Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ttlanhil

changes for make.defaults

There are two things I'd like to change with the current make.defaults setup

1) Comment out the PLATFORM= line. In nearly all cases, the system will already know what platform it is compiling for. This flag should only need to be set when cross-compiling, and will have to be changed for anyone not using i686 (which isn't that small a percentage)

2) X86_64 should be able to be set after a call to `arch` or similar. Obviously, this isn't as portable, but should be fine, AFAIK, if done in Makefile.linux (and then a comment in make.defaults that you don't have to set it on Linu, or any other platforms this approach is ported to). Of course, this won't work at all for stuff like MSVC, but in that case, we could look at (as in, more checking before it's done):

#ifdef _WIN64

#define X86_64

#endif //_WIN64

Does anyone see a problem with this approach?

Edited by ttlanhil

There are two things I'd like to change with the current make.defaults setup

1) Comment out the PLATFORM= line. In nearly all cases, the system will already know what platform it is compiling for. This flag should only need to be set when cross-compiling, and will have to be changed for anyone not using i686 (which isn't that small a percentage)

2) X86_64 should be able to be set after a call to `arch` or similar. Obviously, this isn't as portable, but should be fine, AFAIK, if done in Makefile.linux (and then a comment in make.defaults that you don't have to set it on Linu, or any other platforms this approach is ported to). Of course, this won't work at all for stuff like MSVC, but in that case, we could look at (as in, more checking before it's done):

#ifdef _WIN64

#define X86_64

#endif //_WIN64

Does anyone see a problem with this approach?

You can't assume that the platform will be set to default to what a player is on. Many people have accidentally done 386 compiles because their distro was compiled that way.

Maybe not, but it'll work, even if it's not as efficient as it could be, right?

Currently ELC won't compile for a number of people, such as anyone with 64bit CPUs. Which means these people have to set make.conf not to update or edit make.defaults so their PLATFORM setting doesn't keep getting broken by CVS

Maybe not, but it'll work, even if it's not as efficient as it could be, right?

Currently ELC won't compile for a number of people, such as anyone with 64bit CPUs. Which means these people have to set make.conf not to update or edit make.defaults so their PLATFORM setting doesn't keep getting broken by CVS

People are supposed to be editting their make.conf that is make from make.defaults to adjust it for their system. They shouldn't be constantly remaking their make.conf.

There have been issues where changes in make.conf are overridden when make.defaults is updated before.

In either case, IMO ELC should compile out-of-the-box, and right now, for non-i686 people, it won't.