Eternal Lands Official Forums
ttlanhil

The Minimap

I also believe it is stable and usable, with the only thing missing being the display of the mines. That shouldn't be too hard a job so if someone could take a quick look it would be an excellent addition for the update.

I used it all the time until the CVS client was banned on the main server.

Not a single issue - and a most welcome addition to EL!

I also believe it is stable and usable, with the only thing missing being the display of the mines. That shouldn't be too hard a job so if someone could take a quick look it would be an excellent addition for the update.

I tried to add mines:

http://developer.berlios.de/patch/index.ph...p;group_id=1256

Please don't slap me, I'm not experienced with C.

/EDIT:

Well, if the small wooden box in PL (test server) opposite of the sto exit is a mine, then my map works.

Another color (currently green) for the mines is needed, but that's up to Roja anyways I guess.

Edited by Florian

I used it all the time until the CVS client was banned on the main server.

Not a single issue - and a most welcome addition to EL!

The CVS client prior to that announcement can very well be used on the main server. In fact, if you don't care about accessing your storage, you can use the current CVS on the main server for all I care, just don't report bugs.

Mines in minimap status:

- they show up, even at the right coords :(

- one mine is drawn at 0,0, I'll have to find out why

- when mines get removed, they seem to stay in the list, so I'll have to find out how to draw only active, visible mines

I'm working on it.

/EDIT: well, that was a lot less work than I thought:

solved problems:

- color for mines not green

- ghost mine at 0,0 no longer there

- removing mines now works

- dead actors in darker yellow

http://developer.berlios.de/patch/download.php?id=2232

please test the patch

Edited by Florian

Ok, someone please test the patch, and if it works commit it.

I'd happily do so but I wasn't around when they test mines were handed out so I don't have any. I've applied the patch to my local copy and it compilers and runs OK. The code looks fine (apart from use of space rather than hard tabs but that's easy to fix :) ). If I can get hold of some mines (any offers), I'll finish testing.

Edited by bluap

Heh, I compiled both patches (shield spells and this one) into a client last night but never ran it. I'm trying to balance a bunch of projects (with very limited deadlines) and so I will get to it, but its just taking some time.

Basically if someone gets to it before me then its all good. :-)

OK, Torg, Florian and I had a bit of fun testing this together. The patch works nicely and I've committed it to CVS. Thanks Florian :)

.... and add a HUD icon to open/close the window. The icon will be a problem on the lowest resolution as we're out of space

I've been having a look at a patch by drakos7 submitted June 2006 to provide scalable hud icons. This could provide a solution to the lack of space for low resolution windows. Although old, the patch applied relatively easily and looks to be working nicely. There was an issue when increasing resolution (the icon window needed to be resized) and a bug with the input text window but I've fixed those. Was there any other reason this patch was not accepted/taken further before? If we want to use this, I'll have a think about automatically setting the scale if space is limited.

.... and add a HUD icon to open/close the window. The icon will be a problem on the lowest resolution as we're out of space

I've been having a look at a patch by drakos7 submitted June 2006 to provide scalable hud icons. This could provide a solution to the lack of space for low resolution windows. Although old, the patch applied relatively easily and looks to be working nicely. There was an issue when increasing resolution (the icon window needed to be resized) and a bug with the input text window but I've fixed those. Was there any other reason this patch was not accepted/taken further before? If we want to use this, I'll have a think about automatically setting the scale if space is limited.

I think there may have been concerns as to how the scaled icons looked.

I think there may have been concerns as to how the scaled icons looked.

Well, IMHO they look fine, I can post some screen shots if that helps. I also found the original discussion about the patch here. That discussion ends with a note about not resizing windows in the display loop. I fixed this when I fixed the resolution change bug, going the resize to the init_*_icons() functions and using init_window().

Well, too late for that now, so close to the release.

We'll have to take a look at it after we have the update.

This is better anyway, since the minimap hasn't be extensively tested so there might still be some bugs left, so for this update it will be sort of an unofficial feature that can only be enabled as a keyboard shortcut.

Just FYI, the mines additions have not been properly #ifdef'ed in the code that has been added to the minimap. Compiling with MINIMAP fails unless you also have enabled MINES. But this shouldn't be a problem since mines are going to be in the official client, or no?

Patch

Index: minimap.c
===================================================================
RCS file: /cvsroot/elc/elc/minimap.c,v
retrieving revision 1.25
diff -u -d -p -r1.25 minimap.c
--- minimap.c   9 Nov 2007 23:30:08 -0000	   1.25
+++ minimap.c   12 Nov 2007 10:02:33 -0000
@@ -14,7 +14,9 @@
#include "hud.h"
#include "init.h"
#include "interface.h"
-#include "mines.h"
+#ifdef MINES
+ #include "mines.h"
+#endif
#include "misc.h"
#include "spells.h"
#include "textures.h"
@@ -234,6 +236,7 @@ static __inline__ void draw_actor_points
	}

// mines
+ #ifdef MINES
	for (i = 0; i < NUM_MINES; i++)
	{
			mine *m = &mine_list[i];
@@ -251,6 +254,7 @@ static __inline__ void draw_actor_points
					glVertex2f(x, y);
			}
	}
+ #endif // MINES

glEnd();//GL_POINTS
	glColor4f(1.0f,1.0f,1.0f,1.0f);

Just FYI, the mines additions have not been properly #ifdef'ed in the code that has been added to the minimap. Compiling with MINIMAP fails unless you also have enabled MINES.

Patch

Fixed in CVS now, thanks both.

Current minimap bugs:

- fog of war does not work on large maps like WS, the circle drawn by the fog is too large

- when you're next to a map border, the other side of the map also disappears. Hard to explain, the screeny says more than words:

http://www.superfloh.dyndns.org/el/minimap.png (Northern IP)

- The background where there is no map shouldn't be bright white but black I think.

Current minimap bugs:

- fog of war does not work on large maps like WS, the circle drawn by the fog is too large

- when you're next to a map border, the other side of the map also disappears. Hard to explain, the screeny says more than words:

- The background where there is no map shouldn't be bright white but black I think.

Do you have frame buffer support enabled? If so, do these bugs also show up when you disable it?

Do you have frame buffer support enabled? If so, do these bugs also show up when you disable it?

The "next to map border" bug is framebuffer related.

When I switched FB on again, the bug was there again and unfortunately my Mac froze. So that bug is here again :)

Current minimap bugs:

Bugs 2&3 are probably the same bug (the white should be clipped), but with no machine that lets me use a frame buffer, it's really hard for me to debug.

As for bug 1, it think the circle is too large on all maps. Will investigate.

The circle is just right on IP, I think.

And I won't test FB on/off because it freezes my whole machine and I have to login remotely and reboot it.

Edited by Florian