Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
LabRat

onscreen keyboard

How about a simple onscreen keyboard?

I tried searching but no match was apparent.

My idea would be to just create a window and populate it with the characters in font.bmp and push the mouseclicks as characters.

Hey presto, instant # for those that can't send #, and all those Johnny Foreigner characters become accessible to us with real keyboards :)

Sounds good, but do you really want to keep a window open all the time for each command you want to send?

Ideally, the # would be remapped for those people whose keyboard doesn't match up with the assumptions in the code (there's already support for an alternate cmd_char)... That was one of the things I was thinking of for a keybind window...

A keybind editing window would be more flexible and useful, IMO, but lately I haven't had the time or inclination to work on EL, so I haven't developed one yet, and I may not in the future. If you or someone else wants to work on it, I'm happy to discuss my ideas :)

Windows OSK by default only shows the characters that your locale is set to - and I would be able to reproduce those by.. pressing keys on the keyboard!

Every time I need to #IG Ozú I have to go to the Windows Character Map to find the ù and try 3 times to remember which ü it is :P:P

An onscreen keyboard in EL that only shows non-standard characters might be useful, but the Character Map is an option for those that use Windows (I haven't found the equivilant on my Linux box yet, but I'm sure it's there somewhere) so I'm not sure its worth the effort.