Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ttlanhil

client based warmings before the new hour/dusk/dawn/day?

See details below  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Before new hour:

• Not at all
    • Abstain (only voting on other sections)
    • 1 min
    • 2 min
    • 5 min
  2. 2. Before Dusk/Dawn

• Not at all
    • 1 min
    • 2 min
    • 5 min
  3. 3. Before new Day

• Not at all
    • 1 min
    • 2 min
    • 5 min
    • 10 min
    • 15 min

---------

ed: The poll part is over now, people can stop voting because it'll be ignored :confused:

---------

Some bots already announce the new hour, and such... I imagine a lot of people would be interested in getting a warning before the new harvest hour, etc.

the dusk/dawn probably won't be of interest to as many people, but it does make a difference to how far away you can see critters, so still of interest to a number of people

and warning for a potential new #day should be obvious

Now, you'll be able to turn the warnings off in the options window, so don't vote no just because it might get annoying

if you want the same for new hour and new day, vote the same on both... if the concensus is for it to be the same or close, then there'll be just the one. if, on the other hand, people want 15min before new day and 1min before new hour, there'll be two

if you're not sure about some detail, ask first and vote when you get the answer :)

---------

ed: The poll part is over now, people can stop voting because it'll be ignored :icon13:

---------

Edited by ttlanhil

I voted for 1 min before new hour, but I actually want it ON the new hour. I don't a need warning, just the reminder.

I voted for 1 min before new hour, but I actually want it ON the new hour. I don't a need warning, just the reminder.

I abstained on the hour vote as I too would like the message on the hour.

I also voted for 1 min before dawn/dusk as this would give time for players with low def levels to beam out of the Whitestone map before the gargoyles became active.

For the new day warning I voted for 5 min before the new day starts for purely personal reasons :icon13:

BTW nice idea to have the warnings able to be turned off in the settings window :confused:

yeah, about 20 sec after I posted I thought "D'oh! need a at-the-time option"... depending on what other people say and vote, it may end up on the new hour

"Client based warmings"

... sound dangerous ...

I simply do not need dragon's breath scorching my nether parts...

as to 1,3,5 min warnings (if warnings were intended ...)

... are unnecessary ... the daily update is enough to ... warn anyone where they are ... hourly notice ... if necessary ... but really don't care either way.

Edited by Ikaris

Just make them adjustable, with an option to disable each particular warning, and let everyone just set their own preferences.

I abstained on the hour vote as I too would like the message on the hour.

I also voted for 1 min before dawn/dusk as this would give time for players with low def levels to beam out of the Whitestone map before the gargoyles became active.

For the new day warning I voted for 5 min before the new day starts for purely personal reasons :icon13:

BTW nice idea to have the warnings able to be turned off in the settings window :confused:

i completely agree with this,

Some bots announce the new hour already but on new day would be cool and for newbie's in WS they could beam out indeed (/me remembers running into a garg wich wassent pleasant at the time :( )

but as entropy sais, just make it adjustable and every one should be happy :)

Just make them adjustable, with an option to disable each particular warning, and let everyone just set their own preferences.

Yes, I think that's the best idea.

Voted 1 minute before, but like bck id prefer on the hour.

Would it be possible to implement a "You earned xxxx xp this hour" feature?

I would love to see that (perhaps as option) in the client :)

I'm not really for the "warning" part, I find it unessary. But an idea more like Arkoren, where it states the exp that particular hour is great, and after 1 day it could say how much you got on that day (assuming you haven't logged out or are too lazy to check your session counter...).

But warnings/reminders when there allready is a clock and you have 1 hour to figure out that a new hour has started... I'm not supporting.

But I guess one thing could be acceptable and a good change, at day change, even if there isn't a special day, maybe there can be a "Day starts: Ordinary day" or something like that?

Edited by Beaverhunter

I voted for 5 minutes before, but I'd prefer a warning about 10 minutes earlier. Only then I may not "waste" the harvesting experience hour.

So Entropy's idea is the best.

Regards

Chryzopraz

I vote for this one :)

I voted for 5 minute warnings before all of the above.

I also would like the new hour announced ON the hour. In addition to that, is it possible to add a setting where it would post (on the actual hour announcement) one's local date and time?

the thing about making it adjustable is that you're adding three checkboxes and three scrollers to the options window (to turn on/off for each as well as the time, you can't use 0 for off since that'd be on the new hour)

if there's a range of interest in the different times, then that's probably the best option, but I figured if there was a general consensus on how long the delays should be, then no need to make them all individually set

however, given the ranges that have been voted for so far, there is a range in when people seem to want it, and because there does seem to be interest in this from a number of players, I'll add it as individually configurable unless the poll results change drastically soon

adding date and time is easy enough, but I am curious how much help this would be... and whether the goal would be better suited by the suggestion a while back of a timestamp in front of every chat message (depends what the goal is, of course)

and as for the XP per hour/day, I personally don't like that, and I imagine that many of the people who aren't power-leveling wouldn't be that interested either (if they are, well, counters is close by. the ability to reset the session counters on demand means they can be used for whatever time period you like, not just the hour, so it can be far more accurate)

adding date and time is easy enough, but I am curious how much help this would be... and whether the goal would be better suited by the suggestion a while back of a timestamp in front of every chat message (depends what the goal is, of course)

Well the goal is just a reference point both ingame and rl time in my logs and when i scroll back in f1 ingame. I would be just as happy with the timestamp solution, as long as it included the date too, but unless i'm missing something, that didn't happen.

no, the timestamp in console patch is still open, I was curious about whether that had the same goals (which it does)

everything in your chat_log.txt should have a (RL) timestamp at the start of the line; although you'll have to scroll back to when the client started to get the date and timezone (adding the date to the stamp did come up before, but the general decision was that making the logs 10% larger when many people won't look at the date (heck, many people don't even know there is a chat_log.txt, let alone where to find it))

adding the RL time to the new-hour message could be done, however I'm not so sure about the date... I can't imagine many people having the client open long enough that they don't know what date the given time is from (especially given the wrap-around when the old messages flicker on the screen as we reuse old message slots. after about 8-12 hours of play you start to lose old messages anyway), so I assume this is only for the logs.

As such, I think I'd rather that it was only in the logs, perhaps every hour the date/time/timezone could be stamped into the log

hmm. I think I've talked myself into it :)

unless there's objections, I'll add an hourly stamp to the logs themselves (so you can check the date a lot easier, without adding to every single line) and include the RL time in the time-warnings (or make that a 7th option in ctrl+o ... perhaps I could use -1 to give no warning, but that's probably non-obvious to people who aren't programmers)

unless there's objections, I'll add an hourly stamp to the logs themselves (so you can check the date a lot easier, without adding to every single line) and include the RL time in the time-warnings (or make that a 7th option in ctrl+o ... perhaps I could use -1 to give no warning, but that's probably non-obvious to people who aren't programmers)

This would be perfect, thank you VERY much :)

Before new hour:

Not very necessary for me, I'm not quite the harvester or anything. But I guess a nice option for other people.

Before dusk/dawn:

Your whole screen changes to a darker or lighter color, not very useful imo. You can clearly see when this occurs.

Before new day:

Pretty useful, would like this at 1 minute before the day change. I actually take off my NMT these days if its raining on my map and we're going to a new day.

-Blee

In addition to that, is it possible to add a setting where it would post (on the actual hour announcement) one's local date and time?

To anyone that can't wait for this feature to be included in the client, you can get it now by talking to Trinitybot. She can PM you your local time every 15 minutes to once a day depending on what you would like.

If you are interested, feel free to PM her with "notify add <tz> 4" (where <tz> is the number of your timezone -12 to 12) and she will happily PM you every hour, on the hour.

PM her with "help notify" for more information, or feel free to PM me via the forums.

(Aisy, yes, I know you are already signed up)

/edit: Provided more information

Edited by Torg

heh, this started because I asked ent to be able to have vakana send messages like that to people... he said in the client instead (save on bandwidth and all)

perhaps I could use -1 to give no warning, but that's probably non-obvious to people who aren't programmers)

You can do it that way and put some explaining text that displays on hover, no?

perhaps I could use -1 to give no warning, but that's probably non-obvious to people who aren't programmers)
You can do it that way and put some explaining text that displays on hover, no?
yes, but even planning to do like that, it's not as obvious as a checkbox and scroller.

oh well, I guess I'll use that to start with, and change to using a checkbox if it causes confusion

ed: to be clear... the poll part is over now, people can stop voting because it'll be ignored :)

Edited by ttlanhil

Could we make it so the digital clock also shows seconds as well as hours and mins? I know this is slightly off topic but i would LOVE this as i like to know every minute change with a few seconds warning - yep i use a lot of potions where effects run out and clicking on clock gets a pain! Hope this is really something we can include in the next update with minimal of effort :)

Thanks

Could we make it so the digital clock also shows seconds as well as hours and mins?
patience, young padawan :)

there are a number of things like this that will be looked at in time (I already have the code for the seconds on the digital clock... there are some minor bugs, like it being wrong for up to a minute when you log on, and changes in #ping meaning it can jump, but I hope we can go through a bunch of the patches we have and include them)

heh, this started because I asked ent to be able to have vakana send messages like that to people... he said in the client instead (save on bandwidth and all)

lol, oops!

I added that part to Trin while I was moderating to get timestamps into my logs for exactly the same reason as Aisy. There was (and still is) pretty much only part of the mod team signed up so the bandwidth isn't excessive (yet).

I agree its a much better idea to have it in the client and eagerly await its implementation. :-)