Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hazor

Server ignoring chat messages with certain words.

[17:49:08] [ttlanhil @ 20]: The ones sent here are usually because they don't shut up after a warning or two about talking about other games

[17:49:37] [ttlanhil @ 20]: Nah, most of them say what they were doing, talking about other games and stuff

[17:49:43] [Tiras Hazor @ 20]: I see.

[17:49:56] [ttlanhil @ 20]: Mostly just the one game...

[17:50:02] Too heavy, you are overloaded.

[17:50:02] You stopped harvesting.

[17:50:47] [Tiras Hazor @ 20]: Why don't we have the server disregard any local/channel chat with the name in it?

[17:51:09] [Tiras Hazor @ 20]: Or public channels at very least.

[17:51:22] [ttlanhil @ 20]: Sounds pretty good to me. But it's more server work, I guess, plus some people think it should be allowed here

[17:51:40] [Tiras Hazor @ 20]: Certain public channels, then. :P

[17:52:00] [ttlanhil @ 20]: 1-19 and local in places where summoning is disallowed?

[17:52:12] [ttlanhil @ 20]: The lists of which aren't up-to-date, but still.

[17:52:14] [Tiras Hazor @ 20]: That'd be perfect.

[17:52:23] [ttlanhil @ 20]: Suggest it! :P

[17:52:31] [Tiras Hazor @ 20]: Kay.

[17:52:40] [Tiras Hazor @ 20]: Is the suggestion forum still there?

[17:52:44] [ttlanhil @ 20]: Of course, they abbreviate it as well. And often they're illiterate enough to typo/misspell...

[17:52:50] [ttlanhil @ 20]: Yeah...

[17:52:56] [Tiras Hazor @ 20]: It'd still catch half of them.

[17:53:03] Beorn has logged on.

[17:53:09] [ttlanhil @ 20]: Yeah, and tell them why they can't talk about it :P

So, I'm suggesting that the server ignores any messages that are sent to channels 1-19, or to local in a no-summon zone, and contain "runescape" or "rune scape", unless sent by a moderator.

It'd so work, and rock, and make us all happier, and give the moderators one or two fewer headaches, and keep one or two more newbies in the newbie channel.

Edited by Hazor

As mentioned in the discussion, this would be futile since people who wanted to talk about banned subjects have a range of misspellings and abbreviations. The meaning is retained, it is still human readable and understandable, but you cannot stop talk on the forbidden subject without rather expensive pattern matching (which can then interfere with legitimate conversations due to false-positives).

This is also censorship. While there is a valid case for expletives, once you start having banned subjects it all gets rather nasty.

[17:49:08] [ttlanhil @ 20]: The ones sent here are usually because they don't shut up after a warning or two about talking about other games

[17:49:37] [ttlanhil @ 20]: Nah, most of them say what they were doing, talking about other games and stuff

[17:49:43] [Tiras Hazor @ 20]: I see.

[17:49:56] [ttlanhil @ 20]: Mostly just the one game...

[17:50:02] Too heavy, you are overloaded.

[17:50:02] You stopped harvesting.

[17:50:47] [Tiras Hazor @ 20]: Why don't we have the server disregard any local/channel chat with the name in it?

[17:51:09] [Tiras Hazor @ 20]: Or public channels at very least.

[17:51:22] [ttlanhil @ 20]: Sounds pretty good to me. But it's more server work, I guess, plus some people think it should be allowed here

[17:51:40] [Tiras Hazor @ 20]: Certain public channels, then. :)

[17:52:00] [ttlanhil @ 20]: 1-19 and local in places where summoning is disallowed?

[17:52:12] [ttlanhil @ 20]: The lists of which aren't up-to-date, but still.

[17:52:14] [Tiras Hazor @ 20]: That'd be perfect.

[17:52:23] [ttlanhil @ 20]: Suggest it! ;)

[17:52:31] [Tiras Hazor @ 20]: Kay.

[17:52:40] [Tiras Hazor @ 20]: Is the suggestion forum still there?

[17:52:44] [ttlanhil @ 20]: Of course, they abbreviate it as well. And often they're illiterate enough to typo/misspell...

[17:52:50] [ttlanhil @ 20]: Yeah...

[17:52:56] [Tiras Hazor @ 20]: It'd still catch half of them.

[17:53:03] Beorn has logged on.

[17:53:09] [ttlanhil @ 20]: Yeah, and tell them why they can't talk about it :D

So, I'm suggesting that the server ignores any messages that are sent to channels 1-19, or to local in a no-summon zone, and contain "runescape" or "rune scape", unless sent by a moderator.

It'd so work, and rock, and make us all happier, and give the moderators one or two fewer headaches, and keep one or two more newbies in the newbie channel.

There are plenty more ways to say it: rune/scape rune.scape runes cape rune@scape rune scape.....and plenty more

I stronly against any serverside filtering. People should have the possibility to speak free and take responsiblity for their words if any rules are broken. Moreover I don't think that mentioning runescape is an offence. Babling about it for hours may be boring and if happens in channels 1-6 would be against the rules, but that's it.

As far as catching mis-spellings... No, it doesn't have to.

All it has to do is catch one or two matches (with or without space) and remind the user of the rules. Yes, this will miss accidental misspellings, which is a failing, and also intentional misspellings which is not a failing.

Note that the end suggestion has no new censorship, it's only intended for the high-population areas like storages/beam (maybe) and channels 1-19 (1-6 would also work, since 7-19 aren't really used yet, but they are reserved for official use, so only 20, where people are sent to talk about it (and then they get irritated because they can't tell the difference between a mod telling them they can talk about it there, and why people there don't want to, which has been an issue before) of the official list has a reason to allow it).

This would not be a new restriction in any way, and the mods would still have to deal with anyone attempting to get around it... However, we're all familiar with the luser who doesn't even read the rules (on the other hand, the channel rules are not listed in F5 either), and having the server inform them that it's not appropriate for that channel will probably deter/remind a reasonable percentage.

That reminder/informing, not control/censorship, is where this idea could be, IMO, quite useful.

If the idea of server-side filtering is not appreciated, it could also be done on the client side; although the client then needs to be updated to know where not to allow certain words to be sent, and what errors to give (swearing in which channels, bad topics like RS in a few fewer channels, whatever else). This would prevent people from sending messages containing these words until disabled (and it would be in options so it can be disabled, but default to on. By the time they know how to disable it, they should no longer have the excuse that they're too new to have heard of channels rules).

There are a few cases where it's appropriate to talk about other games in channels 1-19, perhaps, such as when discussing how features of EL could work... But even those tend to get derailed as soon as people start talking about the other games.