Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bahamut_Zero

Using mines in a fun way

I read somewhere that mines would be implemented, so i thought of a fun idea to use the mines.

Imagine this, u could drop a active mine and it would be just like any other bag, players would see the bag and would try to pick it, but instead of getting items, the mine would explode damaging the player who picked it.

I can already imagine players rigging their bags and droping a mine in a pk map while fighting, and if they die when the pker tries to pick the bag, boom! :( lol

I know pkers will hate this last one, but i think it would add some fun and risk into picking bags.

Edited by Bahamut_Zero

How would that affect new players, though; or better yet, how would that work in non pk maps? Also, if there is a skill implemented to rig mines, then there should also be a skill to detect / defuse the mines, should there not?

I know pkers will hate this last one, but i think it would add some fun and risk into picking bags.

I love this idea, as long as we can make PKers life to HELL im always for it :)

They r so evil, no idea why they r even allowed to play :confused:

mp

They r so evil, no idea why they r even allowed to play :happy:

mp

Out of curiosity, how many different people do you have on your kill counters?

Great idea, BTW, but i think it should only work on PK maps...

Also, if there is a skill implemented to rig mines, then there should also be a skill to detect / defuse the mines, should there not?

The skill to detect and defuse mines will be part of the engineering skill.

How would that affect new players, though; or better yet, how would that work in non pk maps? Also, if there is a skill implemented to rig mines, then there should also be a skill to detect / defuse the mines, should there not?

I liked your idea, a skill to detect and defuse those mines.

I think the mines should be allowed in any map, pk or not, this way picking bags would be more risky, and add some spice to it.

Since there are a lot of ppl that wont go on pk maps, having mines allowed in any map would spice up things a bit, and with the addition of a skill to detect and disarm i dont see where is the problem by having mines in non pk maps.

The only places i think that should be limited are maybe Isla Prima and close to storages.

As i read somewhere a blast radius would be nice, so players around would get some damage, depending on far they are from the explosion centre.

To prevent many killings, instead of instant death there should be a damage limit ranging from 40 to 100, this way some would die, others only get injured.

Some other nice thing would be some sort of messages like:

"Bahamut_Zero´s mine blows right on Ermabwed face, he should have cut the blue wire.."

To prevent many killings, instead of instant death there should be a damage limit ranging from 40 to 100, this way some would die, others only get injured.

Some other nice thing would be some sort of messages like:

Perhaps a random damage percentage, based on a combination of the mine-layer's skill and the opener's health or toughness, with the 'randomness' being determined by the opener's astrological sign?

I like the idea of keeping the mines off IP, and away from storage - nothing sucks worse than taking a hit you don't deserve, and newbies shouldn't be afraid to get click-happy on IP.

I think the mines should be allowed in any map, pk or not, this way picking bags would be more risky, and add some spice to it.

Indeed. so then the only people who would bother to look into a potential deathbag would be those with something to gain. If this idea was implemented, I think there would be a lot less people holding deathbags for people, and therefore a lot more bags siting around waiting to be jumped.

Maybe the chance to find a bobby trap in WS is slim, but I can imagine people dropping bags at, say, WS docks and waiting for a victim.

Having said that, I do kinda like the idea of being able to protect a working bag

I do tend to agree that EL should probably be a little more dangerous, but at the same time I don't think this is the way to do it. It is far too easy for people to be malicious about placing mines etc. Any danger should be known of so it is a challenge to get past and survive.

Mines are designed as another PKing tool. Something else to combat those with huge a/d/p/c.

Since there are a lot of ppl that wont go on pk maps, having mines allowed in any map would spice up things a bit, and with the addition of a skill to detect and disarm i dont see where is the problem by having mines in non pk maps.
Because its meant to be *hard* to detect and disarm them (or they would be useless for PK).

As i read somewhere a blast radius would be nice, so players around would get some damage, depending on far they are from the explosion centre.
There will be a wide range of "mines". Some will provide healing, some with cause damage, some will possibly temporarily strip stats and things. And yes, some will be proximity so when you set your mine, keep well away! Ent is also considering some "mines" to be like fences that damage you as you try to cross them, and many, many other ideas I'm sure.

Based on the fact some are designed for healing etc, its possible they will be allowed outside PK, but how that is regulated to be fair, who knows.

The assumption is that the proximity effect would be relative to how close you are, but I don't know what Ent has planned for this.

uhm well I say on PK the bags should look normal but outside of pk the bags should have some kind of visible way to tell that they're rigged, IE: bags full of stuff you're working on bars with could be rigged to prevent others from taking from it, at the expense of the mine

i'd like this to be universal, not PK only (but it'll be a nice dream..).

The pr0 pker has little to fear from picking up trapped bags because he has 300 hp anyway, but the n44b bagjumper will get a free ticket to hades which is kind of what we all would like.

I read somewhere that mines would be implemented, so i thought of a fun idea to use the mines.

Imagine this, u could drop a active mine and it would be just like any other bag, players would see the bag and would try to pick it, but instead of getting items, the mine would explode damaging the player who picked it.

I can already imagine players riggind their bags and droping a mine in a pk map while fighting, and if they die when the pker tries to pick the bag, boom! :hug: lol

You think pk is dead as it is? if this got implemented it would basicly stop all togeather

uhm well I say on PK the bags should look normal but outside of pk the bags should have some kind of visible way to tell that they're rigged, IE: bags full of stuff you're working on bars with could be rigged to prevent others from taking from it, at the expense of the mine

And so the black bag finds its way to Draia :D

Just my opinion, I think this skill should be pretty expensive to get into and utilize - that way, it's not so widespread that PK'ers and newbies alike suffer unreasonably, but at the same time available for those who work toward it. In the real world, black powder quickly led to the end of swords in warfare - it would be a shame if it did the same in Draia, would it not?

ummm the sword was abandoned for fencing weapons because wearing armor became useless due to BP. Also, ever heard of a bayonet? Until breach loaders became available, a soldier could fire very slowly.

ummm the sword was abandoned for fencing weapons because wearing armor became useless due to BP. Also, ever heard of a bayonet? Until breach loaders became available, a soldier could fire very slowly.

What the hell r u talking about?

Is it just me that can´t understand this last post?

Just my opinion, I think this skill should be pretty expensive to get into and utilize - that way, it's not so widespread that PK'ers and newbies alike suffer unreasonably, but at the same time available for those who work toward it. In the real world, black powder quickly led to the end of swords in warfare - it would be a shame if it did the same in Draia, would it not?

well unless firearms are introduced to EL this isnt going to happen

as for the mine hmmm if it has a blast radius then you are not just penalizing the person who picks it up.

10 people die in MM cave because of 1 bagjumper not a fare idea.

good idea but damage should be kept to who picked it up imo

well unless firearms are introduced to EL this isnt going to happen

as for the mine hmmm if it has a blast radius then you are not just penalizing the person who picks it up.

10 people die in MM cave because of 1 bagjumper not a fare idea.

good idea but damage should be kept to who picked it up imo

The other players around wouldn´t get as much damage as the one who picked it up.

And this is not about penalizing who picks it up lol, u dont plant mines to penalize, u plant mines to blow whoever is on top of it or near it lol.

Do u think mines in real life were invented to penalize?

Yet this gives me another idea... many diferent bombs with different blast radius and effects (like radu said).

The more powerfull the mine, higher the level u need to make one.

Edited by Bahamut_Zero

Yes I understand that RL mines wernt ment to penalize but to kill but this isnt RL and the game should be about fun and theres not much fun IMO sitting inocently harving etc and getting blown up lol , dont get me wrong I think the idea has merits and im not slamming the general principle of the idea.

Just in my sick and twisted mind cant help but wonder how long it would be before some ebul bagjumper with his 300hp purposely dropped and set off mines himself to kill players in MM/PL etc cave, in a non-pk map there has to be some protection from other players actions.

IMO: pk map = blast radius fine

non-pk map = damage limited to person who picked the bag up

Probably not only you, a lot of people aren't that familiar with the topic, but maybe you shouldn't make further suggestions on the topic until you understand some of the history :)

I'll elaborate.

Back when firearms for personal use (the matchlocks, a type of rifle, as opposed to naval or artillery cannon, although the larger cannon also had the same issues) were new, they were loaded differently than today. You may have seen them used in old movies and the like.

You inserted blackpowder, wadding, a shot, and guncotton using a rod, from the firing end (hence being called muzzle-loaders, as you loaded into the muzzle of the firearm). You then took aim, cocked the rifle, and fired, which caused the hammer to spark and ignite the powder. As you can imagine, that's not highly time efficient. They were also more dangerous to their users and highly inaccurate. But you could, with a small amount of training, produce a reasonably large army (and with an army of rifles, you have the same as with an army of archers... Neither was accurate at range, but with mass-fire against another army... It doesn't need to be accurate). Training an archer took many years, skill on a horse (for calvary) was rare, using a pike took strength and formation... People using firearms could be trained in weeks, and didn't need to be as strong or disciplined.

The rifle shots, after some development (going from early matchlocks to muskets) had more force behind them (chemical propulsion as opposed to physical strength from an archer, who can also get tired), giving them greater penetration (contrary to some belief, arrows had no ability to penetrate plate armour; the arrowheads would crumple on impact... Some designs were able to penetrate chain armour when close; but by the time plate became popular, chain was generally only used for part of the armour. Consider the time and cost to make every individual ring in chain vs the time to hammer a sheet of metal into a curve, as well as the difference in protection, weight (plate is attached all over the body, chain rests all the weight on the shoulders; maybe some on a belt) and you can see why).

Over time, firearms have become a lot faster to fire, and a lot more accurate.

As for the bayonet, that's a dagger mounted below the barrel of a rifle, which allowed you to use your rifle somewhat like a spear... Very useful when the armies were close, and you didn't have time or room for reloading (even a bolt-action breach loading rifle, which you can see today, isn't really that fast. You may get off a shot every 5sec or so... A bit faster if you have a magazine, although then you also need to replace the magazine regularly. Machine guns are a lot faster to fire, as well as to expend their ammo, and also often larger).

When in doubt, google or ask wikipedia, and they can give you a decent understanding (or watch the history channel every now and then... Although they devote a lot of time to WW2, they also look at older times, especially the more exciting things like wars).

Probably not only you, a lot of people aren't that familiar with the topic, but maybe you shouldn't make further suggestions on the topic until you understand some of the history :)

I'll elaborate.

Back when firearms for personal use (the matchlocks, a type of rifle, as opposed to naval or artillery cannon, although the larger cannon also had the same issues) were new, they were loaded differently than today. You may have seen them used in old movies and the like.

You inserted blackpowder, wadding, a shot, and guncotton using a rod, from the firing end (hence being called muzzle-loaders, as you loaded into the muzzle of the firearm). You then took aim, cocked the rifle, and fired, which caused the hammer to spark and ignite the powder. As you can imagine, that's not highly time efficient. They were also more dangerous to their users and highly inaccurate. But you could, with a small amount of training, produce a reasonably large army (and with an army of rifles, you have the same as with an army of archers... Neither was accurate at range, but with mass-fire against another army... It doesn't need to be accurate). Training an archer took many years, skill on a horse (for calvary) was rare, using a pike took strength and formation... People using firearms could be trained in weeks, and didn't need to be as strong or disciplined.

The rifle shots, after some development (going from early matchlocks to muskets) had more force behind them (chemical propulsion as opposed to physical strength from an archer, who can also get tired), giving them greater penetration (contrary to some belief, arrows had no ability to penetrate plate armour; the arrowheads would crumple on impact... Some designs were able to penetrate chain armour when close; but by the time plate became popular, chain was generally only used for part of the armour. Consider the time and cost to make every individual ring in chain vs the time to hammer a sheet of metal into a curve, as well as the difference in protection, weight (plate is attached all over the body, chain rests all the weight on the shoulders; maybe some on a belt) and you can see why).

Over time, firearms have become a lot faster to fire, and a lot more accurate.

As for the bayonet, that's a dagger mounted below the barrel of a rifle, which allowed you to use your rifle somewhat like a spear... Very useful when the armies were close, and you didn't have time or room for reloading (even a bolt-action breach loading rifle, which you can see today, isn't really that fast. You may get off a shot every 5sec or so... A bit faster if you have a magazine, although then you also need to replace the magazine regularly. Machine guns are a lot faster to fire, as well as to expend their ammo, and also often larger).

When in doubt, google or ask wikipedia, and they can give you a decent understanding (or watch the history channel every now and then... Although they devote a lot of time to WW2, they also look at older times, especially the more exciting things like wars).

I UNDERSTAND the post, and i know the story, i know too that the first ones to make BP were the chinese, but what does that have to do with the topic i started? I don´t see were that post contributed for the development of the topic.

And dont think the mines will replace the swords... and I DIDN´T started with the mine idea, RADU started the idea, and the BLAST RADIUS is his idea too, i just thought about being able to rig the bags with some mines or other explosives.

Tell Radu that u dont like it ppl, don´t tell me.

http://eternal-lands.blogspot.com/2007/06/land-mines.html

Edited by Bahamut_Zero

It's a nice idea, if we implement it it would be only for PK maps though.

And the damage will be less than 100.

And it will affect everyone opening the bag, including the person who placed it there.

Also, the higher the engineering skill of the person that opens it up, the less likely the chance for it to explode.