Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
groomsh

"Save counters after each change" patch commited

That means the counters file is written after every hit, every cast, every harvest. Not an option mobile users on battery should use.

Because of the relatively low implications to gaming (read, none) a couple of counts lost should be acceptable, they are not always correct anyway, so why not write the counters file in regular intervals instead?

I don't know how other people, but i love my counters ;)

As to the mobile users ... well counters file is not that large and with OS buffering writes to hard drive that should also not be a problem (i think).

But then, saving in regular intervals is also an option.

I'd like to see such a change too but a similar patch was already rejected with this comment

the only thing this would help with is crashes, and there's better ways to attack those... this would only cause more I/O time it could, on the other hand, cause issues if more than one client is trying to sue counters at once

http://developer.berlios.de/patch/index.ph...p;group_id=1256

Ah sorry, didn't saw that one.

How could several clients use the same counters file ? (Was it related to the implementation where counters files were not per player ?)

Well, anyway, that's overkill.

Maybe have them saved every 5 minutes or something, but not at each modification. That wastes CPU time, battery, prevents the drives from going to stand by, and the the benefit is very small, especially that with the latest CVS the client is much more stable.