Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
hatwood

Resizing window/from fullscreen to window mode

I honestly don't know what happened. but this is what I did and I will try to replicate the bug after I write this.

I was in PL and wanted to change EL from fullscreen (it was set to fullscreen at the time) and changed my resolution. First I changed my resolution down to 1024x768 and then changed from fullscreen into window mode. I don't know if the bug happened right after the resolution change or right after the window mode change, but once i tried walking around, i realized that portland looked like it had quite literally been blown up. Boats were made out of stone in the middle of paths, boats were turned inside out, buildings changed into blobs of window textures, whole buildings gone. To really get the picture I took several screen shots but I am using an approved special client and do not know if I can post them here or should forum pm them to a mod.

Also during the bug, I could not close in-game windows by clicking on the X that closes them... since the options window was open, the only way I could close it was ctrl o. i couldn't open any in-game windows by clicking their icon either. I could not walk around by clicking on the ground or map walking, I navagated using the home/insert/delete buttons. the scroll wheel on my mouse didn't zoom in/out, but page up/page down worked. I can beam, but I still couldnt mapwalk/click on the ground on IP.

I've tried testing everything i could for debugging reasons, and I'm going to reopen the client now to see if I can replicate the bug. If the client behaves the same way after I reopen it, I will check the portland .elm map through the map editor and then I will check the textures by comparing a clean installation of EL to the one that has... exploded :(

Do you need my system specs for this and what should I do with the screenies?

-LeahAtwood

edit:

reopened EL, everything seems fine, Portland is how it should be. I went back and tried to recreate what happened but the only thing that went wrong was that I can't close/open in-game windows with the X button/icons. I also can't mapwalk.

[a few edits later]

ok after i tried to recreate it, everything seemed fine except that i couldnt normally open/close in-game windows. then a few minutes later my mapwalking/clicking on the ground to walk stopped working. i don't notice anything physically wrong with the map though.

Edited by leahatwood

I was in PL and wanted to change EL from fullscreen (it was set to fullscreen at the time) and changed my resolution. First I changed my resolution down to 1024x768 and then changed from fullscreen into window mode.

Yeah, there have been noted some problems with changing from fullscreen to windowed. I don't know if they also exist for changing resolutions but its certainly possible.

I don't know if the bug happened right after the resolution change or right after the window mode change, but once i tried walking around, i realized that portland looked like it had quite literally been blown up. Boats were made out of stone in the middle of paths, boats were turned inside out, buildings changed into blobs of window textures, whole buildings gone.

This sounds like the texture system is all kinds of messed up. (Hopefully) just the drivers not refreshing properly when changing resolutions, and not an EL bug. It sounds like that given not being able to reproduce it.

Also during the bug, I could not close in-game windows by clicking on the X that closes them... since the options window was open, the only way I could close it was ctrl o. i couldn't open any in-game windows by clicking their icon either. I could not walk around by clicking on the ground or map walking, I navagated using the home/insert/delete buttons. the scroll wheel on my mouse didn't zoom in/out, but page up/page down worked. I can beam, but I still couldnt mapwalk/click on the ground on IP.

This sounds like the library (SDL?) lost control of the window, or at a minimum the coordinate system and so the mouse position either wasn't detected or was in the wrong place for icons etc to work. Keyboard input still working tends towards losing the coordinate system like some of the mouse bugs that have cropped up in the past.

I've tried testing everything i could for debugging reasons, and I'm going to reopen the client now to see if I can replicate the bug. If the client behaves the same way after I reopen it, I will check the portland .elm map through the map editor and then I will check the textures by comparing a clean installation of EL to the one that has... exploded :(

Technically the client isn't able to write to the textures so shouldn't have corrupted anything physical (on the HDD), but it is possible the textures loaded into memory got scrambled.

To really get the picture I took several screen shots but I am using an approved special client and do not know if I can post them here or should forum pm them to a mod.
Do you need my system specs for this and what should I do with the screenies?

Because the client is approved you can post them here, but we do need to know what changes to the client have been made (any special flags the client was compiled with and any additional patches applied).

Also, system specs (os, graphics card and driver version) might be handy to know to chase up driver specific bugs etc.

Unfortunately at this stage, short of a vague idea of what might be causing the problem, I've got no idea.

I use the current RIVA client- I think you'd have to get details about the differences from the editor of that client.

here's a screenshot from when I bought my comp:

compwm0.gif

edit:

driver version: 6.14.11.5822

Edited by leahatwood

Kinda reminds me of the compiled vertex array problems on some chips... Does playing with graphical options fix it?

graphics options in game? I'm not sure, I haven't been able to recreate the map blowing up like that. My computer had been on for quite a while (and EL open for a while too) so that could have been that problem.

Although if you think that playing with graphics options in EL will help with finding the cause for the bug I'd gladly play around with them :pickaxe: