Eternal Lands Official Forums
ArrowDel

Character control

You have a lot of keyboard commands already available, which make my life so much easier (I have trouble using a mouse) but could you see about increasing the amounts of things that are currently mouse-only into things that can be done with the keyboard?

(examples)

The insert/delete keys control character orientation and the home key takes a step...how about a continuous walk & stop key?

A key combo for "use nearest door/portal"

The tab key opens the map, the arrow keys could control where a selector goes (starting from where the character is) and enter could select "walk here"

key commands to talk to nearest NPC (would be very useful in crowded storage areas too where removing the names, health bars and numbers doesn't make it any easier to see the NPC) the arrow keys and enter could control selections within these windows too...

In inventory, arrows and enter could control which items you put on/take off, alt-m could say "put this in mix window" ... or just a key combo that says "put this item in the next top-most window"

PLEASE?!

('cause I'd really like to have a way to activly play EL instead of having to just chat most of the time and wonder why the heck I can't use my macro program just because someone else use(d/es) the same thing to cheat)

PLEASE?!

('cause I'd really like to have a way to activly play EL instead of having to just chat most of the time

:mace:

Get a mouse?

Generaly I love using mouse in games, but recently I would give a lot to see some WSAD-like system for EL (it most prolly will change once I find a way to use a mouse without any problems:/).

I'd love to see it, yet, I can live without it:)

WSAD is not possible in EL, EL was designed from grounds up to nagivate with the mouse (the client sends the destination, and the server computes the path and moves the player). WSAD would be very laggy.

As for the other ideas, I don't really see any point in "enter the nearest door". Besides, that could be very well used in macroing, and we don't want that.

and wonder why the heck I can't use my macro program just because someone else use(d/es) the same thing to cheat

:icon13: Isn't macroing illegal ?

:) And if it's illegal... isn't that a confession ?

Bal

and wonder why the heck I can't use my macro program just because someone else use(d/es) the same thing to cheat

:icon13: Isn't macroing illegal ?

:) And if it's illegal... isn't that a confession ?

Bal

Doesn't look like a confession to me. It looks like somebody who uses macro programs regularly with good reason (trouble using a mouse? My guess the reason is not flat batteries) who would like to be able to do so on el. Not everyone in this world is as physically able as you seem to imagine.

There was only a one reason to use macros, that is problems with using a mouse (e.g. RSI). A "Mix All" implementation solved this problem.

If you cannot use your mouse despite this function you should just take a break from doing it (as I'm doing right now) or start using a opposite-hand mouse.

If somebody cannot use a mouse at all I would assume that this person is challanged in not as trivial way as RSI or broken hand. I'm not sure if such a person would be able to play games using keyboard, though.

Also, EL has a distinct advantage over pretty much every single other MMORPG I've seen-you can JUST TYPE! To chat. No clicking something to get you out of WSAD walk mode into the chat system.

So not having WSAD is a GOOD thing for EL.

IF you have CTS or RSI get a good ergonomic mouse. I do have RSI and could no longer use a mouse, or a keyboard really...however due to my jobs I had to. So I got a keyboard that has a softer button press:

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseand...ls.aspx?pid=040

A tablet helps with alternating between a mouse:

http://www.amazon.com/Wacom-Graphire3-Tabl...e/dp/B0000C4DWW

And also a good mouse:

http://www.evoluent.com/vmouse2.html

The mouse may look weird, but it REALLY helps! I no longer have problems with my mouse hand unless I use an old style mouse!

Thanks Roja :)

Especially for the mouse link. I knew I saw something like this in a magazine, but couldn't have reminded myself what, where and when.

I was trying to get an ergonomic keyboard but, apparently, it was impossible to find then:(

I think we could have shortcuts for more actions in game. One obvious thing that pops in my mind is shortcut for "Mix all" button. You could chat in console mode when mixing something and just hit the mix button without mouse from time to time. I remember one guy was warned for illegally modifying client for this functionality, but I think it does no harm and could be accepted

I think we could have shortcuts for more actions in game. One obvious thing that pops in my mind is shortcut for "Mix all" button. You could chat in console mode when mixing something and just hit the mix button without mouse from time to time. I remember one guy was warned for illegally modifying client for this functionality, but I think it does no harm and could be accepted

i totally agree to that. it would be awesome to see that. can just say what vyt said, there is not much

else when mixing than chatting. so just hitting an key from time to time except moving mouse on mix all

and click would be really nice.

So many replies to make and so little time...

Most of them boil down to waiting for the government to realize that I am disabled so that I can get the money to get the things I need to make my life as normal as it can be...

...like get that touchpad that works with a touch-instrument to where I can "mouse" easier

as for anyone that wants to be asinine about it...fist up your hands until your knuckles are white...now keep them in that posistion and see how far you get though a normal day...

(I'll give you a hint...I've given up wearing shoes a long time ago)

Sometimes I'm very frustated when I don't stop clicking on trees when I try to follow mobs. So a system to move the char with the keyboard could be very helpful I think. :)

Isn't it possible to simulate this by asking the server to move you for example 10 tiles forward when you hit the up key (In straight line or in diagonal in function of the position of your char)? And when you click the left or right key, it rotates the path by 45 degrees and it continues to advance. It should work exactly like when you click 10 tiles forward with the mouse and when you change the destination during the walk except that for this kind of movement, the shortest path should stay the straight line and the char should not avoid objects but stop on them...

It's just an idea but I think it could work, no? :)

Edited by Schmurk

If it's possible that would be nice Schmurk. Then Camera Rotation(which is now on the arrow keys), can be moved to the Home/End keys.

I wouldn't say Mix All solved the problem of repetive muscle strain, but it did help :whistle: Also alot of people get wrist problems from keyboard and mouse usage, can't cure everything.

If it's possible that would be nice Schmurk. Then Camera Rotation(which is now on the arrow keys), can be moved to the Home/End keys.

If it's approved, I'll test the idea later to see if it works...

I wouldn't say Mix All solved the problem of repetive muscle strain, but it did help :blush: Also alot of people get wrist problems from keyboard and mouse usage, can't cure everything.

On the other hand if you cannot use both your keyboard and mouse adding a text command wouldn't help, right?

Moreover, I didn't mean Mix All solved RSI problem. I meant that it made RSI an unreliable excuse for macroing;)

One obvious thing that pops in my mind is shortcut for "Mix all" button. You could chat in console mode when mixing something and just hit the mix button without mouse from time to time. I remember one guy was warned for illegally modifying client for this functionality, but I think it does no harm and could be accepted

i totally agree to that. it would be awesome to see that. can just say what vyt said, there is not much

else when mixing than chatting. so just hitting an key from time to time except moving mouse on mix all

and click would be really nice.

As "the guy who was warned" for this functionality - I still totally agree. It's really relaxing if you can sit there chatting and meanwhile mixing a load of fire essences; with high enough emu you can hold ingreds for over 100, and just occasionally press shortcut keys for food (in quickslot) and mix-all while chatting all the time, without ever moving your hands from the keyboard.

I am still surprised so few people (especially from amongst the developers and other mouse-despising folks) see the use of this.

To the guy above clicking on trees: Turn on the Mouse Bug option in your settings, I had the same problem.