Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mugwump

Simultaneous Registration

I'm sure this suggestion will prove my ignorance where programming is involved, but if this could be done, it may be helpful to all in the long run:

Is there any possible way to coordinate the character creation with the creation of a forum account?

In effect, if I open the client and click 'New Character' I read the rules, pick a race and looks, create a name.... and then add an email address with the name. The address creates a forum account where a confirmation bot-mail must be answered, meanwhile the game can be played as usual.

On the first visit to the forums, via the confirmation mail, a forum name and password can be chosen.

This will also leave the opt-out open by not replying to the confirmation email. The forums can later be joined as they are now.

I imagine the transfer of address from server to forum is either the hard part to program, or has to monitored by human types.

The point being to get more players on the forums, as well as possibly putting a few security worries into the heads of possible scammers and crackers.

Is there any possible way to coordinate the character creation with the creation of a forum account?

Yes, it would be possible.

There is a similar system on Other Life however it is basically the opposite of that. You create an account (and pay), and that account is activated both in-game and on the forums. (May not be the exact procedure, but you get the point).

I have 2 problems with this idea...

Firstly, what if you are creating alt's, bots or test char's??

And secondly (and by far the largest problem) is the huge spamming of characters on the forums and the additional load on mods/forum admins to manage all of this. While I was a mod there was probably an average of 2 new characters a minute. Naturally more during certain hours and less at other times, but the point is that is a huge nightmare to keep control of.

In theory, I like this idea and have upon occasion bemoaned the fact we don't have this feature.

However Torg brings up some good points.

One note is that currently forum accounts autodelete if not validated in 2 days. I expect this could weed out a fair number.

Another thought would be for there to be an IP check...any accounts made on an IP with existing accounts could prompt an option to make a corresponding forum account or not, to accomodate the families who play and would want multiple forum accounts on one IP. Would that be possible?

Another thought would be for there to be an IP check...any accounts made on an IP with existing accounts could prompt an option to make a corresponding forum account or not, to accomodate the families who play and would want multiple forum accounts on one IP. Would that be possible?

It would be possible, but you would want to minimise the traffic between the server and the client so as part of the add character screen in the client could be an option box "Create a forum account" and when enabled you can enter an email address. Alternatively the client could just detect an email address entered.

The server would be doing all the work however (after the client passed the data) so it would be up to Ent/Learner to implement.

Other issues people are overlooking include:

* The forums and game are hosted on different servers using two very different methods to decide if an account is available.

* When a player is created on the game server, that forum account might be taken already (and the other way around)

* The forums limits you to one account per email address, so creating alts or bots will reuire more work or there will be failures (then look at the one above if failures)

* If the forum account isn't verified and approved, it gets deleted (causing more problems)

O-L can use it's system because it was designed from the ground up that a forums account is required first and the game server has direct access to the forums database.

If you want to do this, then you can use accounts rather than just characters... That way all of a player's characters are linked into one account. Kinda a big change, but it would solve the issue with alts/bots.

I think a larger problem might be that people then expect names to be the same ingame and on the forums, and some current cases won't match that... what would be done about that? forced name changes for one or the other?

ed: Well, Learner beat me to it. But I did answer one of his points. Actually, possibly more than one, since making people verify accounts before making a char would fix the last one as well. It does take a little longer before people can play, which may not be ideal, but if the email addresses are checked for dupes it could help reduce the account creation spam stuff.

Edited by ttlanhil

Guys please don't waste further time discussing this. It's not a bad idea but currently is never going to happen.

Guys please don't waste further time discussing this. It's not a bad idea but currently is never going to happen.

May I ask reason?

Umm read the thread?