Eternal Lands Official Forums
plainlofa

This is really annoying....

Ok now outlaws is a place where people report scammers, bjers ect..but in the rules it says that scamming and bjing is perfectly legal. So why should these people be put on the spot for playing the game? It just gets really annoying seeing how many people report bagjumpers it might as well be against the rules, if it isn't I do not see how mods continue to allow these types of posts in the outlaws. The only reasonable posts I would not mind are those of hackers which is against the rules. Now several times in the game a message pops up saying once an item is in a bag is no longer belonging to anyone, so it is up for grabs and you can expect to lose it. This makes the game seem sort of hypocritical becuase you say it is allowed yet you people complain and shun others when it is actually done? I dunno I for one have never scammed, I took a DB but it's legal and I have never hacked. I dunno it just doesn't seem fair to those who play the game as it is ment to be played.

~Plain

If some one hacks an account and you have proof it belongs in Abuse not outlaws. Outlaws is to post about people who haven't broken the rules but wish to warn other players about said player and their behavior, and if you dont like seeing the outlaws part of the forums, why do u keep going to it?

If some one hacks an account and you have proof it belongs in Abuse not outlaws. Outlaws is to post about people who haven't broken the rules but wish to warn other players about said player and their behavior, and if you dont like seeing the outlaws part of the forums, why do u keep going to it?

Why would you need to warn others of players behavior if it is not against the rules to do the things most people post about? All this does is cuases other players to look down upon those who play the game correctly. And it is hard to miss the forums seeing as it is talked about ingame as well and there is a new outlaw every single day...

~Plain

Why would you need to warn others of players behavior if it is not against the rules to do the things most people post about? All this does is cuases other players to look down upon those who play the game correctly. And it is hard to miss the forums seeing as it is talked about ingame as well and there is a new outlaw every single day...

~Plain

If there was some one going around scamming items of players, how ever they did it, and they scammed you, would you be either upset that it happened to you or possibly even be upset because no one else warned you about said scam. This is a part of the forums, and it always has been. No one is forcing you to look at it, just ignore it. I personally would like to know if some one bag jumps anyone, so i know not to make a bag around them, and i like knowing what the currents scams are.

Why would you need to warn others of players behavior if it is not against the rules to do the things most people post about?

There's a difference between being legal (within the strict rules) and being socially or culturally acceptable. Just because something is legal does not mean that the majority of the people consider it acceptable behavior. So while there's no rule against bag-jumping and scamming (which are basically both a form of theft) most people in the game don't like it and therefore appreciate warnings about people or guilds who engage in such behavior.

As a supportive counter-example, I have yet to see anyone get reported in outlaws for returning someone's death-bag even though such behaviour could be considered in violation of the rules which imply they could/should keep it.

Of course there are many examples from real life of both sides: legal things that people don't like (like tax laws), and illegal things that everyone does anyway (like speeding while driving).

this seems to come up a lot... I'll try to make it clear.

There are game rules. You will follow them, or mods take action.

There are player/community rules. If you don't follow them, you face repercussions from players (such as being PKed on sight, no trade, etc)

There is some overlap (many players will dislike cheaters), but the two are separate.

The first is for #abuse and the abuse forums.

The second is for the outlaws forums

The first is to keep the game running fairly and smoothly

The second is the product of a healthy, helpful community spirit

Quickest example i could think of..

There are liars in real life.. not against the law but it's still disliked. Don't you go around telling people that he/she is a liar so that they can be careful and not get mistreated?

Same in EL, there are liars(bagjumpers / scammers) , which are legal under the rules but most of the community doesn't like them. So they post here as a warning for others.

Hope that can make things clear.

If you want to bagjump thats all right, just expect to be treated worse by others for it. What's wrong with us deciding who we consider an a**hole, and who isn't? Free speech and all that.

If it is legal to post stuff you sell or want to buy on the market channel, why is there a Marketplace forum?

Lol, i was about to say the same thing !

Just because you can do something, doesn't necessarily mean you should do it.

Like others said, the Outlaws forum is to warn other players of people who break the *community* rules. If you don't want to be posted there, don't do anything that would make someone want to post you there. Yes, being posted in Outlaws causes other players to look down on you...but that's the whole point.

Like I said if it is legal then why should others be looked down upon, if people care so much about scammers, and bagjumpers why not just make it against the rules? I dunno maybe you guys understand the point of that forum but I don't, just my opinion I think the game is hypocritical in that sense, not saying this to try to change everyone's mind just saying what I think.

~Plain

It isn't against the rules, will never be against the rules. Still we dislike the vulturing around group bags, dislike DB thieves in storage, dislike the people who sit on a bag and make it poof just for fun. What exactly is hypocrite about disliking certain behaviour? You as a big time harvester should see the reason better than most of us...

it is against the rules. community rules.

the game rules are to prevent things like cheating. the sort of thing you can't really do in the real world. the game rules give us a world where we can add our own community rules, in a similar fashion to the laws IRL. stuff like theft, murder, etc (though suitably altered to fit with EL, where death isn't permenant)

things like spamming and swearing and harassment need to be under game rules, but other than that, the social aspect being left up the the players gives us more options for community building

Making bajumping illegal isnt a viable option plainlofa, the mods have enough to do and investigating scams/jumping is not only time consuming but in many cases it is almost impossible to get hold of the unmistakable proofs that they would require in order to act, unlike the breaking of official game rules.

As for the Outlaws section, although it has been mentioned that its a useful source of info for those who wish to ensure the person next to them isnt likely to jump their bag or scam them in a trade, it is ALSO a useful source of information for the guild leaders and ranked officers to ensure they arent recruiting someone whose actions may harm the guilds reputation in the eyes of the community.

I believe this is the most beneficial use of Outlaws, and no doubt many guilds search for a players name before taking them in.

As for the Outlaws section, although it has been mentioned that its a useful source of info for those who wish to ensure the person next to them isnt likely to jump their bag or scam them in a trade, it is ALSO a useful source of information for the guild leaders and ranked officers to ensure they arent recruiting someone whose actions may harm the guilds reputation in the eyes of the community.

Indeed.

I personaly wouldnt want a bag jumper in my guild, not because it is against the rules, but because it is against the basic ettiquette I follow when playing EL, like not stealing someones spawn etc.

At the end of the day, bag jumping is NOT a nice thing to do, I have been lucky enough to have a few people sit on bags for me when I die, and those people are the sort of people I want to play EL with. I was bagjumped on my first day playing EL (my own fault, attacked a puma when I was n00b) and someone took my stuff. Not against the game rules, but as a new person really cheesed me off.

If you died would you like it if someone helped you out and saved your bag? I think everyone would awnser yes.

Edited by Robb

Like I said if it is legal then why should others be looked down upon, if people care so much about scammers, and bagjumpers why not just make it against the rules? I dunno maybe you guys understand the point of that forum but I don't, just my opinion I think the game is hypocritical in that sense, not saying this to try to change everyone's mind just saying what I think.

~Plain

Where´s the hypocrisis? in players trying to warn other about unliked behavior?

its no hyprocrisis at all... the comunity is free to warn theys fellows about disliked persons

Is the hypocrisis is about the fact that its legal to be a scammer or bagjumper? i dont see any problem on that too... the rules are to avoyd ppl to have advantage on cheating or macroing and no one can do nothing about this... you are able to avoyd in game scamming and bagjumping not giving the oportunity to someone do it against you, its possible in game.

theres no hypocrisis at all. it follows the basis of humanity in the comunity and dont allow ppl to have any advantage on something the comunity cant control itself.

Perfection is too much but the system in EL is pretty close to it

*the edition was to insert the coments after quoting*

Edited by Tico

Well, do like I do - I do not read outlaws discussion group, because it is 98% bull**** .