Eternal Lands Official Forums
Erstad

Eliminate storage chat window

So there I was playing Eternal Lands and wondering how long I could ignore and endure my basic human needs like hunger, sleep and wondering how much P.S.I. my gradually expanding bladder could take before it exploded(Because EL takes precidence over all other desires, Duh!)...and there it was...like creatures invading V.O.T.D. the Ideas just started spawning in the cave of my scull.

Storage...how many times have you visited storage? plenty right? dont you wish that when you clicked on the NPC your storage would just open instead of asking you each time if you want to open your storage? perhaps we could leave the menu option as it is on Raven (white stone storage NPC) for the "newbies" to use if they need help...but I place my vote that it would be prudent to the flow of the game if the options menu was eliminated and storage just opened automatically with a click.

And this takes me to a similar idea...when you kill a creature, and the creature leaves a bag on the ground, and you automatically walk on top of the creatures DB...sometimes it is very hard to see the DB under the fallen creature...what if the bag automatically opened on default initally after defeating a creature?

This could save many a finger from developing carpal tunnel syndrome later in life :))

Hakunamatata: The Dread Pirate Erstad

Storage...how many times have you visited storage? plenty right? dont you wish that when you clicked on the NPC your storage would just open instead of asking you each time if you want to open your storage? perhaps we could leave the menu option as it is on Raven (white stone storage NPC) for the "newbies" to use if they need help...but I place my vote that it would be prudent to the flow of the game if the options menu was eliminated and storage just opened automatically with a click.

Now playing 2 years, and ergonomy has never advanced in this game.

Why not just put the small npc head under list on left side, an welcome message on his right , until you do not examine an item ? You can then also replace the npc head with the object image you are currently examine.

You should also be able to put all status infos where you want on scree, even in a frame and to be able to lock it.

So there I was playing Eternal Lands and wondering how long I could ignore and endure my basic human needs like hunger, sleep and wondering how much P.S.I. my gradually expanding bladder could take before it exploded(Because EL takes precidence over all other desires, Duh!)...and there it was...like creatures invading V.O.T.D. the Ideas just started spawning in the cave of my scull.

And this takes me to a similar idea...when you kill a creature, and the creature leaves a bag on the ground, and you automatically walk on top of the creatures DB...sometimes it is very hard to see the DB under the fallen creature...what if the bag automatically opened on default initally after defeating a creature?

This could save many a finger from developing carpal tunnel syndrome later in life :))

Hakunamatata: The Dread Pirate Erstad

Love the 2 ideas!

Not sure if you are aware of this, but here goes. For opening those hard to reach bags (pun intended) you can CTRL+Click a quickbar slot. This will cause all of the item in the quickbar slot to drop on the ground, thus opening the bag for you. If you are concerned about the order of items in your inventory, CTRL+Click on the last item in the bag to pick up all of it and it should go to the first empty inventory slot and then click Get All.

Auto-opening a death bag has been discussed before, and rejected; you really don't want things popping up obscuring your screen when in hostile situations.

Skipping the NPC dialog for storage is appealing, but it would prevent that NPC from being used for a quest or other purposes. I think all NPCs have a common interface for this reason?

Now, if storage access was through interaction with some other map object, such as a chest or booth, then "use" could bring up the storage dialog.

Edited by trollson

Auto-opening a death bag has been discussed before, and rejected; you really don't want things popping up obscuring your screen when in hostile situations.
It could be done as a config option or as a hotkey (as in, one keypress to open the bag under your character).
Skipping the NPC dialog for storage is appealing, but it would prevent that NPC from being used for a quest or other purposes. I think all NPCs have a common interface for this reason?
Perhaps we should have use-with auto-open storage and deposit item, and trade-with open storage, while the traditional talk-to acts as it does now. Either of those would take server-code though.

How about making it switchable feature in client? So that those, who would want it can turn it on, the others would still have the dialog window...

How about making it switchable feature in client? So that those, who would want it can turn it on, the others would still have the dialog window...
That does nothing to help the problem that the dialogue window may, for some NPCs, have additional options in it...

What about an additional "Inventory" icon, except it being for storage? If you are in range of the storage NPC, you would be able to drag/drop items between the 2 inv windows (as is already the case) and if you are out of range, it is only a means of reviewing what you have in storage.

Face it, we already have the #sto command, so enabling the graphical storage window wouldn't give any additional "unfair advantage" and would serve to clean up the display a little

Put the help button in the storage window, in the corner or something. Newbies could still be helped, and older players would have one more click left in their finger.

Could it be made so that a dialogue will only show when the NPC is being used for a quest?

Keep in mind that if this was put in the the client, while map walking if you run over a bag you will turn around and go pick it up so if your trying to get away from something, or afk mapwalking you could come back and find yourself dead or at the same spot.

Keep in mind that if this was put in the the client, while map walking if you run over a bag you will turn around and go pick it up so if your trying to get away from something, or afk mapwalking you could come back and find yourself dead or at the same spot.

:D huh?

Regarding the Storage NPC dialogue window, a fairly painless way of getting rid of it would be to leave the window as-is, so that newbies don't get confused and all additional dialogue options, if any, are clearly visible, but close it when the "Open storage" action is selected.

This would mean still an additional click to get to the storage, but at least would reduce screen clutter, which is an additional benefit for newbies as well.

Just my €0.02 worth...

Agree w/no storage chat window.

When I talk to a storage npc I do so because I want my st00f and I want it now. Not because I want to know how their life is.

Might it be possible to have two ways to interact with an NPC? You could talk to a storage NPC (use the talk icon) as you do now, or you could "use" (pointer finger) a storage NPC and have it immediately open the inventory/storage windows with no dialog. Would require a client change so it's even possible to get the use icon on an NPC, but that's easy enough.

Maybe an option like we have for the "humor on/humor off"

Npc dialogue on or Npc dialogue off.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, and assume you read the previous posts (even though it seems to be the same as the quoted comment below), so what's your suggestion to deal with this problem?
That does nothing to help the problem that the dialogue window may, for some NPCs, have additional options in it...

Well I would think people would know if they are just dropping stuff off in storage and don't need additional dialogue, or if they are doing a quest and do need it. Is there anything else in a storage npc dialogue that I'm not thinking of? Of course the default would be "on".

And yes I am aware of it being said above, I was more just clarifying that we already can have the option to change the dialogues. Sorry for the ambiguity.

Well I would think people would know if they are just dropping stuff off in storage and don't need additional dialogue, or if they are doing a quest and do need it. Is there anything else in a storage npc dialogue that I'm not thinking of? Of course the default would be "on".
That assumes that either a quest-use would override the setting, which seems like a hack for a bad design, or that players have to remember to re-enable the dialogue to do the quest. I still say that if it's going to be changed, then a different way of interacting with the NPC (as in trade, vs talk, as the mouse cursor) is the best option so far.

:) huh?

If you are walking, and you walk over a bag, you would stop at the bag and open it , so if your trying to get away from something or are mapwalking, you would stop and be at the bag instead of walking.

Auto-opening bags is advantageous in some situations, like picking a bag from deep snow/sand, or picking a bag from a fat monster without needing to drop anything first. Would be nice if it was configurable.

Same for storage NPC dialogs, would save some time.

Edited by vytukas

Auto-opening bags is advantageous in some situations, like picking a bag from deep snow/sand, or picking a bag from a fat monster without needing to drop anything first. Would be nice if it was configurable.

Same for storage NPC dialogs, would save some time.

Yes, BagJumpers would just love autoopen bags so they can take the stuff adn them get out of there much faster!!! They could even steal bags if they walk over them by accident now!

I can understand objections when they are based on making rule violations easier, but bagjumping, while some people view it as a BadThing, does not violate any rules.

I'm all for this, will make looting gargs easier and grabbing my bag easier as well. Stopping for it would just be silly, though, I don't want an expeditious retreat interrupted by someone else's loot.

How about just using the trade icon on the storage NPC. Give the storage NPC an auto accept and boom you have storage open. The balloon would only show up if you did not have the trade icon active. Is that doable?

TirunCollimdus

CoGM of PATH

Perseverance And Tolerance Honored

No progress on this front? Leave the dialogue window if you want to have some storage NPCs available for quests or general storyline conversation, etc. but at least have the dialogue window close when you select "1) Open storage". It is serving no purpose to have the extra UI manipulation just to close the window which is itself serving no purpose 99.999% of the time other than to obscure the main UI area.