Eternal Lands Official Forums
Tanyia

Cannot connect to server [SOLVED]

Hello, seems I'm back here yet again. Now ya'll know why I haven't been on in a while ;)

Anyway, EL starts for me, but cannot connect to the server. I read in this thread

http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=34693

that it is probably some program blocking EL. Howerver, I'm running Ubuntu Linux (Edgy Eft), and I do not have any virus protection software nor any firewall. I have disabled GAIM, since that worked for Grogan. The only thing I have running is firefox (to post this) and a terminal window. And yes, I tried closing firefox and then running EL.

Edit: And no, EL isn't being blocked by my service provider (MIT).

I am really at a loss. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Stats:

Ubuntu Edgy Eft

Graphics card: Intel 85GM integrated

512 RAM

40 GB hard drive

like 1.66 GHz processor

error_log.txt:

Log started at 2007-06-07 15:07:30 localtime (EDT)

[15:07:30] Error: Can't open file "quest.log"

[15:07:30] Error: Can't open file "./tmp/temp000.dat"

[15:07:30] Error: Can't open file "commands.lst"

On another note...the game warns me after accepting the rules that my graphics card is not sufficient to support the "next release." I have gone through el.ini and disabled everything (sound, eye candy, special effects, music, shadows...etc etc). If I can get it to connect, will the game even work, or am I just SOL until I get a new computer in a few months?

Edited by Tanyia

a number of people have been having troubles lately, it seems to be a problem with above.net... it may work again for you in an hour or a day... one other things to check, can you load http://game.eternal-lands.com/online_players.htm ?

also, that message is for the release after this one, not the current one... you'll still be able to play, although it'll probably be quite slow

I can access the online players page.

I have been trying to connect for several (3 or so) days now. :-/

Edited by Tanyia

if you can get that page and not the server, then it's the port... you could try

telnet game.eternal-lands.com 2000

or the test server... but something is blocking port 2000

Or

telnet the-green-leaf.de 2000

If you cant connect to port 2000, something like virus tools, firewalls, your network or whatever iis blocking port 2000 :D

Maybe lifting the lid of your bawwel would help to get a better connection :)

Piper

Ok, well, maybe it's just a problem with my game/computer. Telnet seems to work, and it takes a very long (5-10 min) to say that it cannot connect. If I click on the client while it's trying to connect, or minimize/maximize it, the client goes completely black, and I have to kill -9 to get rid of it. I was just assuming it was getting frozen because it was trying to connect, but maybe it is something else?

Gah, I want to see the penguins! :P

And no, it can't be virus software/firewalls/network. I have no virus software or firewalls, and I have tried this on three very different networks. Plus, I could play on my desktop (which I do not have access to anymore), but not on my laptop. Now that I think about it, this problem has been going on since I installed Ubuntu a few weeks ago.

Edited by Tanyia

Telnet seems to work, and it takes a very long (5-10 min) to say that it cannot connect.

That definitely sounds like you have something blocking you connecting on port 2000. It's interesting that it takes so long to time out. I can't think of anything default in Ubuntu that would block it though. :-S

If I click on the client while it's trying to connect, or minimize/maximize it, the client goes completely black, and I have to kill -9 to get rid of it. I was just assuming it was getting frozen because it was trying to connect, but maybe it is something else?

Yeah, that's normal. It's not frozen, its just that while EL is trying to connect to the server it doesn't redraw the screen. Therefore if you minimise, or drag another window over it, will cause it to go black until its finished.

Gah, I want to see the penguins! :P

Hehehe. I do too. I guess I should actually log in and go for a wander. :-P

Tan, when you telnet to the server, does it say anything at all before it says it can't connect? My session goes something like

Trying 62.93.225.47...
Connected to game.eternal-lands.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
ÖHi, and welcome to Eternal Lands! If you're new to the game and need help, please read the newbie helper guides on the main website. If you would rather learn by doing, talk to the Tutorial NPC, which is at the start point. In addition to that, you can type #help_me and your question to get a live response if there are helpers online. Click on the screen to continue!

ALWAYS ask to have the gc be the last item in a trade window, to make it harder to get scammed.
<LcîPuTTYConnection closed by foreign host.

where the disconnect is caused by the fact that I don't know how to send heart beats through a terminal window.

Also, when you run the client, while it's trying to connect, how's cpu usage? I ask because I believe I had a race in the client yesterday, had to kill -9 it. Tried to catch it in a debugger, but couldn't reproduce it.

Grum, that's exactly what my telnet says. The telnet doesn't say it can't connect, just the client.

While trying to connect, the CPU usage goes up only 0-10%, but mostly there is no change. Once I try to alt-x or close it with the x on the window, the CPU usage goes up like 10-15% and I have to kill -9 it.

So I guess nothing's blocking the connection, it's a client issue. Unfortunately I don't have a good idea on how to proceed next.

Are you running the released client, or did you compile your own?

Does it also happen on the test server? (probably so if you can't connect at all)

Can you post the #server_address and #server_port lines of ~/.elc/el.ini ?

Anything in connection_log.txt?

Would you be able to compile your ow code? In that case we might be able to do some debugging.

Can you post the #server_address and #server_port lines of ~/.elc/el.ini ?

Oh boy, I can't believe I didn't think of it earlier. This is a very good question.

I had the same problem when I was testing my own build of EL. The default el.ini in CVS had an outdated server address. (I have since fixed CVS).

Oh my gosh...THANK YOU GUYS~!!!!!!!

The #server_address was set to eternal-lands.network-studio.com Changed it to game.eternal-lands.com and VOILA!!!!!!!!

HERE I COME PENGUINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Tanyia