Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JimP

Targeting Computer

Ok... here is my biggest beef with this game... chasing things under and around trees! And I know I'm not the only person that feels this way, because I see it posted all the time. I love the 3d battles... we just need a 3d targeting system!

Here is my idea.... it's similar to how WINDOWS works. Lets say you have c:\My Documents opened up. Now, if you click and HOLD down on the big red X... nothing happens. You need to RELEASE in the close box to close it out.

Same idea for EL targeting computer... If you click and HOLD down... your cursor turns into a BULLSEYE

4701373d2c7cbfefd043f6e8ceffc31c16bbfe.jpg

Now... while still holding mouse down... you hover over your intended target... until he is locked on! You know this, because he's outlined in red.

470138b92f3b4e72851e412f831fa24114bff9.jpg

Once you RELEASE your mouse button...you are now LOCKED and in pursuit of intended target... you will hunt down until battle it possible, and then attack.

470139428afbf83a68adf53f7f6ca9ba81a812.jpg

You can still click away from the target to UNLOCK... in case you changed your mind. =)

Thanks for your time.

This idea (in various forms) has come up a number of times before. The typical reply from Entropy (apologies if I don't say it right) is along the lines of: if you have it then the monsters will have the same abilities. This usually applies to the request for a larger click radius (being able to click on something farther away and start and attack). In this case, it would imply that a monster could LOCK in on your and hunt you down no matter how far you run. I'm not sure this would be considered a good thing by most folks.

(btw, nice pictures, makes the idea very easy to understand!!)

This idea (in various forms) has come up a number of times before. The typical reply from Entropy (apologies if I don't say it right) is along the lines of: if you have it then the monsters will have the same abilities. This usually applies to the request for a larger click radius (being able to click on something farther away and start and attack). In this case, it would imply that a monster could LOCK in on your and hunt you down no matter how far you run. I'm not sure this would be considered a good thing by most folks.

(btw, nice pictures, makes the idea very easy to understand!!)

Ok...this TARGETING computer DOES NOT WORK if you have the MM perk (or cloak)... so even if you walk thru a PK map, no-one can TARGET you using this method...if you have MM perk. And aggressive monsters already chase you down.

Thanks for the pics comment :) ... I find them eaiser to explain things.

I very much doubt whether this would be acceptable: Big PK'er sees little dude in the distance, targets them, and goes for a cuppa, to come back to find a deathbag at his feet...

I would suggest that if you click-to-attack an entity out of range, then it could be re-interpreted as a move-to that location; not move-to entity (ie follow), and definitely *no* auto-attack when in range; you have to attack again when closer, but at least you are moving in the right direction.

Edited by trollson

I would suggest that if you click-to-attack an entity out of range, then it could be re-interpreted as a move-to that location
Great idea. :)

I would suggest that if you click-to-attack an entity out of range, then it could be re-interpreted as a move-to that location
Great idea. :hiya:

Why is everyone so worried about how the PKers will use it? It's a PK map...don't go there! Or, just make the targeting computer not work on PK maps.

This is all about chasing wolves and bunnies around trees... and pointing right thru skeles! I want to attack the skele... not move to somewhere behind him!

I remember way back when when we used to have to CLICK on each piece of Iron ore to harvest it... well, we have that process automated... how about fixing the targeting?

imagine the red dragon following you where ever you went in it's lair cus you forgot which way's out...

your a newbie and without a mm your lost in a cave and a orc is following you ...

wasnt this suggested a few times before?

just make it so if u press TAB it targets a player, then press a key and u attack

just make it so if u press TAB it targets a player, then press a key and u attack

i know of a few games that has this guildwars being one of them press tab targets closest enemy then press spacebar to atk

-Lasher

just a lil suggestion if you have a problem with trees just ctrl and right click and u wont run around hitting different trees or if you switched it and your right click if your main one ctrl left click :hiya:

Too easy.

so? sitting and harvesting is easy too

this will be good feature, will avoid alot of missclicks in pk

imagine the red dragon following you where ever you went in it's lair cus you forgot which way's out...

your a newbie and without a mm your lost in a cave and a orc is following you ...

wasnt this suggested a few times before?

Isn't this exactly what one would think what would happen when entering a monster's lair? If you get into sight and it considers you a viable target, you're going to get attacked... so run for your life ;)

Mmm let me think...and if u want to see the enemie and not to att hiM?,i mean as now we press the eye for see!Then it is not too good for a mmorpg,coz this is the system used for ps3 or xbox games! ;)

There is no additional info currently obtained by mousing over an enemy, so there's no technical reason not to do this, insofar that it doesn't obscure any information or cover up existing features.

This does make it easier. Does it make it too easy? I don't think so, as targeting creatures, especially small, fast ones, is difficult as it is, even with just alt-clicking on the name and increasing the font size.

Mmm let me think...and if u want to see the enemie and not to att hiM?,i mean as now we press the eye for see!Then it is not too good for a mmorpg,coz this is the system used for ps3 or xbox games! :devlish:

...I have absolutely no idea what you just said ;)

as for the idea, I think just making the size of the area you can click larger would solve most of the problem, but "locking on" and walking up to the enemy wouldn't work out well not only because the current click range is about the size of your line of sight, but also because all of that pathfinding you would have to do to make the character chase them I can imagine would be a pain to put in, AND it would bring spawn serping to a new level

This is all about chasing wolves and bunnies around trees... and pointing right thru skeles! I want to attack the skele... not move to somewhere behind him!

I remember way back when when we used to have to CLICK on each piece of Iron ore to harvest it... well, we have that process automated... how about fixing the targeting?

Get newest client from CVS and your problems are gone (even though you cannot actually lock to targets) :blink: