Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Video tutorial

Now, BEFORE WE START, let's see if we have any volunteer who wants to do that, and let us discuss other aspects of the tutorials. If someone has sugestions, please post.
I would be willing. Made a sample video for character creation, 1:44 min long

Posted it on zhsare, since I dunno how to put it on a website.

High Quality (14MB)

Lower Quality (4MB)

REQUIREMENTS:

1. NO background music (copyright issues). Using the game music is OK though. done

2. The video quality should be as high as possible. [/b] 25 fps [/b]

3. It should be voiced over by a native English speaker, with good diction. The voice over should explain all the actions taken. Done

4. Feel free to edit the video to add arrows pointing to GUI elements and so on. This is not required, but it is encouraged. Put a few

5. The final video should be free of watermarks (stuff such as "video capture trial version"). I purchased the software I used, so no watermarks

6. Ideally, the maker of the video should keep a non voiced over version of the video, to allow other people to translate it in different languages. Did

Since it is separate clips joined together, and the text can be changed too, everything is easy to edit. Will try the 'in game' tutorial if anyone has any recommendations.

Nice, why is your Gamma so high?

I agree with aislinn you talk a bit too quickly and the arrows disappear very fast, but otherwise it explains it quite nicely :P

Response to Aisy

0 Thanks for suggestions/advice :(

#1. Didn't do this because I recorded on Mac, and I think it would just be confusing since most users are windows. Will record a short clip on my PC and stick it in at some point.

#2. Redid the voice over, knew it was bad the first time :P was also due to "fading" sound at the end of each section, which was removed.

#3. Did.

1:55 min long now, redid the whole voiceover, made some parts still images for longer, etc.

New link for high quality: Link

New link for low quality: Link

And yes, I do know that their are a few places where there is an awkward jump between frames. (specifically around 1:28) This is because when I re-recorded it was at a different resolution, couldn't figure out how to get it the same. Will fix tomorrow.

Edited by Atlantis

#1. Didn't do this because I recorded on Mac, and I think it would just be confusing since most users are windows. Will record a short clip on my PC and stick it in at some point.
Actually, upon thinking about it, a little shot of each would be great: One for windows, one for Mac, one for Linux if different yet?

#2. Redid the voice over, knew it was bad the first time :) was also due to "fading" sound at the end of each section, which was removed.
Much better :) Your voice is clear and you are very easy to understand.

#3. Did.
Nice, thank you. We get a fair number of questions about being named Player too :)

Looking forward to seeing your next installment :P

Will try the 'in game' tutorial if anyone has any recommendations.

Are you going to do this? I'd really like to see what you can do with this. Not sure if ent has seen your character creation entry yet, but I think you have exactly the right idea of what we need.

Atlantis is so Pr0!

As for making one for every OS, I think this is beyound the scope of this tutorial. if someone can't figure out how to run a program, well, then they should buy a "computers for dummies" book.

Atlantis is so Pr0!

As for making one for every OS, I think this is beyound the scope of this tutorial. if someone can't figure out how to run a program, well, then they should buy a "computers for dummies" book.

No no no, I meant just that little screen at the beginning showing where to find the .exe.

Possibly a quick note on the two separate EL folders and their locations as well.

Atlantis is so Pr0!

No no no, I meant just that little screen at the beginning showing where to find the .exe.

Possibly a quick note on the two separate EL folders and their locations as well.

Yes, but for that you dont need separate video clips for each operating system.

Just add the info in one video and everything should be fine :whistle:

Piper

Nice job, Atlantis, but I have one small concern.

You seem to have the same issue that I have in that we both have a black sky. I'm wondering if we should wait on this until the sky test comes out for mac? I was going to make a video myself, but I'm waiting to get through this emo phase of the game :cry: .

Maybe I'm being too picky.

Dunno about the sky, maybe it needs to be a different version than I am using? Since the video is really a help vid, rather than an advertisement, effects are not really important in my opinion.

Fixed the "jumps" in quality, think this vid is pretty much done. If someone would make a video showing them opening the .exe, I can add it, but boot camp is not working right now and can't get to PC at the moment.

Link

1. If anybody can make an opening screenshot of the 3 OS .exe's or shortcuts to start the game, that would be great.

2. Can you make all of your arrows to be the size and boldness of the arrows used in the player creation screen (where you describe the p2p and free characters). Right now you use thin black arrows in the beginning (ok), the thick white ones in the p2p description (best imo), and thin white ones through the rest (not very noticeable).

3. Maybe change "and when you are confident" to "when you are satisfied with your name choice and looks" or something a bit more descriptive of what we are supposed to be confident about.

Excellent job, thank you very much! :cry: (sorry for being so picky :cry: )

1. If anybody can make an opening screenshot of the 3 OS .exe's or shortcuts to start the game, that would be great.

Umm, I will reiterate (and rephrase a little): I think that showing the user how click on the icon is:

File0004101.JPG

Umm, I will reiterate (and rephrase a little): I think that showing the user how click on the icon is:

<insert dumb image here>

I don't use an icon, I have to run a binary from terminal.

cd ~/games/EL160
./elcvs050508fpv.bin

Not everyone clicky clickies.

S.

PS the el download page mentions something about an install.sh, which doesn't even exist as far as I know. If you aren't going to include this stuff in the vid, at least get the textual st00f right in the download page. :cry:

Oh and people like this clearly aren't just double clicking on stuff to install and run the game, so...It ain't just about excluding the people who cant click twice in quick succession.

Edited by Spleenfeeder
I had more stuff to say \o/

Bleh it's NOT "ghey" :P

People ask this stuff!

I don't use an icon, I have to run a binary from terminal.

cd ~/games/EL160
./elcvs050508fpv.bin

Not everyone clicky clickies.

See? Exactly!

people who don't know how to start an application most likely will never find this game since it requires them to start a browser first...

Not bad kl4Uz! but you gotta only use official data :bow_arrow:

Also, I noticed you typed #cls, it's best to explain everything you do, or just not do it.

Also, does your screen really flicker like that, whenever you click on an option for the new character screen for example?

Not bad kl4Uz! but you gotta only use official data :P

Also, I noticed you typed #cls, it's best to explain everything you do, or just not do it.

Also, does your screen really flicker like that, whenever you click on an option for the new character screen for example?

dang, the custom maps :bow_arrow::P I just wrote #cls because the screen was so full of text with the low resolution I used that I couldn't see much, but you are right Roja.

About the flickering. I know it's really annoying, but it's somehow a problem of the compression I used with the screencapturing tool. When I didn't use a compression, then the quality is perfect, but a 5 second video was about 500MB :S

I will see what I can do to improve the quality. Maybe someone who is more experienced with video creation and editing has some usefull hints for me?

About the flickering. I know it's really annoying, but it's somehow a problem of the compression I used with the screencapturing tool. When I didn't use a compression, then the quality is perfect, but a 5 second video was about 500MB :S

Can't you compress it after recording it?

Can we please add text for DEAF people - I dont know if im teh only one who actualy plays at the moment, but it would be nice if new DEAF people could have insructions too.

Tiz

Can we please add text for DEAF people - I dont know if im teh only one who actualy plays at the moment, but it would be nice if new DEAF people could have insructions too.

Tiz

Only , If I know how to add the text to this film. Subtitle is bit hard to add to films. If you are deaf. You would need subtitle for instructions how to create character. I would use this Tutorial Video Tutorial with Text.

Edited by agrilles

Add test tutorial info.

when back add a text instructions each of the video tutorials. I had made. I added the text instructions for the deaf community of Eternal-lands. Video/Audio/Text Tutorials

I had been working on other tutorials for the Newbie FAQ.

Thanks

Agrilles

Edited by agrilles

Can't you compress it after recording it?

Right now I can't since the space on my laptop harddisk is currently very limited. However I will work on a new version without (hopefully) flickering :rolleyes: