Support a good cause & win big prizes

The prizes:

1. Full Bronze armor set #1 & Medallion of Life (unknown value) claimed

2. Full Bronze armor set #2 (unknown value) claimed

3. 10 Rostogol stones (a value of $50 from EL store) claimed

4. 10 Enriched Fire Essences (a value of $14 from EL store) claimed

5. 100,000 gold coins (unknown value, someone told me ~$25) claimed

6. 5000 red roses, 5000 red snapdragons, 5000 sulfur ore (unknown value) claimed

7. Harvester cloak (a value of $6 from EL store) claimed

8. BP & Conjurer cloaks, 1 each (a value of $12 from EL store) claimed

9. PS & Mirror cloaks, 1 each (a value of $12 from EL store) claimed

10. PS & FR cloaks, 1 each (a value of $12 from EL store) claimed

11. PS cloak & Cape of the Unbreakable (a value of $12 from EL store) claimed

12. MM cloak (unknown value) claimed

13. MM cloak (unknown value) claimed

14. 5000 dung (about 90,000 gc value by recent market trades) claimed

15. Medallion of Life (unknown value) claimed

16. Dragon Torso Armor (unknown value) claimed

17. 2000 empty vials (unknown value) claimed

18. 25,000 silver ore (unknown value) claimed

19. 1 Gold Crown, "looks cool" (unknown value) claimed

20. 5000 diamonds (unknown value) claimed

The cause: The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society is a not-for-profit, voluntary health organization whose mission is to cure leukemia, lymphoma, myeloma and Hodgkin’s disease and to improve the quality of life of patients and their families. The Society provides funding for research, public and professional education, patient aid, and community service programs. It is estimated that leukemia and related cancers will strike approximately 114,530 Americans this year and kill 54,480. Globally, the numbers are vastly higher. Thanks to research funded by The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, the survival rate for the most common form of childhood leukemia has improved from 4% in 1960 to over 80% today.

I have joined a very special Team in Training group of more than 35,000 volunteers nationwide. I am competing in an olympic length triathlon for a reason much more important than the personal challenge of completing these events. As members of the Team, we participate on behalf of local patients and survivors and are raising funds to battle blood cancers.

The rules: Lottery tickets are $5 US each. If you want to participate, you need to 1) send me a forum PM with your real name and dollar amount of donation, and 2) make your donation at http://www.active.com/donate/tntsoh/JeffWilson. You must do 1 & 2 in that order to prevent someone else from claiming to having made the donation. Attempting to claim someone else's donation will get you banned from EL. The prize list may increase before the drawing, but it will not decrease.

The winners: Winners will be chosen by lottery. For every $5 a person donates, they will get get one ticket. I will physically put the tickets in a hat (or maybe a box depending on number of participants) and draw them out. Or might use a random number generator if there a LOT of tickets. Yes, you will have to trust me. I will videotape the drawing and post it online for the very suspicious folks (but you already trust me as an EL developer, right?). In the order that the names are drawn, the winners will get to choose among remaining prizes. Winning one prize does not preclude you from winning another.

Remember, this is a charity fundraising event that just happens to have prizes as an incentive. The money goes to The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Donations are tax deductable in the US. If you do not like the terms, don't participate.

This event has been sanctioned by Entropy, who has graciously donated the bronze armor. Prizes 3-6 come from my 2 years of playing EL. Prizes 6 & 7 were donated by my brother, Awn. Prizes 8-13 donated by LabRat. #14 donated by Learner (no joke). Medallions of Life donated by ryddler. #16 anonymously donated. #17 donated by Shallara. #18 donated by the LGC guild. #19 donated by LoneWolfStrider. Additional donations to the prize list will be accepted.

Last day to purchase tickets for the lottery is August 1.

The drawing will be held on August 3 at 9 PM Eastern time, USA.

A winners list will be posted in this thread. Prizes will be "hand delivered" in-game.

For more information on The Society or the Team in Training program, please visit the following websites:

www.lls.org/soh

www.teamintraining.org/soh

[edit] If you do not have a credit card, you can also donate via paypal. Since paypal takes 4%, I would prefer that you donate straight to http://www.active.com/donate/tntsoh/JeffWilson, but I understand that this is not possible for everyone. See post #8 regarding donating via Paypal.

Edited by 0ctane

:) You. Are. Awesome. Raising funds to fight lukemia is a noble cause. Although I have personal vendetta's against some of the sponsors of Team in Training (coca-cola and nike), I'll still give my five bucks to potentially help future victims of lukemia.

Love the xcode variation for the el avatar you got going there!

Good luck in your triathlon!

Great idea, but one line made me spit out my cornflakes..

Attempting to claim someone else's donation will get you banned from EL.
I see that Ent has donated, did he also tell you that you could post the above line?

Great idea, but one line made me spit out my cornflakes..
Attempting to claim someone else's donation will get you banned from EL.
I see that Ent has donated, did he also tell you that you could post the above line?

I sent him the full text before I posted. Anyone trying to cheat is stealing from L&LS, cancer victims, and the EL community.

You are the total bomb 0ctane. My respect for you just keeps growing. I am proud you were my guildie. ;) I wish you the best of luck in the triathalon and I will be buying tickets every payday. :sneaky:

TirunCollimdus

coGM of PATH

In the order that the names are drawn, the winners will get to choose among remaining prizes.

I like this part. It means not only do you win, but now you get to pick. That's awesome! ;)

lilbear

I like this part. It means not only do you win, but now you get to pick. That's awesome! :icon13:

I figured that would be the best way of doing things. That way, you do not necessarily get stuck with a pile of dung (thanks again to Learner).

Okay, I setup a Paypal donation link: Paypal link

They want me to register as a business (with all the additional fees) and all sorts of other requirements in order to claim non-profit status. So, unfortunately, Paypal is going to take a cut of your donations. If you can donate using existing funds, they take less away. You will still get 1 ticket per $5 US donated, but if at all possible, donate through http://www.active.com/donate/tntsoh/JeffWilson instead (since the whole donation goes to the cause).

This is an awesome idea. Not only can one get cool stuff for less than the EL store, it goes to support an excellent cause.

Only five people are listed as having donated to this so far. Come on people! Five bucks is not the end of the world. It's two Starbucks coffees (I think), a Blockbuster movie rental, half a movie ticket. It's five sodas or snacks from the vending machine. Certainly you can afford five bucks!

Only five people are listed as having donated to this so far. Come on people! Five bucks is not the end of the world. It's two Starbucks coffees (I think), a Blockbuster movie rental, half a movie ticket. It's five sodas or snacks from the vending machine. Certainly you can afford five bucks!

I believe the "5" you see are the TOP contributors, not all of the contributors.

I believe the "5" you see are the TOP contributors, not all of the contributors.

Correct, as far as the list on that website is concerned. Some of the people listed currently are old friends, some are EL players. However, Ghrae is the sixth contributor in this event/contest. Still looking like a few people will get a number of prizes. Odds are that each person will get at least one.

Actually, around here it's only one Starbucks coffee... so I made myself coffee this morning and sent in my donation.

This was, in my opinion, a phenomenal idea, and I hope it works out well for you!

Lyeowar

thats great what you are doing cause my grandpa passed away with lyphoma

It is unfortunate that many of us know someone affected by cancer, be it leukemia, lymphoma, breast cancer, ovarian cancer, prostate cancer,....

Actually, it is great what all of you are doing. Yes, I am fundraising, but you are making the donations to help the cause too.

The prize list continues to grow with LabRat donating additional capes and an anonymous Dragon Torso Armor! Just a little over a week to go.

I'd love to donate, but PayPal has been messing up recently, so I'll need to talk to my Bank, but once it's sorted, I'll be sure to donate!

I'll give you some value's of items that are there, if you like..

MM Capes are 6$ also, iirc.

Dung about 15$ worth

MOL about 3$

Fire Ess Ings 5$+

Dragon Armour ~40$.

Hope those help, and I'll donate soon! :)

In the order that the names are drawn, the winners will get to choose among remaining prizes.

Um... I just thought i'd throw this out there. But isn't it going to take an awfull long time to do that? :) I mean you have to wait for the 1st prize winner to be on and choose what they want before you can give out other prizes... And so on and so forth through all the prizes, and what if 2nd place is out of town for a week?

Um... I just thought i'd throw this out there. But isn't it going to take an awfull long time to do that? :) I mean you have to wait for the 1st prize winner to be on and choose what they want before you can give out other prizes... And so on and so forth through all the prizes, and what if 2nd place is out of town for a week?

Well people should be donating for the cause. Any prize you get should be secondary and not a huge matter when you get it, I would think.

Well, I thought that might be an incentive to participate in the event. Apparently not, since so far only 13 people have donated. I was not too keen on doing a "winner take all" lottery. I considered having the order of prizes above match the order in which names were drawn, but what if you got #15 and could not get to the caustic storage (lots of hobgoblins around one of them) or had no desire to pursue engineering? I thought being able to choose would be a nice perk. Of course, if the last remaining prize is the dung, well, you are stuck with a big bag of it. :)

Unless someone wants to remain anonymous (PM me if that is the case) I will just post a winners list. Then I will contact those people in order, note what they want in this thread (on said list), and move on to the next person. Should not take all that long since we would not have to be online at the same time. I will probably use some trusted individuals to help distribute the spoils.

If you donate and don't get drawn for one of the above prizes, I will probably put together a consolation prize (consisting of some stuff remaining in my storage). This depend on how many people finally donate.

Ok, so most of the reason I brought that up is that I donated. And I happen to know I'll be out of town when you do the drawing thing. Just thought I'd let you know that

I donated 30 bucks via PayPal, I just hope that if a cure is found, it will become public domain, rather than feed the big pharma pigs.

*nods in agreement with entropy*

And it really is awesome that you are doing this 0ctane, I don't think I could have put money to anything better. I really hope lots more people donate :)