Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Athel's

chat log

helloo i switched to vista a month ago and i noticed tonight when going to look in my chat log for something, nd noticed tht it was not there. (yes i did look in the right place)

i looked in options in el to see that i didn't select the option for it not to save chat log, but it was on the correct option, i also looked to see it was not a hidden folder and it wasn't, i am not sure if this is a problem with el and vista together but thought i should post here

Are you, possibly, using a CVS or other non-release client? (If so, there's another place to look for logs, which it'll tell you when you start the client).

Otherwise, does your account have permissions to write to the EL directory? (Vista finally has some of the security from the *nix world added).

This is a result of the User Access Control security feature that Microsoft added with Vista. Unless you choose to run EL "as an administrator" the EL program doesn't have permission to write to files in your Program Files folder (C:\Program Files). Instead, Vista directs EL to write to another folder associated with your User Name on your computer. You can find chat_log in that folder. Where USER NAME is the user name you've chosen for your computer, you'll find chat_log in the folder:

C:\Users\USER NAME\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Eternal Lands

I've created a shortcut to chat_log at that location and placed it on my desktop.

Alternatively, you can run EL "as an administrator" every time you play. You do this by right clicking on the EL icon and then scrolling down to "Run as administrator."

By the way, Vista also writes .elm files to the folder that I mention above. That will make things tricky for Vista users with the new rule against using outdated .elm files. I recently uninstalled and completely reinstalled EL to try to solve another problem that I am having. That didn't remove the outdated .elm files associated with my user name.

EDIT: Two additional notes. First, Vista's search function will not find the chat_log file for you. You need to manually open up the folder. (At least, I didn't figure out any way to find it with the search function, even though the folder is there.) Second, AppData is a hidden folder, so you'll need to configure your folder options to show hidden folders.

Edited by Tarnbriar

If you're able to compile CVS, you could always try using NEW_FILE_IO... it's newer and hence a bit more likely to have bugs, but it expects to not have write access to the datadir, even on windows (as you've seen, with Vista, that's now needed).

The directory it will save all config and update data in isn't quite the same, but the client should tell you exactly where it is each time it starts, so it should be easy enough to find :D

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this