Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ttlanhil

Quickspells management

Spells Quickbar:  

135 members have voted

1. 1. Should new spells added to the quickbar be added to the top or bottom?

• top (as it is now)
    • bottom (change it)
    • neutral, only voting in other poll
  2. 2. Should key+mouse move quickspell buttons up/down?

• no (as it is now)
    • yes, with shift key (change it)
    • yes, with alt key (change it)
    • neutral, only voting in other poll

y'know, there are still people voting, despite the first post saying how the polling is finished... it's now up to a listed number of 204 (which means 102 people voted)

maybe we need a poll where the question has interesting options, and the first post says not to vote or you get forum banned, and then you actually get forum banned if you don't even read what you're voting on...

this sort of clueless voting has the potential to mess up the game, since some people are voting for... well... they have no idea... and we devs can only assume that poll results are somewhat reflective of what the playerbase would like

Edited by ttlanhil

...maybe we need a poll ...

Or, when a poll is finished the topic is locked to freeze it at that point (assumes there's no way to simply close the poll to stop further votes)?

Can't stop the poll without locking the thread. The problem with that is usually the discussion is still important so it isn't desirable to lock the entire thing.

As indicated above, that would require a new thread.

It'd be possible to ask a mod to split the discussion into a new thread, and lock the one with the poll, since there are undoubtably still things that could be discussed here.

However... I see no reason anyone should vote without reading the first post...

Ideally, they should read all points from other people to make a more informed decision, but that can take a lot of time... However, not reading the full description of what you're voting for in the first post means you just want to voice any opinion without knowing exactly what it is

ed: oh, also, I did post numbers at the time where I closed polling, so it is 'frozen'... the problem is not in that the numbers change, it's that people aren't reading... locking the poll won't make any difference to the problem, you just won't see it as much

Edited by ttlanhil

One of my pet peeves:

"Well I didn't read the other posts because <insert excuse> but I think blah blah blah".

In my opinion, if you don't have the courtesy to read what others have said before you, you have forfeited your right to expect anyone to read or care what you have to say. And how many times have we seen that these well thought out concerns and questions have already been resolved and answered back a bit in the same thread?

Same with searches... a lot of time gets wasted explaining the same thing countless times as to why it will not happen, can not happen, or already is happening.

Anyway on topic...this looks great, thank you. :o

Voted within the right timeframe already, and am now posting an idea up that has occured to me since then. Whilst I love Labrats quickspell generator I note that BKC56's suggestion that some form of adding the spells is unfeasible as mentioned by ttlanhils reply because of not knowing if the spell sigils selected by the player are the correct ones etc etc. (Yes I know a quote & reply would have been ideal here but I am pushed for time, sorry, doing quick-reply here).

Would it instead be possible to incorporate the quickspell into the encyclopedia listing for magic spells? Have a button on the listing to add that spell to your quickbar, for instance? We can still use this method of moving the spells up and down, as per ttlan's work here...

Just a thought, np if not.

One of my pet peeves:

"Well I didn't read the other posts because <insert excuse> but I think blah blah blah".

I've been guilty of that, to a degree... I'll always read the first post, but if the thread is long (ie many pages worth) I'll often just skim the rest and read what grabs my attention... I probably got most of what the discussion was, but I may have missed some subtlety (especially if it's from people I've gotten used to ignoring, but that's another issue :P )
Would it instead be possible to incorporate the quickspell into the encyclopedia listing for magic spells? Have a button on the listing to add that spell to your quickbar, for instance?
It means less problems with a misclick adding the wrong spell, but ultimately it's the same as letting the users add a spell without having cast it first.

Check LabRat's page for the generator and you'll see the note about the server booting you if you try to cast a spell you don't have the sigils for. The same thing would happen in-game... The big difference? Things in-game should Just Work while things done outside of the game (unofficial, even if officially sanctioned) can have a bit more tolerance for things going wrong... In other words, I think it's OK for the quickspell generator to include bad spells, because it has a warning and only the slightly more advanced players will use it, whereas in-game it needs to only work with valid spells.

That's my personal opinion on the matter, of course, and if the higher-ups decide that it should be done, I'll make the changes