Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Sky Test client 2

Works fine (as usually). Lack of WSAD is painful now:(

It's not "painful" at all imo, I think the mouse + map walking is great...and no we're not changing to that system :icon13: It's nice for simply playing games, but not for playing mmo's imo, because chatting is such a large part of it. EL's chat interface I always liked above any other mmo I tried, because you simply TYPE to type. No need to go into a special chat window button and blah blah.

Works Fine for me! Great Work! :D

Here a few pic's of the new sky...

New Sky Photos

Nice sky pictures Samy! What video card are you using?

Video card: GeForce FX 5200/AGP/SSE/3DNOW!

Vendor ID: NVIDIA Corporation

OpenGL Version: 2.0.3

:)

I have been playing with skybox for some months, and it just keeps improving. It is really looking good now, compliments to everyone involved!

stickemup.jpg

The new camera motion is taking some getting used to, particularly when I use the keyboard arrows instead of the mouse middle button to turn the camera, but I am sure it is just my inertia stopping me adapting quicker. :D

Cheers, S.

Edit: I have also noticed, however, since the last cvs build I did (yesterday) the FPS have dropped considerably. I have lowered the far plane dist to below 60 and still the problem persists.

Edited by Spleenfeeder
Forgot FPS thing.

Edit: I have also noticed, however, since the last cvs build I did (yesterday) the FPS have dropped considerably. I have lowered the far plane dist to below 60 and still the problem persists.

Is it always or only when you have reflections?

Actually, the reflections have been changed a bit because there were problems with far objects that were not always reflected. So now it should be a bit slower when you enable reflections.

I always have everything on. ;)

Is it important that far object get reflected? I mean, at the expense of 70% or more of my fps? (I limit at 40, and typically when it IS uncapped i am up over 300 in some outdoor places, but in WV looking west from the ore buyer I was down to 8-9 fps)

S.

Is it always or only when you have reflections?

Actually, the reflections have been changed a bit because there were problems with far objects that were not always reflected. So now it should be a bit slower when you enable reflections.

I'm seeing the exact same thing with reflections enabled - the FPS drop is quite significant in some areas. Do we really need to reflect those far objects?

It still crashes seconds after starting. My character is in DP. Poor Man is enabled on my regular character, and I didn't see any options to change in the main folder. Which folder do I find the settings to be changed.

The sky and water are beautiful by the way, I just wish I could keep it running.

You can update some settings in the el.ini file located in:

C:\Documents and Settings\*whatever your user name is*\My Documents\Eternal Lands\main

Roja, thank you for the response. I do understand how to find the file, I just don't understand where to change the settings. Do I change it in the el configuration settings folder? When I open that folder, windows opens a text document in notepad. I can manipulate the text, but do not see an option to save. Will it save automatically when I close notepad?

Also I have poorman enabled and render fog off (on a 3 month old machine w/ updated video drivers), what other settings can I try to prevent the crash?

Edited to add below:

LOL, :P nevermind I can save the document in notepad (a little tired as I was up with a cranky toddler all night). I do still need to know what other settings to try to prevent the crash.

Edited by Lissandria

I honestly don't know what settings will prevent a crash. All I can say is try one, save it, open the client, see if anything changed. If you are successfull and found that one setting worked, please post here so others can know about it too if they are crashing.

Wow!!! The graphics are striking and beautiful!

Unfortunately, I am having the same inside map crashing problems that I had with the current client and before the no_clusters version. Also, I have periodically experienced the same odd graphics that JimP is experiencing.

Also, prior to this client, to do a "fine rotation" I used shift with the directional keys. Now, that doesn't seem to engage the fine rotation, it rotates the normal amount with or without the use of the shift key.

Edited by Ozmondius

Unfortunately, I am having the same inside map crashing problems that I had with the current client and before the no_clusters version. Also, I have periodically experienced the same odd graphics that JimP is experiencing.

Can you reproduce the crashes? And what is your location when it happens?

There's maybe some bugs left with the clusters code and maybe the weird graphics come from the same thing. I can't reproduce the weird graphics but if you have a crash it means there are maybe some bad values somewhere so I can maybe catch them and locate the problem...

Can you reproduce the crashes? And what is your location when it happens?

Yes, i can reliably reproduce the crashes. Inside maps, always "manmade" structures, not caves and crashes when I rotate camera view in either direction. Some inside places are bad, others aren't. Particularly bad are AA storage and SRM storage. It never happens outside, only on inside maps.

The strange graphics happen both inside and outside and I can not consistently reproduce them. They just seem to "happen" from time to time.

Looks like you can see the sky below the castle wall in PV here is a pic. For me it happened in both FP and perspective.

gallery_44208_40_38556.jpg

Dunno if it's a sky client problem but haven't noticed it before now.

I think I found a few cosmetic problems. Buildings out of place.

In PV the storage NPC is a bit inside the wall.

In EVTR the building that is on top of the cellar that leads to the caves is moved a few tiles.

I think I found a few cosmetic problems. Buildings out of place.

In PV the storage NPC is a bit inside the wall.

In EVTR the building that is on top of the cellar that leads to the caves is moved a few tiles.

Are you sure you installed this last package correctly? The evtr building was already fixed-in this pack. As for the PV storag.e..i don't see the npc inside the wall at all, except it's name when you turn the camera.

I've installed the files from the #1 client zip file.

I'm using Linux and I have tried the CVS client with SKY_FPV and without it with the same results. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, I don't know.

Steps:

I've downloaded the original 1.6.0 client, extracted EL_skytest01.zip to my clean in_install and then this problem happens.

And I searched for updated files but from the #2 client but this #2 client seems to be just a binary.

If you think I'm doing something wrong, please fell free to ignore my posts.

Oh ok, I'm sorry my fault. I thought Entropy made a new pack with the data files as well. Guess not :)

:~) Everything is lovely so far.

The sky is beautiful and the sunsets really have changed my perspective on Morcraven just being a dreary marsh... only thing that's happened is some flickering water in C1 portals but I can generally make it go away by shifting the angle. The arrows rotation will take some getting used to but all in all I love it :~)

Thank you so much!

~*hugz*~

elsky022008042918564003ql3.jpg

p.s. and the leveling effects :wub:

Edited by bugabear