Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Man (player) eating leopard

since when has c2 been a place for newbies? there's a reason the entrance is secret, and that it costs money to get there. if you can't deal, buy the harvestables, or find them on c1.

Well that was a helpful post.... bit of "selective" reading going on there too.

I said C2 was good for Intermediate ... and possibly I should have said Intermediate to Advanced.

If we keep hyping up C2... then it will only be C1 for Miners... C2 for Fighters.

You can't expect miners to dress like warriors. "Well wear more armor then!!!" We're not fighters... we're miners!

Should fighters have to carry oil... and if they run out of oil.. their armour turns brittle?

"But then we can't carry as much booty from all the creatures we kill!!!!"

No kidding.... we both suffer from EMU limitations... but it seems only the miners have to cope with new restrictions.

*snort*

i find your sarcasm hilarious. selective reading? i wasn't even talking to you. i was talking to lilbear. i was just too lazy to quote her post. please refrain from ignorance in the future.

*snort*

i find your sarcasm hilarious. selective reading? i wasn't even talking to you. i was talking to lilbear. i was just too lazy to quote her post. please refrain from ignorance in the future.

Once again, you have added nothing to this post....

I wasn't trying to be sarcastic... I was trying to clarify my earlier post that was supposedly attacked by you. I didn't realize quoting took so much effort.

If you plan to Flame someones opinion... then at least put in the effort to QUOTE the person your attacking... instead of just throwing out a FLAME GRENADE at everyone else's efforts.

We never did get to hear all of your insiteful input to this discussion... care to share?

I love this idea and am all for it. When I read Ent's first post, my concerns immediately went Acelon's thread about how to get some of the C2 maps more frequented, but if done right, I think this creature could in fact be the answer to the problem. Imagine this:

What if he/she/it drops something completely unique (my first thought is a feather used in the upcoming arrows) every ten minutes or so rather than as a death bag? Since there is no other way of collecting this item, and many are needed, hunters would be required. What a great guild project! Also, since it is a rather regular drop, hunters can actually track him. It would also serve as a warning to the lone harvester.

Personally, I think the creature should roam all of C2 if the above scenario were to be used. The more maps used, the more hunters are needed since he would be rather elusive. I think he should even wander to the insides such as Dra Se or other various caves, temples, and schools.

I am very excited about this idea.

The constant drops is a very good idea.

Could REASONING have some sort of effect....if you have a high reasoning, then you could have TRACKING abilities?

Similar to Night Vison Goggles... you would get a hint of a direction the beast is heading towards?

Ohhh...and in order to utilize your TRACKING skill... you have to be armor and weaponless... so as a tracker, you are hired to find the beast for a group of hunters.

Also, if the beast is wounded, and it escapes... would it leave a blood trail... that eventually melts into the mud?

And will a wounded beast be more dangerous than a healthy one?

Edited by jiminma50

I agree with some of the points made above (and will add to them):

* This leopard would not travel by boat (even if he had a ticket, the crew wouldn't let him on).

* He might hunt in caves, but he wouldn't use ladders to go up/down levels.

* He probably wouldn't enter any cities (to many people). He definitely wouldn't go inside any buildings (no opposable thumbs to work the door latches).

* He'd be a dusk-to-dawn hunter and would hide/sleep during the daylight hours since he avoids light and people.

Such animals are usually frightened off by loud noises. Perhaps walking around with a frying pan and a hammer (banging them together) could provide safety from such a creature.

Personally, I think he should honor MM (there's a reason some of us got that perk and avoid maps that have critters that ignore it). But dusk-dawn hunting would help with that some as the maps would be safe at least half the day.

I agree with some of the points made above (and will add to them):

* This leopard would not travel by boat (even if he had a ticket, the crew wouldn't let him on).

* He might hunt in caves, but he wouldn't use ladders to go up/down levels.

* He probably wouldn't enter any cities (to many people). He definitely wouldn't go inside any buildings (no opposable thumbs to work the door latches).

* He'd be a dusk-to-dawn hunter and would hide/sleep during the daylight hours since he avoids light and people.

I like all of these points. He's a very dangerous animal. It will be hard to escape him. It doesn't have to be impossible to escape him, though.

Such animals are usually frightened off by loud noises. Perhaps walking around with a frying pan and a hammer (banging them together) could provide safety from such a creature.

LOL, I only just love this idea, completely, with all my heart. :blush:

Personally, I think he should honor MM (there's a reason some of us got that perk and avoid maps that have critters that ignore it). But dusk-dawn hunting would help with that some as the maps would be safe at least half the day.

I have MM perk and swear by it, even though I'm primarily a monster hunter. But as long as Entropy keeps to his original idea of having the animal not respawn for 20 hours after it is killed, then I think the threat from it will be low enough that it will not be more of a problem than GIWS invasions.

Also, I like the idea someone else posted of having server announcements of when the beast is killed. That way, monster-averse people might be around to hear when it is safe to visit C2, if they're that worried.

I also like Sygon's idea of constant drops, both as incentive to hunt/track it and as a warning to travelers/harvesters.

And, say, Entropy, if you want to help the EL non-violent types even more, you might pick places for the beast to spawn, like at crossroads on the maps. All kinds of horrible, scary things appear randomly at crossroads, you know. It's natural to avoid them, especially at night.

Guest ohmygod

I like the idea.

Will rostogol stones still protect your stuff if you die to it? If so:

@ the "harvesters" carry one and harvest/move in groups.

I love the idea!

I want to address some concerns here:

* DBs: since it will only attack in (more or less) unpopulated areas, chances are good that a db will still be there when the owner comes back from underworld

* Irilion's attractiveness: won't suffer, there are a lot of maps, the monster takes 20 hours to respawn. I don't know how others have adjusted to the increased number of random automatic invasion paths but I just limit myself to excavator cloak, harvesting tools, food and a ring when I know there's a map bug nearby when I'm afkish. Possible loss is thus limited to less than 3kgc, less if you go hunting for your db afterwards :blush:

So, in conclusion: badabababaaa and fear of the dark! :D

Sounds cool man Only people with really good site could see him and the lepord should get a bonus roll for suprising people like a theif does 2x or somthing mby a wimper version for ws?

I like the idea.

Will rostogol stones still protect your stuff if you die to it? If so:

@ the "harvesters" carry one and harvest/move in groups.

If you're a harvester wearing enough to need to carry a rosto, you'll probably be wearing a CoL, in which case you should be able to withstand a hit from this leopard. In which case, carry a dis ring too. :blush: Giving you time to run erm... walk away, there's little need for groups if my theory works.

I like the whole idea of the man eating leopard thing, but rostos not working while being attacked/attacking would prob be a bad idea.

o.k say you training in a map, and this "man eating leopard" jumps at you and you carn't diss from the 2 monsters. not having a rosto and losing an NMT and full tit would put me off training in C2.

Edited by valcaz

I don't like the idea of getting killed randomly by something you can hardly defend on (attack of dragon will mean he kills you in 1 hit). If there is a way to know where he is and there is a way to defend you against it (like carrying a frying pan :blush:) I would like it. But it would get annoying after some time to not be able to defend against it.

I like the idea but as I'm a lot afk would it make me stay on C1.

And as I never go to the auto invasions, will I not hunt it.

Maybe limit it to few maps.

It would make crowded places more crowded.

I use to go to empty maps because of less lag.

PV storage is empty sometimes, very often at the time I log on - morning Europe.

Sometimes are only 180 people online.

Edited by Zamirah

Camo cape would be a good defense, because if he doesn't see you, he can't attack you.

But he can still see you with some luck. There is no way to keep it off for sure so there is no way to safely leave your computer for a moment (like mapwalk somewhere meanwhile get a drink). Imo there should be something to keep it off for 100% sure, an item that you don't carry each moment of the day so there is more diversity in items worn by players.

I actually like this idea, one more reason not to afk harvest :P

6. He might loot some of the items, and even wear the armor and weapons to make him stronger (of course, it won't be visible).

I seriously hope this is one of your sarcastic commets because OMG I have an image of a fierce man eating leopard running round looking like this!

Something like Nosferatu, a vampire, a werewolf, etc. We are talking about a special single creature, not a race, so we might as well make him a special monster. (Added advantage: you could use the existing 3D models).

I love the idea of the monster levelling... I kind of expected that one day or the other some monster would learn how to cast Restoration! :)

I'm not asking for a C3... but is there any way to COPY and existing map... like IOTF... and make it NIGHTMARE ISLAND....so it's FULL of undead creatures...and only 1 Dracula.

Now that would be a witch hunt!

:medieval::blink: Leave me out of this thank you!! :devlish:

Edit: Trying to work out why the quote thing didn't work ;)

Edited by WolfWitch

love the idea, like that it randomly spawns in different maps.

As it is said, the monster will have high attack (can we compare that with the birds ? ) But how high will it be?

What i also would like, and maybe its a bad idea but I've wondered a long time already that we didn't have critters like this. We have Bob, make him like this :medieval: dont have to be evil strong but let him get stronger while he kills ppl. And how about the nightly visits of the gargs in WS ?? Good idea to do it with them too ?

About the man eater on C2. how strong will/can it grow ?

Sounds like an interesting idea, will the creature be more likely to stalk people that are walking around with 50% health? Most predators would chose to stalk wounded prey as it would easier to kill? Maybe if you keep you health up, would mean less chance to be attacked?

I like the idea. I hope this player eating creature will be something different from a leopard, something like a werewolf or manticore (or another nocturn, sneaky, blood-thirsty creature :devlish: ) would make it much more intriguing (and a sort of evil counterpart to the WS roaming unicorn :medieval: )

Rehdon