Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Usl

Adding a tag to AFK messages

It could be nice to have some form of tagging for AFK messages, for example prefixing them with "AFK:" (I know, this would take 5 chars out of the max lenght of AFK messages) or using a special color-code byte embedded in the message, to be added server-side.

This is easy to implement, and would be convenient both for new users (which may be confused by witty AFK messages at time, and continue talking in the void), and to avoid "pretended AFK" scams, like the one I have seen reported in the Outlaws forum. Ideally, the tagging should be of a form that users cannot simulate (e.g., a color code or special character that cannot be entered in the Options dialog or in el.ini), but even a simple string tagging would help.

I did a search in the forum, and could not find any thread with the same suggestion; apologies if this is indeed a repeat.

It's already possible for the message to get chopped, so removing a few more probably won't hurt...

The problem I see is that some people won't know what AFK stands for (those that do are probably more likely to guess that the fast responce is automated).

I do like the idea, I think it would help some people, but there are always going to be some people who can't understand it, no matter how well you try to explain.

My bots take the word "Automessage:" as a command with a null response, which worked well until the last client update changed the default AFK message but works great when the bots send me the trade logs.

A set AFK beginning would be a blessing for me at least :)

why should we know if the guy is really afk or not... fake afk is some kind of pk tactic, not a scam ...

BTW, setting afk_time to 0 means you are always afk, even when you're not. Feel free to keep that strategy.

Now, who would be silly enough to afk for real on a pk map? After all - nobody is invulnerable.

BTW, setting afk_time to 0 means you are always afk, even when you're not. Feel free to keep that strategy.

Now, who would be silly enough to afk for real on a pk map? After all - nobody is invulnerable.

People will often think it's fake, so not so silly :huh:

And it's common to be fake afk outside arenas, like NC arena. :evilgrin:

Or go afk and pretend it's fake.

Edited by Zamirah

People will often think it's fake, so not so silly :huh:

And it's common to be fake afk outside arenas, like NC arena. :evilgrin:

Or go afk and pretend it's fake.

Ahh that makes sense :)

I dont like the idea, got many newbies/spammers/newbie spammers that pm me like crazy.

My fake-afk msg is the only thing that keeps them quiet, otherwise i would have to put many ppl on ignore.

mp

Afk messages are for humans to humans(and some of us sub-humans :evilgrin: ).

I agree with masterpiter, Every visit to a storage I get a "can I have a free <blank>" and if I was to add to my ignore list ,it would grow enormous.

and to avoid "pretended AFK" scams, like the one I have seen reported in the Outlaws forum

Just say I want to change it to make parsing pms from players easier instead of a fake desire to

"Stop scamming" Changing the game to make it bot friendly is defeating the purpose of the game.

(which may be confused by witty AFK messages at time, and continue talking in the void),

I know I love the 1-2 people a day that argues with my trade bot

"Dude where are you?" , "Comeon Dude, how much for the LEs" I doubt this is the only thing

they are confused by.

My fake-afk msg is the only thing that keeps them quiet, otherwise i would have to put many ppl on ignore.
That shouldn't be a problem, just set AFK time to 0, manually enable AFK, and then everyone will get your AFK message and you can follow up with the people you do want to talk to. Granted, it may irritate a few people when they get the message, although if you have it on permanently then they only get it once per day or whatever, but it means you don't even have to do anything to send a message to the spammers.

isnt afk 0 that it never shows your afk message ? but only when you type #afk

isnt afk 0 that it never shows your afk message ? but only when you type #afk
That's what I said, but I'll elaborate.

Normally, the client will wait up to afk_time minutes of inactivity before automatically marking you as AFK. This will be unset as soon as you use the keyboard or click the mouse (not mouse movement, although allowing mouse movement to reset the AFK timer would be a simple code change).

If you set afk_time to 0, however, it's then under manual control. You turn AFK on and off with the #afk command; it will never automatically mark you as AFK, nor will it unset AFK on keystrokes, etc.

Therefore, if you set afk_time to 0, and remember to turn AFK on, everyone who PMs you (unless they are on your #ignore list) will get your AFK message straight away (once only, as long as your client is running, unless you mark yourself as AFK a second time).

Sometimes I like pretending I am afk, because I would rather not be bothered. A lot of people beg you for items, so them getting an AFK message makes them think I am not at the computer, THEN they most likely will forget it another time ;)

I would like the color change of the name for people who are afk (the manual one too), but there shouldn't be one that actually PROVES you are afk.. (in my opinion anyway) ;)