Eternal Lands Official Forums
ttlanhil

The Minimap

I think you misunderstand me, I mean move it like "click on the border and drag to a new position" so it isn't taking up the area that messages are displayed on, or blocking the other windows when you are mixing/trading etc.

No actually i understood you but i really have no idea atm about a good way to do it when the title bar is hidden. Any ideas?

Make your own title bar. A small spot at the top of the circle can be in a different colour. If you click and hold down the mouse in that spot, you start to move the minimap.

Or draw a small border on the top of the mini map and use that for moving it. Let it look like the border of the moveable quickspell bar and everybody should get the idea, how to move the mini map.

Like a *real* window.

Piper

Yeah, like that, it looks really great :confused:

Maybe looking at the code for the moveable inventory bar might help, since the title bar has the same size.

Piper

Sometime ago I sent in a patch to allow showing the names on the minimap. It was never rejected nor accepted but the question was postponed until the contextmenu stuff was working to toggle such features.

With the minimap2 this patch must be completely rewritten so I'm asking if this is still wanted

- names on the minimap

- hiding of dead actors

- displaying of bags

names of creatures or actual player names? I'd have to say no to both, same with displaying of bags. Makes things too easy.

Plese consider whether it would be possible to make minimap marker colors to be adjustable (just light and dark would be enough). As probably everyone noticed, light squares on snow maps are hardly visible.

Sometime ago I sent in a patch to allow showing the names on the minimap. It was never rejected nor accepted but the question was postponed until the contextmenu stuff was working to toggle such features.

With the minimap2 this patch must be completely rewritten so I'm asking if this is still wanted

- names on the minimap

- hiding of dead actors

- displaying of bags

names of creatures or actual player names? I'd have to say no to both, same with displaying of bags. Makes things too easy.

What about displaying map markers? Would save me pixeling in all my favorite spots on the .bmp :)

Way back when I wrote the (TC) client one of the revisions of it had bags displayed on the map. I still remember the mod announcement declaring the client illegal, and the ensuing chat with Entropy explaining that I was not trying to do anything illegal, I just thought it was a neat feature that nobody had come up with yet.

All was well again once I removed bags on map, and the (TC) client continued to be used as a testbed for the CVS client.

Moral: unless Ent declares it legal in the future, Ent has already declared bags on map as illegal.

Sorry to necro this thread, but is there are definate 'no' for the minimap displaying names?

I wrote a small patch to do it with the rotating minimap, but it turns out I didn't search well enough before I made it. :D

Something I was planning to do at a later stage was stopping names from being displayed on top of each other (i.e. moving them around and drawing an arrow between the dot and the name), and maybe printing them outside of the map so it doesn't look too crowded. At the moment I have it displaying when shift is held, and it doesn't look too crowded, but I'm not sure how it'd look in a highly populated area like NC storage.

From a player's point of view, I think it'd be a useful feature for a/d trainers, especially in places where your vision is obscured by trees and suchlike. However from an RP perspective, I don't see this fitting in very well.