Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
conavar

KF forts

I would bet 100kgc that if there was only one "no-drop-map", other PK maps would have been abandoned for good. Everyone would just be in this map. So one map or all of them doesn't really matters IMO.

not really... DP arena would still be used as lower a/d's players would like to fight against players of there own level instead of being killed all the time by uber pr0's ( the same as it is now on NDD's)

I am sorry, I didn't make myself clear in first post. By maps, I meant maps like KF, TD and Thelinor, not arenas :)

I am sorry, I didn't make myself clear in first post. By maps, I meant maps like KF, TD and Thelinor, not arenas :P

that maybe true ....... but those maps are empty now anyway :)

Edited by conavar

Everybody knows I'm the person who always says I don't like PK, only PvP, but I'm also the person who always says that I would PK if PK was done differently in EL. I used to post only rarely in PK threads, but since the PK server started, I am more interested in changing PK in the main server now, because I figure people who like it the old way can go to the PK server. So, my thoughts are:

1- As Zamirah said, everybody just hangs around the...

adding more 'intresting' spots in the map wont make much difference... it will only increase the time it takes to patrol the map untill you go camp at the entrance.

2- To let people get past the entrance before dying, how about putting two portals to different places ...

The point of PK'ing is not to avoid stronger people and pick off the weaker people who try to run away from you so they can pick off even weaker people. The general aim is to kill all your enemies (those 'big-hitters' included), not play hide and seek with them.

3- If another reason people hang around the VotD entrance is that the lack of trees makes fighting easier, then let's plant some trees there...

The reason the lack of trees makes fighting easier is that its easier to walk and fight between those tree, without having your view from above obstructed from your/enemy's healthbar, and also to see what weapon they are using (for example: to see if they are using bod/brod so u hav to change to red cape), and it generally makes chasing someone easier when you walk manually (IE not mapwalking) if there is less trees.

If the goal of PK maps is to get people PKing inside the maps, then the map should be edited to make fighting harder...

You will notice that this is not a first person shooter game, and that the only way of fighting is by attacking someone and initiating combat (from which you have to flee/diss/kill/die to disengage), also if people want to get away they use teleport rings/spells. Also there is little use of hiding in a clump of bushes if you have some huge letters and numbers floating above your head to reveal your location.

4- Another issue that a lot of people have mentioned a lot of times is attitude. I have to say that I think PKers have to decide what they want PK to be...

Korrode answered this already.

But it seems like most EL PKers only want stand-up fighting for points, so they never actually use the features of the maps..

So I ask PKers (rhetorically), what do you want? Do you want to compete for points, or do you want to have warfare play...

Have you ever PK'd before? The terrain gives you no advantage at all, for a further answer to this, revert to the answer before the previous one.

5- As for the high cost of PK, that solution is simple too. Use cheaper gear. :) Yes, it's true that certain players will always be camped out with full dragon-bling/etc that can beat anything else...

There is no use in using inferior weaponry if you will never win a fight with it... all that will happen is you keep losing, so you have to use the highest level equipment available to you.

6- Give a point to PK. Organize wargame events. Grant prizes and/or titles that winners can include in their gossip bios. Have some guild wars already. Let a PK guild move into one or more of those forts, declare it their headquarters, and challenge all comers to try and force them out (seige war). And so forth.

There is no practical purpose to this... there are events similar to this, but for all the roleplay they are still just a bunch of people fighting.. if there is no reason/reward to occupy a fort and turning it into a base (other than it looking like thats whats being done) there is no point... you should be able to gain something from it, or it should give you an advantage in doing so, but currently it makes no difference if im in a fort PK'ing sum1, or at the entrance PK'ing sum1.

Or if all that sounds boring or too much trouble, then forget it. Just keep doing what you're doing because it's what you like to do, and quit bitching if not more people want to do it with you.

The people who PK did not create this game and they did not set up how the PK'ing system works... they can only work with what is given to them, and 'bitching' here in suggestions forum is the only way to make it better.

I strongly suggest to anyone who is not familiar with the PK system as it currently is to not make very complicated suggestions, you have to understand the foundation of how something works, before you try building something on it.

adding more 'intresting' spots in the map wont make much difference... it will only increase the time it takes to patrol the map untill you go camp at the entrance.

That's a good thing.

The OP is suggesting that it would be good to get people off the entrances to other parts of the map. Making them go patrol would accomplish that for a little while at least. This would give others, who do want to use the whole map, some chance of getting through it to things like forts and whatnot.

The point of PK'ing is not to avoid stronger people and pick off the weaker people who try to run away from you so they can pick off even weaker people. The general aim is to kill all your enemies (those 'big-hitters' included), not play hide and seek with them.

If you want to fight at the entrance, then do it, and don't use the portals. But if my goal is to make you chase me into the map for whatever reason, or just to get past you so I can get to a fort or something, then I would use the portals.

The reason the lack of trees makes fighting easier is that its easier to walk and fight between those tree, without having your view from above obstructed from your/enemy's healthbar, and also to see what weapon they are using (for example: to see if they are using bod/brod so u hav to change to red cape), and it generally makes chasing someone easier when you walk manually (IE not mapwalking) if there is less trees.

No, kidding, really? (sarcasm, sorry.)

I know all that, St. That's why I suggested it to make camping at the entrance less attractive.

You will notice that this is not a first person shooter game, and that the only way of fighting is by attacking someone and initiating combat (from which you have to flee/diss/kill/die to disengage), also if people want to get away they use teleport rings/spells. Also there is little use of hiding in a clump of bushes if you have some huge letters and numbers floating above your head to reveal your location.

Well, you know, in invasions, you can use the clumps of bushes to slow down the thing that's chasing you by complicating the path it has to follow. It's tricky and it doesn't always work, but it does sometimes. It's how I survived holding a giant in a spot in an open field until masterpiter got there to kill it.

Now, of course, that will be much harder to do in PK because an intelligent person is controlling your opponent, but it can still be done if the terrain is arranged properly. This becomes more useful with archery (referring again to the OP, who is suggesting that archery will make the forts more useful) and mage craft, which are remote attacks.

So I'm not talking about hiding. Hiding is what invisibility and camo capes are for.

Korrode answered this already.

I happen to agree with Korrode, pretty much.

Have you ever PK'd before? The terrain gives you no advantage at all, for a further answer to this, revert to the answer before the previous one.

For a further answer to this refer to my answer before the previous one.

There is no use in using inferior weaponry if you will never win a fight with it... all that will happen is you keep losing, so you have to use the highest level equipment available to you.

Then people should not complain about how much it costs. Either find a way to make the money faster, or PK less often.

There is no practical purpose to this... there are events similar to this, but for all the roleplay they are still just a bunch of people fighting.. if there is no reason/reward to occupy a fort and turning it into a base (other than it looking like thats whats being done) there is no point... you should be able to gain something from it, or it should give you an advantage in doing so, but currently it makes no difference if im in a fort PK'ing sum1, or at the entrance PK'ing sum1.

No "practical" purpose? I thought this was a game, and we're all playing here. That's like saying there's no practical purpose to dodge ball.

If there is a "practical" purpose to PK, I thought it was the DBs and PK points. So the more PK there is, the more loot and points change hands. And if events like that could get people to PK, then the "practical" purpose would have been fulfilled.

The people who PK did not create this game and they did not set up how the PK'ing system works... they can only work with what is given to them, and 'bitching' here in suggestions forum is the only way to make it better.

I strongly suggest to anyone who is not familiar with the PK system as it currently is to not make very complicated suggestions, you have to understand the foundation of how something works, before you try building something on it.

I have to be honest and say that I just do not believe that my suggestions would not work in EL as it is set up now. Someday, when I am stronger, I will try to prove it. But feel free to ignore my input entirely, if you like.

I think PKers simply need to stop complaining about dying and messing up there PK scores and just enjoy the PKing itself. This may never happen, but it seems the only way to help solve the problem.

best sentence about pking i've ever seen

the only thing we need to get pk alive is people with B-A-L-L-S

I think PKers simply need to stop complaining about dying and messing up there PK scores and just enjoy the PKing itself. This may never happen, but it seems the only way to help solve the problem.

best sentence about pking i've ever seen

the only thing we need to get pk alive is people with B-A-L-L-S

Is 2 enough? Or need more :icon13:

i think the only way to get people into pk maps is maybe to add some resources or anything that would give people a reason to go into a pk map other than pking. I dont have aproblem with the pk system or the cost of it the only problem is i can never find any1 to pk lol

i dont think there is anyhting wrong with the pk system especially now with caps once you get 60+a/d and a col with restore you gotta be pretty slow on the diss tele to die to nearly any1. The problem seems to be people will only fight if they are garaunteed to win and there is no chance of dieing. So i think tempest has got it about right most people who want to pk should grow a set and get out there and pk.

i think the only way to get people into pk maps is maybe to add some resources or anything that would give people a reason to go into a pk map other than pking.

We have already maps like this, I use to harvest there - without armor/weapon and diss ring.

Never been attacked.

Edited by Zamirah