out that it's not 6:00 we don't know what to do... That's the shock that comes from seeing this kind of thing without a screen in between. It really is a kind of trauma. There is also the "excitement from seeing someone else being pwned" syndrome, I'll admit to watching those web videos of poor fools on skateboards, office chairs, homemade helicopters get squished bigtime due to their own bravado. Hell, cross that street? No way, man!

Another point is the idea that someone else will know what to do gives us an out. Here is where the news stories of the miracle paramedic appears on the scene come into mind. If I try to help and screw up while people are watching me, I'll be so embarassed. I might do the wrong thing.

Of course in most daytime situations people have things to do and places to be that they legitimately are more concerned about. Sure being fired from your job for being late because you took the time to save a life is a movie plot, but people actually worry about it and I'll bet it has actually happened more than once.

Sooo.... those are some excuses from healing the man and catching the street racers on the spot like Superduperman, I have to remind us that doing anything about it is doing good. I've saved a few lives but only due to happenstance and I need to remind myself to pay attention to everyone around me more often and at least help the little old ladies who drop stuff in the market.

I do remember a similar incident to this one where an old man collapsed and hit his head in front of one of the doors to the store I worked at. This was a cool slob job at a real swanky classic car dealership so the whole front was glass but of the four employees inside none of us saw the guy fall down. I was cleaning the 'throom, the girls were typing and the boss was concentrating on his cigar. Some rich wag had trouble getting through the door and was cursing at something. He yelled at the boss about letting drunks sleep on the sidewalk, so I went to see. It was an old man with a spot of blood on the sidewalk and a few people discussing his situation. I shouted inside that he was hurt and call the police, but the street parking ticket cop had walked up. The guy was okay, he sat up after a while. Meanwhile the boss shouts to get rid of him, get him away from my store. Point being nobody thought the man was hurt, they just assumed he was a sleeping wino. I didn't have any effect on the situation at all, but it did prove to me that it really is worth it to pay attention.

Here is something that really kicked my head when I was a kid about this kind of apathy, not to mention my luvvin Pop who will at 85 still say "Observe your surroundings, pay attention! If you break your leg, don't come running to me!" This link is the lyrics to a popular folk/protest song from the 1960's by Phil Ochs called 'Small Circle of Friends'. Phil Ochs ~ Outside of a Small Circle of Friends Hearing the tune is better, but you have to buy the LP! (or deal with the lousy YooToob covers) Most important, read the paragraph after the lyrics. It explains the origin of the song being a news story about Kitty Genovese who was brutally raped and murdered in the courtyard of her apartment building in New York City. All her neighbors heard her screams, nobody called the police.

Edited by Mugwump

All true. everything that's been said.

It is important to know how to act in these emergencies, and not because of George Bush and his favorite terrorists... unless you want to wrap the poor guy up in duct tape and leave him in the street while you quickly go shopping for big ticket items... *ahem, sorry*

According to the video and news report there is no proof that nobody called the police (911) right away, it's possible someone did and the responders were on the way. The fact that cars passing by did not stop and turn on their emergency flashers at least, not to mention pulling over and directing traffic around the man, is pretty cold. Someone seeing the "accident" could have gone to the man and checked for the simple things like breath, pulse, awareness. Even just holding a hand and talking. Most people in American cities and populated neighborhoods like this one don't react that way. Blee describes that very well, and it's perfectly normal.

I think the media has a lot to do with it. We see and hear the sensational incidents all around us and get used to them happening every evening at 6:00. Could be when the emergency occurs right in front of us, we are so freaked out that it's not 6:00 we don't know what to do... That's the shock that comes from seeing this kind of thing without a screen in between. It really is a kind of trauma. There is also the "excitement from seeing someone else being pwned" syndrome, I'll admit to watching those web videos of poor fools on skateboards, office chairs, homemade helicopters get squished bigtime due to their own bravado. Hell, cross that street? No way, man!

Another point is the idea that someone else will know what to do gives us an out. Here is where the news stories of the miracle paramedic appears on the scene come into mind. If I try to help and screw up while people are watching me, I'll be so embarassed. I might do the wrong thing.

Of course in most daytime situations people have things to do and places to be that they legitimately are more concerned about. Sure being fired from your job for being late because you took the time to save a life is a movie plot, but people actually worry about it and I'll bet it has actually happened more than once.

Sooo.... those are some excuses from healing the man and catching the street racers on the spot like Superduperman, I have to remind us that doing anything about it is doing good. I've saved a few lives but only due to happenstance and I need to remind myself to pay attention to everyone around me more often and at least help the little old ladies who drop stuff in the market.

I do remember a similar incident to this one where an old man collapsed and hit his head in front of one of the doors to the store I worked at. This was a cool slob job at a real swanky classic car dealership so the whole front was glass but of the four employees inside none of us saw the guy fall down. I was cleaning the 'throom, the girls were typing and the boss was concentrating on his cigar. Some rich wag had trouble getting through the door and was cursing at something. He yelled at the boss about letting drunks sleep on the sidewalk, so I went to see. It was an old man with a spot of blood on the sidewalk and a few people discussing his situation. I shouted inside that he was hurt and call the police, but the street parking ticket cop had walked up. The guy was okay, he sat up after a while. Meanwhile the boss shouts to get rid of him, get him away from my store. Point being nobody thought the man was hurt, they just assumed he was a sleeping wino. I didn't have any effect on the situation at all, but it did prove to me that it really is worth it to pay attention.

Here is something that really kicked my head when I was a kid about this kind of apathy, not to mention my luvvin Pop who will at 85 still say "Observe your surroundings, pay attention! If you break your leg, don't come running to me!" This link is the lyrics to a popular folk/protest song from the 1960's by Phil Ochs called 'Small Circle of Friends'. Phil Ochs ~ Outside of a Small Circle of Friends Hearing the tune is better, but you have to buy the LP! (or deal with the lousy YooToob covers) Most important, read the paragraph after the lyrics. It explains the origin of the song being a news story about Kitty Genovese who was brutally raped and murdered in the courtyard of her apartment building in New York City. All her neighbors heard her screams, nobody called the police.

Well put

Some people are assholes. Deal with it.

corrected*

Edited by Tempest

WTF!!!!!!

The guy who ran that guy over just kept on going.

I didn't even see if he stopped. This is worse than murdering someone. You run a guy over then u drive like nothing happened.

I HOPE THAT THIS GUY GETS IN JAIL.

At least he could have stopped and helped this guy.

Ultimately, for decent people, the "hit-and-run" screams against everything we all believe - not one but two people who are in a hurry cross a CLEAR double-yellow line - this means "no passing" in most states of the USA, AFAIK. The first apparently clips the guy, the second clearly levels him. How often I see idiocies like this every day.

As Labrat and others point out, one, you don't put yourself in imminent danger to help a victim - if you add yourself to the body count, you help NO ONE. And, two, in an accident such as this, you NEVER move the injured party unless you are properly trained to do so, AND you have proper equipment for doing such - lacking either of these , the only reason you WOULD move the victim is if they were in imminent danger where they lay (with traffic stopped, I would say the idea thing is to get paramedics on scene and leave the man where he was until they worked on stabilizing him). In a way, knowing what can happen if you do something and you don't know what you're doing, I'm kind of glad no one tried to be a hero too quickly.

The part I want to focus on is the part everyone seems to take for granted - the crazy drivers. They are probably doing what they've probably done hundreds of times, and this may be the first time either of them connected with someone. My point is that they are doing things that I would bet there are people on this forum who wouldn't condemn them, if they just hadn't hit the guy. With the increase in traffic, people need to learn to drive SMART. Things like cutting around traffic at a double-yellow line, tailgating, cutting people off to get two car-lengths farther ahead, all can add up to serious accidents. Honestly, these drivers need to be brought to justice. But, I don't think the man himself has justice if, yes, the drivers are caught, but other people don't take a look at their own driving - from the way they performed that maneuver, I doubt that it was the first time for them, or that they are the only ones. It could have been worse - there were cars coming the other way too...

And the last thing I should mention - you take your chances with jay-walking.

First off, as bad as it may sound, seeing the vid and t

Expected that.

Too bad?

I find death to be beautiful in some ways, that is what I believe.

It is a pity for those who remain and mourn, but really.. too bad.

-Blee

I actually lol'd at that post. Emo post is emo.

Emo is failure, in an epic style.

Also, it might be wise to learn the definition of the words 'death' and 'murder'.

:P

(I actually rewrote this post so many times... seriously, that post angered me greatly.)

I know it goes without saying but I might aswell post it before someone else goes and screams it in this thread.

Death wouldn't be so 'beautiful' if it was someone close to you.

Posted before you deny it.

Agreed