Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

What is your opinion about multiplaying?

Would you like to be able to multiplay?  

486 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to be able to multiplay?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't care
  2. 2. If the previous answer was yes, what kind of multiplaying would be ok?

• Economical only (trades, muling, item swaps)
    • Combat only (including PKing, magic)
    • Both of them
    • Neither (voted no)

This is a joke.. right Entropy? :evilgrin:

If not, you can make 3 chars harv for your main.

Main can always train or pk, dont worry about gc.

Prices for everthing will be MUCH! higher.

In other words, will make the game unplayable.

Oh, how I love prophets like you that know for sure how everything will change.

Lets see this in praxis. I am harvesting titanium with my alt and i am training on feros with my main char.I minimize the window of my main char and i open the window of my alt. by the time i must go back the feros will probably go away and i ll start searching. i am allready losing the spawn sometimes without multing lol.

Even if i wont lose the fero i must watch my health in my alt,the harvesting events, i must map walk,click on the ladder, click in the exit of the cave,map walk again, click at the entrance of the storage,click on the storage and put the items.at the same time i must train with my alt. Well at the end of the day i ll get no exp and a few gc.

The few gc i ll get, would be probably almost the same gc i would get if i was killing more feros.

Anyway if someone wants to make money i believe that he must concentrate to make money.if someone wants exp he must train hard.Thats the only way and i dont think multi playing will help them.And see all those who got banned,Most of them were low level players...

Multi will help people who want to sell weapons to trick etc.

1500 people was an example and i wasnt talking about the alts but the people that got banned because they had alts and all those that will be banned in the future.

We are in 2007 and its not difficult to have a dial up connection,a dsl and a wi fi internet connection at the same time,we can even have 2 ip's from the same pc.And a pentium 3 is enough to play el.

Also if more gc will be produced, more gc will be needed too.

This is a joke.. right Entropy? :evilgrin:

If not, you can make 3 chars harv for your main.

Main can always train or pk, dont worry about gc.

Prices for everthing will be MUCH! higher.

In other words, will make the game unplayable.

Oh, how I love prophets like you that know for sure how everything will change.

I love you too :hehe:

@Agis29, mate, it is very possible, I work like that :). I have 2 clients running on small reso, with main I train double fluff spawn, with other I harv. Its pretty easy, cause I can see the fluff spawning. (is closed spawn tho).

With new client its a lot harder tho.

Edited by Manderijn

Voted No.

After this _everybody_ would become anti-social. And there would be a great advantage to those with multiple computers or IRL funding for multiple monitors. It would also give a great incentive for people to attempt cheating with scripting; and I'd also think make it harder to detect this scripting activity.

I voted yes but only because my husband and I both play and I'm half afraid to be in the same map as him for fear we get hit up for multiplaying. We have been questioned by mods about this already.

I know a mod is going to pipe up and say there is more to it than this, but this is how my wife, daughter, and I have handled this.

Shortly after we first started we had a LAN party at hour house. Several friends started playing EL and we had a lot of same IP trading. Once the mods questioned us we explained the situation and that we had these parties from time to time. We've since relocated but still have my daughter, my wife, and I playing from the same IP address with numerous trades among ourselves without question or complaint from the mods that I've seen.

In short, be honest with the mods. Tell them up front if you can.

the only good thing i can see coming out of this is that the mods of EL (whom we all love so much) would get a little bit more time to actually play the game. i guess in a way it would be good for people b/c they could train their skills faster.

big downsides

it would change the comunity of the game alot, hard to meet new people if the character next to you at the mine is all ways an empty drone (player not looking at character window)

people complain about not enough spawns already, imagine if those same people never had to go mine anything cuz they had an alt to do it, they would never leave the spawns and clog them up even more

Entropy, you are always talking of how there are too many items and to much GC in the game, you made some things use a sword to maine in order to get rid of the excess items in the game, and you have put in some things partially as a money sink (schools are partially for money sink) allowing this will add items to the game faster and add gc to the game faster (both of which I, and it seems yourself, veiw as a bad thing)

the market economy is almost laughable right now with some items, most the items are to plentiful and dont even sell when you are losing money (cost of ing) prices of things would drop even more than they have already.

another way the market could go is a complete standstill, noone would buy ores and minerals anymore since they could have an alt or 2 gathering all the ores and minerals they need while they are doing other things (i know running my alt and creating another (or useing a friends old one that he never plays anymore) would really help me out and keep me from buying things from almost anyone.

Entropy, i believe (correct me if im wrong) that Yeti's, dragons, giants, cockatrices and suche were added to EL to be a way to get people to work together and help eachother (thats a great goal i wish it was more feasible in the fighting area) this, while it wouldnt effect fighting much would bring the cooperation in other skills down to a miniscule number.

after all that if your still reading i like that things are being thought about but i believe that that is one rule that should not be changed. i love the comunity of EL more than anything and thats what im affraid will suffer the most from this (as stated in a post quoted by Roja) thank you for such a great game that i have grown to love 100% over my 1 year and 4 months being here.

Happy_G

GM of THC

@Happy_G Lol. Get a fucking clue before you post.

The gold amount in the game is not too high at all. It used to be a little high a while ago, until I took some measures.

You also incorrectly assume that more chars would mean more items in the game. As if only those chars only put items in the game, and not take out as well.

Entropy, i believe (correct me if im wrong) that Yeti's, dragons, giants, cockatrices and suche were added to EL to be a way to get people to work together and help eachother (thats a great goal i wish it was more feasible in the fighting area) this, while it wouldnt effect fighting much would bring the cooperation in other skills down to a miniscule number.

Yeah, good point. I can see someone making a few n00b accounts, train or rabbits for a day and then go kill the dragon..

after all that if your still reading i like that things are being thought about but i believe that that is one rule that should not be changed. i love the comunity of EL more than anything and thats what im affraid will suffer the most from this (as stated in a post quoted by Roja) thank you for such a great game that i have grown to love 100% over my 1 year and 4 months being here.

Then how about showing some respect in my ability to make the right decisions, and appreciate the fact that the economy is going pretty well?

Then how about showing some respect in my ability to make the right decisions, and appreciate the fact that the economy is going pretty well?

I'd have to agree with that, I follow the Market alot, and know what/when and who to sell stuff too, making some nice profits.. But thats not the topic.

As for the situation on Multi.. I don't see why this would make SO much difference? I know alot of people have 2+ accounts, all this means is people will be able to trade between them?

As for the person who pointed out selling stuff to Trik, you can make ALOT more gc on market with those items.. And whatelse do Anti people want? Some books? Nothing big.. Everything that can be sold to the NPC can be sold on Market for a greater price, thus meaning people wouldn't have a non-antisocial account as it wouldn't rally benifit them, and, making gc? people will still need to pay attention to both screens, with eye candy and other updates, this will be hard to run even on the fastest PCs..

I really don't se what you guys are saying no for.. :)

Oh well, lol.

i was using fighting as an example, as i said this wouldnt effect the fighting end of things as much. those creatures were added to get people to fight together more since fighting was pretty much a solo skill. the othere skills can and do require help from others at times (such as hiring people to mine for you) if this were to be made legal then alot of people would have alts mine and never have to buy minerals and ores again eliminating some (but not all) of the team play

and more characters mining to get more ing for the main to create more items would be adding more items to the game and not taking them out since all the acount would do is mine.

as far as the GC i know you took some measures to get rid of gc and i just didnt want you to have to do it again b/c of more people at the lupines.

those items were just concerns of mine, not 100% positive that it would do so.

as far as the economy yes it is doing pretty well at the moment, it is much better than it has been at other times.

and finaly i know you will make the right decision that is best for the game, you have done it many times even under direct and full oposition from the majority of the comunity (vials being one example)

im afraid some of what i said was not taken how i meant it and i apologize for that, i might not have worded it quite right and i hope this post clarified any/all of it.

thank you

Happy_G

- way more alts (who are just played in the background to harv/mule) would affect the social aspects of a multiplayer game, because between all the alts, finding the actual player is like looking for a needle in a haystack

- without being able to explain exactly why I think this, I'm pretty sure the complete atmosphere of the game would change a lot. Different types of players, I don't know. And I think it's a quite commonly accepted opinion that the community is the strength of EL - which would change a LOT.

These are some very good, and different, points you brought up Molime.

Think Molime hit the nail on the head there and shares the same fears i have if this happens.

People might disagree and they might not like it, but there are better online games out there, games with better graphics,monsters,characters etc.. but what imho lifts EL above all them is the community. Ent and Roja have made this game a place where players can come to talk to freinds and not even bother to play the game if thats what they want( some days i spend hours just chatting and not even Training),they have created the best online community there is and hate to say it but i think a move like this would ruin it.

A move like this would imo drive the community further apart . hey who needs to talk to a harver or alchemist when you have made an alt to do it and think more moves should be made to bring the community together not drive it apart.

And for ppl who dont think this will ruin the economy i think you are mistaken. what is to stop someone making multiply alts training them up ( which doesnt take long) and then having them sit harving/selling titanium all day.

Yes it might be hard to train a/d and harv etc at the same time but people wouldnt .they would a/d train there main char then if they needed money , sign out then log on with there harving alts .

Ent might have good reasons for maybe wanting to implement this but i for one hope he thinks of the community aspect of the game he created above all else

my 2 peneth

Ok for the people who are saying they dont want because it will be easier to fight things how would u run 2 clients at same time and kill something on which u must restore on every few seconds? Also selling an item to a npc will be what some spare change who really cares. Also how will it make the game easier just limit the amount of alts u can have. True u can make a alt harv silver/iron and the like but u will be there for a long time with only 5 harv so plz tell me how it will make game easier.

I'll admit I'm a little conflicted about this issue, so here are my list of pros and cons that I can think of right now.

Pros:

1.) Families/legitimate groups of different people can play together without a problem.

2.) I've always had a gut feeling that it should be OK for people to legitimately trade with two accounts of their own. For example, if I had a manufacturing character and my fighting character paid the manu character fair prices. So basically, I would level two characters and treat them as if they were independent. However, I am fully aware that if multiplaying were allowed, this is not how it would be used by a lot, if not the majority, of players.

Cons:

1.) What molime said.

2.) I can't help but think that creating alts to get around limitations of one character in a way not consistent with playing two accounts as if they were separate players is somehow cheating. I really fear that this will lead to a community like thatothergame.

3.) I'd hate to see EL turn into a game where "grinding" is standard gameplay.

Okay, I guess cons 2 and 3 are basically the same as 1, but I just wanted to expand a little.

Yeah, this change would relieve pressure and duties on mods etc, but...well...I just am really afraid that it will change EL for the worst. I could be wrong. It might turn out fine. But I just have a feeling that the type of people I have always been glad don't play EL will start playing. I am worried that it will change EL's wonderful community for the worst.

So I voted no.

Ok for the people who are saying they dont want because it will be easier to fight things how would u run 2 clients at same time and kill something on which u must restore on every few seconds? Also selling an item to a npc will be what some spare change who really cares. Also how will it make the game easier just limit the amount of alts u can have. True u can make a alt harv silver/iron and the like but u will be there for a long time with only 5 harv so plz tell me how it will make game easier.

you can play with 2 clients open by having 2 computers beside each other, or have 2 screens in span mode.

i have 2 clients running all the time on my one laptop, small size so i can see parts and its really easy for my alt to harvest for himself while i train A/D, i have trained them both in a/d at the same time b4 (different monsters, different continents) its a little tricky but can be done.

I voted a resounding NO, for many of the reasons already outlined in this thread.

As for the players who voted "Yes", I wonder if the results are skewed by the existence of two sub-groups --

1) players who wish to have harvesting/muling alts to earn gc for a main character

or

2) players who wish to be able to more easily "legitimately" trade with family members and friends without fear of trouble.

Maybe a better mechanism of allowing legitimate same-IP trades is needed. However, I don't think giving the go-ahead to limitless mules would serve any redeeming purpose.

The community will be ruined and the economy will be ruined. We hear something like that for almost every big change. :(( You say that everyone will be able to make alts and do everything for themselves and that massive items will go into the game and massive gold coins too.

If someone is rich enough in RL to have a computer that will run 5+ alts to harvest ore with while still running their main character or just do the harvesting while their main is off then why not just pay for the gold coin and save massive amounts of time. There is no way I would personally trade that kind of time for gold coins when I could just buy them if I had the kind of money it takes to run 5 alts at once. If you can have 2 alts harvesting titanium at once you are doing good and you can make some more money but you cannot have your main on and focus on them while doing it. Yes, some people will sacrifice time on their mains to harvest with multiple characters but I am betting that most will never run more than 1 alt with their main and you know if you are taking the time to level a character enough to be useful then you deserve the rewards.

The community will be ruined??? If you are part of this wonderful community and you are willing to sacrifice your part in it just because you can use alts to help yourself out please raise your hand! Have some faith people. If the people around you would rather run an alt than interact with their friends and others then they were not part of the community to begin with in the first place. I live with Icy and we forum PMed Entropy to say we would be doing same IP trades. No problems for us so far. I think it would be great to give the mods a break and let them spend more time doing things that really help the game and things they want to be doing.

There are players from other games who might migrate to EL but there is no way that they are going to fall down on EL like locusts and overwhelm our community with little worker bees. They would have to have powerful enough computers to do that and they could just spend the money they would normally pay for monthly game fees on buying gold coins instead. The number of people who could or would massively character spam the game is a very short list. Allowing families large and small to breath easy and letting people who like playing the game mostly on their own all be happy is a good idea.

To the folks who think previous bans for multiplay would be unfair because the rules changed... get a freaking life!!! The people who did it when it was illegal knew what would happen and did it anyway. They got exactly what they deserved and they still deserve it and they will still deserve it if multiplay becomes legal. You cannot complain someone got in trouble for breaking a rule just because the rule changes. That is situational ethics and it is abominable. The people who broke the rules made the mods work harder and had an advantage others did not and making multiplay legal now does not change how it was then when they did it illegally.

If fear rules your life then you are already dead. Give our community and developers both some credit. Have some faith in yourself, each other and the people in charge too. If there are better games with better everything except for the community why would anyone drop all of that to come here and spend all of their time running multiple workers on EL to feed one main character. If there are more items in game for us to use we will use them. If we level faster we will use more equipment faster and if Entropy needs to make an adjustment he will.

Give this idea a chance, it is after all just a rule change. The rule can be changed right back if there is a major problem and everyone will just have to be happy with what they got out of the trial run. I believe in the community and I believe in the developers as well. No harm will be done if this does not work and we have to change back. :) Thanks for reading.

TirunCollimdus

PS People can already AFK harvest for money and if they want more money all they have to do is add more time to their EL schedule so they don't lose any time from doing their normal routine. Give people who don't have much time to play, families and people who want to play with less interaction have a break. I don't think forcing people to interact has worked well and I don't think it ever will. The community is not what it is because of the rules it is what is because of the people. :P

Edited by TirunCollimdus

If someone is rich enough in RL to have a computer that will run 5+ alts to harvest ore with while still running their main character or just do the harvesting while their main is off then why not just pay for the gold coin and save massive amounts of time. There is no way I would personally trade that kind of time for gold coins when I could just buy them if I had the kind of money it takes to run 5 alts at once.

You mean like this? http://www.corpusopis.com/mysetup.jpg

PS. I got the pr0 setup huh ?? :)

If someone is rich enough in RL to have a computer that will run 5+ alts to harvest ore with while still running their main character or just do the harvesting while their main is off then why not just pay for the gold coin and save massive amounts of time. There is no way I would personally trade that kind of time for gold coins when I could just buy them if I had the kind of money it takes to run 5 alts at once.

PS. I got the pr0 setup huh ?? :)

wow :P:(

PS. I got the pr0 setup huh ?? :P

Yah thats a good setup, i got my main computer (the hulk) connected to a LCD screen and cloned onto my tv, plus my server/second computer (steven the sock-o-matic server) running el also.

p.s: sorry if this is a little off topic :)

Well, I voted yes. Not because I want to (one dwarf is enough trouble)! I don't see how people can complain that they would be disadvantaged if others are doing it. What would be stopping you from doing it if it was legal.

I understand that some people don't have enough grunt to drive two el clients but then they are no more in a worse position from those that get a "so called" advantage from RL$

It would have some benefits - like a true character that can act as a storage character for a guild. Although this will hurt ent's guild storage bot policy.

I look at the bans forum and I feel sorry for Aislinn - it seems she does little else but deal with these cases. It must become pretty demoralising after a while with people moaning about this and that

Antisocial can be easily circumvented with this yes - but it is easy to circumvent with a friend anyway and again why are you more disadvantaged as you can just as easily take anti on your main and create another character like others.

If this is allowed what would be nice would be the possibility to have a split screen inthe EL client to run another character although this is likely to be a huge change for the client code.

Would this change detract from the multiplayer aspects - yes, but only by the anti social people (not those with anti perk) who probably don't interact that much anyway.

So I voted yes - not because I want it or game play reasons, but for practicality reasons. Rule 5 and its intent is almost impossible to fully police or understand (because we have to read between the lines to see if we fall into the intent and that is subjective). Over the years we have had many threads clarifying the intent in this aspect and that process and all these threads have been hotly debated.

My two cents - will be right sometimes - profetic others - but mostly completely insane.

Edited by Flinto

What if we could rent ants or alts and pay to an npc or to learner or to the el shop (for a month) lets say 20k or 5$ per month?The ants (or the alts) can have a limit to their carry cappacity (300 emu). 1 ant per player with a small emu wont bring the end of the world..

Edited by agis29

By the way, the anti socials players would still have a dissadvantage, because you needs to take your alt where you want to buy/sell stuff, and then need both the chars at the same place to trade, etc.

As someone already mentioned, you can do that with a friend/guildie.

And it is my opinion that, unless if you macro, it is very hard to level two characters at once (that is, someone that focuses on one character will have a more pro char than someone that focuses on multiple chars).