Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
PriVate

can't a command to list all buddies in buddy list be made?

why cant there be a command to list all buddies in your buddy list so you can see who youve added and such?

Because it would take a major rebuild of the buddy system or an external program. Buddies aren't stored by name, which why you can track them through a name change.

Not that this question hasn't been answered before... like few times >.<
True, but that doesn't make it any less of a serious usability issue with the buddy system. I understand it's a big problem to solve for the devs, but it's a bit issue to users also.

Now that we (as users) know the limitations and how hard it gets, even an external program that you could request to be run (say once a month or even less) to get a buddy list would be a HUGE help.

The game is Beta, and this is one of the major "bugs" in the game. It would be nice to see a solution before it goes Final.

Right now, the only way to clear inactive buddies you've forgotten about is to clear_buddy and start from the beginning. But to add a buddy they must be online and accept your request, a big job to do this 40 times over, then repeat a few months later!

Some people want to see the buddy list grow bigger than 40, this won't ever happen due to the extra server space required. But 40 would be enough if we could easily clear the inactives only.

I don't know how much effort would be required, but a major rebuild is warrented because EVERYONE wants this! More people want this than archery!

Edited by Asterix

Right now, the only way to clear inactive buddies you've forgotten about is to clear_buddy and start from the beginning. But to add a buddy they must be online and accept your request, a big job to do this 40 times over, then repeat a few months later!

There is a notepad in the client.

Programs in beta stage only go to the alpha stage when the teaboy drops coffee in the computer holding the source code.

Alpha: very beginning of the codebase

Beta: Quite stable but with some minor issues

Release Candidate: Beta with as many bugfixes as can be found, awaiting feedback to locate and fix unknown bugs

Gold Code: So called "shipment quality" code, all bugs fixed, all customers happy, all pigs fuelled and ready for takeoff

Service Pack 1: Gold Code bug fixes

Service Pack 2: Service Pack 1 bug fixes

Service Pack 3: Revert of all the things Service Pack 2 broke

Then back to Alpha. Damn that teaboy!

I don't know how much effort would be required, but a major rebuild is warrented because EVERYONE wants this! More people want this than archery!

Not sure that more people care about this than archery, but obviously it is lower on the person who writes and rewrites the code's priority list. You will have to take it up with ent. This has come up so many times, you haven't offered anything new that we all don't know, including ent. (And be careful about speaking for everyone, it doesn't go over so well with people who disagree with you)

Not sure that more people care about this than archery, but obviously it is lower on the person who writes and rewrites the code's priority list. You will have to take it up with ent. This has come up so many times, you haven't offered anything new that we all don't know, including ent. (And be careful about speaking for everyone, it doesn't go over so well with people who disagree with you)

I would be interested to see a post from someone (other than a dev!) who is actually AGAINST this improvement. Only reason I can see is some person who may wish to clog up a persons buddy list with inactive alts, but I think this is not a good reason in itself for squashing the idea :)

As a player I often prune my friends list - affiliations change over time. Much quicker than #del_buddy 1..30 I just clear the entire list. It only takes one command to add a new buddy.

As a client dev this would not affect me at all - buddy lists are server side.

Do I need to see a complete list of who my friends are? Nah I am not that insecure.

I would be interested to see a post from someone (other than a dev!) who is actually AGAINST this improvement. Only reason I can see is some person who may wish to clog up a persons buddy list with inactive alts, but I think this is not a good reason in itself for squashing the idea :devlish:

I didn't say I was against it, I don't think anybody said they were against it. Not having the time to do it, or not putting it high on the priority list is not the same thing at all. I know I would MUCH prefer to get the archery than an improved buddy list, I barely use mine, and have maybe 6 names on it if that. But how is that against it just because I think getting archery ingame is time better spent? Eventually I would love to see this fixed as well, less #help_me requests at the end of the day. But at the moment the only person who makes the priority call is ent.

You always need a priority list... Ask everyone in-game that if they want archery or buddy_list command first.

I'm sure you will find the answer yourself :devlish:

You always need a priority list... Ask everyone in-game that if they want archery or buddy_list command first.

If somebody has 30 friends, and does not remember their names, why would he want archery? He might shoot wrong person and have one friend less ;)

If somebody has 30 friends, and does not remember their names, why would he want archery? He might shoot wrong person and have one friend less ;)

If the player is online and on his buddy list Ctrl-B will bring up the buddy list window.

"Oh look, he is marked as red for me"

Splat.

If the player is online and on his buddy list Ctrl-B will bring up the buddy list window.

"Oh look, he is marked as red for me"

Splat.

But if the poor archer's dog has eaten the corners of his keyboard with the control keys? Should the game punish people for having a dog that doesn't even play the game? :devlish:

He makes a good argument.

Edited by LabRat

DO more people want archery than this bug fixed? Dunno, I admit I didn't poll everyone, I based it on everyone I have mentioned the bug to hated it, and not everyone I have mentioned archery to has cared about it. That is no doubt biased by me not hanging around with many PKers. However the only person to post that they wanted archery more than this admitted they wanted both... just archery a bit more. So my prior claim "EVERYONE wants this" has not been proven wrong yet.

Also apologies for using the term alpha when of course I meant final. I hope the wrong terminalogriphy didn't invalidate my point.

Yes I see the notepad on the client. I have pen and paper too you know. Doesn't change the inconvenience much.

Oldyschooly has a point. Priority lists are essential of course, but am I alone in not polling people on this issue? Ent makes the priority list, he is aware that this has been repeatedly asked for, but has a poll actually been done to see how many people want this? Or do the dozens who have taken the time to post the same request so obviously NOT represent the tip of an iceberg? I would think it does.

I see entropy has not responded, possibly because he's sick of saying the same things. Don't blame him, of course I don't offer anything new. But could he say where this is on his list? If it's there at all? Just wondering.

terminalogriphy
eh? ;)

Just remember one thing: It's better to do something and do it well, making sure it is complete before you race ahead to add more things. Taking time to completely finish previous features will be time better spent in the long run. Much better to have a finished and properly working base than to keep adding part finished things onto the top of other part finished things :/

I know it would be great to have this in game but we've been told over and over again for years this is hard to do and low priority. I've suggested this before but if you really want to know who is on buddy list just open up your chat log and search (Ctrl+F) for #Add-Buddy or whatever command is.

I know its not always feasible as not everyone keeps entire chat log but its helped me clear down unwanted buddies in the past.

I know it would be great to have this in game but we've been told over and over again for years this is hard to do and low priority. I've suggested this before but if you really want to know who is on buddy list just open up your chat log and search (Ctrl+F) for #Add-Buddy or whatever command is.

I know its not always feasible as not everyone keeps entire chat log but its helped me clear down unwanted buddies in the past.

Um, that doesn't really work anyway. My chat_log isn't the original one I had, and I don't usually use the command (I use the click-option).

Surely though, if the suggestion has been around for YEARS it is necessary, c'mon...

Surely though, if the suggestion has been around for YEARS it is necessary, c'mon...
The fact that it's important (even necessary) isn't the question. As a software developer I can understand the issue: it's always more interesting to work on new/fun features than to go back and fix bugs or complete implementations on older stuff. At work I have a boss or a defined release criteria that "forces" me to go back and finish things or fix bugs. But that doesn't exist here. How long have guild NPCs been around, and they're still only partially completed (they have multiple menu options that simply don't do anything). Fun new features are nice, but fixing some of these older usability and playability issues would be nice too.

The fact that it's important (even necessary) isn't the question. As a software developer I can understand the issue: it's always more interesting to work on new/fun features than to go back and fix bugs or complete implementations on older stuff. At work I have a boss or a defined release criteria that "forces" me to go back and finish things or fix bugs. But that doesn't exist here. How long have guild NPCs been around, and they're still only partially completed (they have multiple menu options that simply don't do anything). Fun new features are nice, but fixing some of these older usability and playability issues would be nice too.

It's also a lot harder then people thinkm. Currently the server doesn't know your buddies name unless they are logged in and players aren't save in a DB for that type of access.

It's also a lot harder then people think.
I understand from previous threads on this topic that it would require a major re-design of things to support any sort of client command. But there was also talk of some form of off-line tool that could be created and run infrequently. I don't remember how many details were talked about or how feasible it might be. But even something I could run once every 3 or 6 months would allow me to purge some old entries.

I didn't mean any offence to any developers, or anything. I realize it must be a fairly massive job, but I feel that the longer it is put off, the more people will complain about it. There have been quite a few threads here on related subjects.