Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ttlanhil

Quickspells management

Spells Quickbar:  

135 members have voted

1. 1. Should new spells added to the quickbar be added to the top or bottom?

• top (as it is now)
    • bottom (change it)
    • neutral, only voting in other poll
  2. 2. Should key+mouse move quickspell buttons up/down?

• no (as it is now)
    • yes, with shift key (change it)
    • yes, with alt key (change it)
    • neutral, only voting in other poll

Polling has been closed for a while now. The results:

When you add a new spell to your quickbar, it will go into the first available slot (or the last one if there are none available), rather than going into the first slot.

You can shift+left/right click to move a spell up/down.

You have to ctrl+right-click to remove a spell, not just right-click as it previously was.

I looked into being able to drag the spells up/down, but it looked like it'd take a bit of work, and for a list 6 long, I don't think it's really important enough to spend a lot of time on :P

Edited by ttlanhil

Neutral(1) and alt key(2).

Alt key because there's that sticky button function thing with windows, and knowing myself I'm gonna start pressing shift and get distracted somehow in the next second and keep it pressed for too long and activate it.

And thats annoying. :P

-Blee

ooh... okay, in that case, the alt+click votes will be rolled into shift+click... so it looks highly likely that clicking to move quickspell buttons will happen :D

What we need along with the ability to move the quick-bar spells about is a button on the Spell Window labeled "Add to quickbar" so you don't have to cast a spell to setup your quickbar spells.

the problem with that is that A) you don't yet know if the spell is valid, and :D you don't know the name of it if it is valid (AFAIK)

Guest ohmygod

I would like to see the quick spell bar go from 6 to 8 spells, plz :)

Would be nice if the number of spells available in quick bar reflected the magic lvl of the caster.

can you do click drag instead of use a key like shift? I think that would be more intuitive

And additionally while your at it can we have the right click to remove changed to ctrl-rightclick. You can try and guess how many times i have destroyed my bar but i doubt you will come close

Would be nice if the number of spells available in quick bar reflected the magic lvl of the caster.
not going to do that
can you do click drag instead of use a key like shift? I think that would be more intuitive
possibly... it might mean you have to shift+drag in order to not cast, though, not certain how the dragging code works
And additionally while your at it can we have the right click to remove changed to ctrl-rightclick. You can try and guess how many times i have destroyed my bar but i doubt you will come close
well, ctrl+rightclick is used for mapmarks, so yes, that seems more consistent... unless there's strong objections I'll go with that as well

also... anyone who doesn't have questions/comments to add, please don't repeat what you voted for, makes it easier to go over questions/comments :)

ed: Poll ending soon, as in an hour or two (as per the timestamp below, which will give you your local time if set... or compare to the time at the bottom of the page)

Edited by ttlanhil

I think they should stay at the top, so you can easily cast a spell and use a SR with the mouse...

but from the poll it seems I'm in the minority...

So how about a simple option to choose between at the top or at the bottom?

EDIT: lmao extremely sorry for this post, I completely mis understood it all

I too would prefer it going in at the bottom

Edited by Rockfall

I think they should stay at the top, so you can easily cast a spell and use a SR with the mouse...
uhm... the spell icons won't move... they will move less than before. maybe I didn't explain it very well.

currently, you have slots 1-6

[1]

[2]

[3]

[4]

[5]

[6]

now, say the first three have spells A, B, C

[A]

[C]

[4]

[5]

[6]

when you add a spell, say, D, it goes to the top

[D]

[A]

[C]

[5]

[6]

what I'm talking about changing is so that new spells go to the end, not start, so adding D would have made it

[A]

[C]

[D]

[5]

[6]

this won't at all impact their use, only make it, to my mind, easier to get them in the order you want when you add them

So how about a simple option to choose between at the top or at the bottom?
there's heaps of options in the client already... we'd run out of space in ctrl+o if we added new options all the time :)

Okay, the polling is done as of now.

The vote to change to add-to-bottom was 45:28 in favour (as the above post indicated, it's possible people thought I meant adding from slot 6 towards slot 1, so they may have liked the idea of adding to slot 4 in the above example... In either case, the margin is pretty clear)

The vote to be able to adjust with a keypress was even clearer, at 75:9 in favour. This will be using the shift key. I'll look into the ability to drag; I haven't worked with the drag code in ELC yet :)

So I'll adjust this in CVS soon; thanks to everyone who voted and/or gave suggestions

as in jump the current one to top/bottom of the list? that'd make it harder to rearrange the middle of the list (still possible, of course, just harder)

For adding them. Say I already have Restore at the top but I want to add another spell for a short period of time. If you could add a new spell as the last one, it would be a bit more convenient. You wouldn't have to start using ctrl-2 to restore for that short period of time. It can be a deadly mistake :)

Maybe I'm missing what you're saying, but why would you need to change what number you use?

The change that I'll make would mean adding a spell would go to the end of the list.

Personally, I don't like it going to the start (slot 1 at the top) because that causes all existing spells to change number (I think one of the big problems with changing it will be that people are used to the current way)

Maybe I'm missing what you're saying, but why would you need to change what number you use?

The change that I'll make would mean adding a spell would go to the end of the list.

Personally, I don't like it going to the start (slot 1 at the top) because that causes all existing spells to change number (I think one of the big problems with changing it will be that people are used to the current way)

You don't always want a spell to go to the end though. Oops, I right clicked restore. I'll just re-add it. Doh! It's at the end!

sure, but that's what shift+click would be for, moving the spells up/down

ed: plus it'll be ctrl+rightclick to remove, which should reduce accidents by a lot

Edited by ttlanhil

Sweet :( Pardon my selective reading :)

Could this be done for the initial adding of spells?

Edited by Nintenduh

The initial add of spells to the quickbar will go to the end of the list (or the bottom, depending on how you look at it).

If you want to move it then, you can shift+left/right click to move it up/down on the list.

And of course, people can still use LabRat's quickspell generator :)