Eternal Lands Official Forums
LabRat

The whole c't thing

What's on the Disc from the website :

Eternal Lands 1.5.0, kostenlos win.gif

Englisch, Spiele > Rollenspiele

Episches Online-Fantasy-Rollenspiel, bei dem man zwei Rassen kostenlos spielen kann, mit sehr komplexen Strukturen; etwa einen Monat nach Erscheinen dieser c't-Software-Kollection wird ein größeres Update online kostenlos verfügbar sein

Eternal Lands 1.5.0, kostenlos macosx.gif

Episches Online-Fantasy-Rollenspiel, bei dem man zwei Rassen kostenlos spielen kann, mit sehr komplexen Strukturen; etwa einen Monat nach Erscheinen dieser c't-Software-Kollection wird ein größeres Update online kostenlos verfügbar sein

Eternal Lands - Sound 1.5.0, kostenlos win.gifmacosx.gif

Sound zum epischen Online-Fantasy-Rollenspiel

(i let the germans do a precise translation, but in general it says

Online fantasy roleplaying game. free game , in about a month or so there will be a big update wich you can download for free

)

Eternal Lands 1.5.0, kostenlos win.gif

Eternal Lands 1.5.0, kostenlos macosx.gif

Eternal Lands - Sound 1.5.0, kostenlos win.gifmacosx.gif

Sound zum epischen Online-Fantasy-Rollenspiel

epic Rollplaying game, where you can play 2 races for free (isnt it 3? lol), with very complex structure. Around 1 month after the appearance of this c't software collection there will be a bigger update online for free.

the second says exactly the same... and the third is "sound for the epic online fantasy rollplaying game"

Yes, I noticed that too (I used the google translation).

I wonder if they have a review of the game in the actual magazine, they said they will have a review, and not just a few words. But looking at the PDF of the first 2 pages, I didn't see it there, although they did mention other games.

So if you ge tthe magazine, let me know if there is any review of the game at all.

A colleague just sent me a scan of the article.

eternallandsct408uc9.png

I'm trying a rough translation:

Since the groundbreaking million player game WoW had its tremendous success the Online-RPGs have left their niche of exclusive esoteric fun for internet geeks and have also bound many regular users to the fun of questing, monster hunts and trading of artefacts.

To go on a treasure hunt with players from all over the world is usally bound to expensive subscriptions. In Eternal Lands however you can play for free (besides the ISP connection fees) as Dwarf, Elf or Human in a complex multiplayer fantasy world. As expected there are potions, weapons and armor of different qualities and effects plus a lot of tasks you can work on with other players. There are additional races only playable for a fee. Also some items for comfort and time saving can be bought for real money too.

In contrast to other RPGs Eternal Lands has no character classes. The player decides wether his character will become a fighter, mage or healer. Another specialty of Eternal Lands is its calmness. Instead of hectic monster hunts from the start there is a tutorial phase where the player learns how to control his character and starts hunting rabbits and beavers.

Windows user with the up to date Nvidia-Forceware drivers are advised to install a patch to avoid crashes. The patch should be available when this issue of c't hits the shelves.

Edited by ago

Considering the fact that it's only a paragraph review in a large magazine that comes out every 2 weeks the chances of having a large number of people on at a time from there were very very slim. Chances are more likely that we'll get people from there but spread out over any amount of time, as someone could decide a few months from now to try out EL that's on the dvd of that magazine that they bought a while back.

So anyway, it's cool that Eternal Lands got mentioned in a magazine, any magazine, and we will get some people from there, but nothing significant. C'T was also nice enough to send us a copy of the magazine, so we can store it away as a nice accomplishment with our other 2- first being in the finish Enter magazine back in 2005, and then a much bigger/nicer review in the UK Linux magazine :)

So, how many new users have been registred this week? I didn't notice a single thing about more players to be honest...

i noticed a few (~5) new players in the german channel, maybe some more silent readers there :)

but impossible to count that exactly many may not join the channel.

something like "whois <ip>| grep country" for the new accounts may give a accurate info ^^

Considering the fact that it's only a paragraph review in a large magazine that comes out every 2 weeks the chances of having a large number of people on at a time from there were very very slim. Chances are more likely that we'll get people from there but spread out over any amount of time, as someone could decide a few months from now to try out EL that's on the dvd of that magazine that they bought a while back.

So anyway, it's cool that Eternal Lands got mentioned in a magazine, any magazine, and we will get some people from there, but nothing significant. C'T was also nice enough to send us a copy of the magazine, so we can store it away as a nice accomplishment with our other 2- first being in the finish Enter magazine back in 2005, and then a much bigger/nicer review in the UK Linux magazine :devlish:

well then, congratulations to all EL dev/mods! :)

...and then a much bigger/nicer review in the UK Linux magazine :)

That was the review that got me, and many others playing. They often do follow-ups to previous reviews so it might be worth getting in touch again, possibly when the missile version is released. With sound, special effects, more skills, maps and objects etc, since the review there would be lots to cover. Did you contact Linux Format or was it Linuxgirl? I'd happily drop them an email and inquire if you wish.

So anyway, it's cool that Eternal Lands got mentioned in a magazine, any magazine, and we will get some people from there, but nothing significant. C'T was also nice enough to send us a copy of the magazine, so we can store it away as a nice accomplishment with our other 2- first being in the finish Enter magazine back in 2005, and then a much bigger/nicer review in the UK Linux magazine :)

The Review in Linux Format was how I found Eternal Lands. I still have the magizine.

Oh that's cool you guys came from there! They did make a really nice review with screenshots too. I think someone from that magazine contacted us..Linuxgirl sounds familiar so maybe it was her :)