Eternal Lands Official Forums

Been on test server couple of times.

All the times I crashed while fighting. The longest time I was able to fight was about ~10 seconds.

Walking maps, hasnt let m crash ever. Crashing wasnt especially while there were special effects.

It happend with pk in KF, on fluff in Imbro.

Specs: AMD 2200+

Windows XP

GF 4200TI

1024 MB RAM?

Dunno much about debugging, just thought no one said something like this, so I post.

Errorlol doesnt give anything....

If I can help, let me know...

I think we need an RC3 for people experiencing the old crash. It may well fix the blackness as well.

I want the RC3 to be the same as the update itself, so people cna both predownload the update and test, and if there are no problems they won't have to download stuff again.

Ok, i dont feel like reading this whole thread again, but im sure, i read this somewhere (and i cant search for "bag")

(using CVS client from yesterday with KarenRei's bugfix)

I killed 2 ogres in a row, so there were 2 bags to pick up.

I clicked on the bag of ogre #2 to open it, the one i was standing on. The char moved to the bag of ogre #1 and opens it instead of the bag of ogre #2.

Looks somehow strange for me..

Piper

Yes, Alia reported that too. Can you reproduce it?

BTW, can someone implement a quick client debug feature, that does the following two things:

1. Lists all the bags with their x, y and object ID.

2. Opens the bag you stand on by actually looking in the bags list and getting the ID of the bag, rather than pick it up with the mouse.

I want to see if the bug is with the client or with the server.

Let's see.

* Happens only at night

* Happens only in certain places

* Scene is being rendered, but not lit

* Shadow settings are irrelevant (not that they should be used at all at night)

* Setting is outside *or* inside (so it doesn't have to do with is_dungeon).

* We're not even getting ambient light; we're getting *no* light. Only effects (both old style and new style), emissive surfaces, dimmed reflections, and screen decorations draw.

Hmm. Actually, wait a minute. Has there been a new release since my crash fix went in? There hasn't, has there? That right there could be the cause of this. If you had shadows on back when it was daytime, that problematic glEnableClientState(GL_COLOR_ARRAY) call would have been made. render_rain will disable that state, but if it hadn't rained since then, it still would be enabled.

With the state GL_COLOR_ARRAY enabled, but no glColorPointer set, it may be trying to read color data from an arbitrary point in memory and getting all black. As for why it only happens in certain places and at certain angles -- buffer overflows can be unpredictable and all.

Even if it's not that, I still suspect it's an issue with an array client state.

I did not have shadows selected.

For some unknown reason I cannot start the latest client. ( el_140_RC2.exe ) at all on this computer.

This is the fault I get .

ELstartingerrorRC2.jpg

This computer is a year old. running Windows XP, AMD Atholon 64 processor 3800+. 2.41 GHz, 1.00 GB RAM

video card is NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS.

It will start on a lower powered Intel Pentium 2.2GHz with only 512MB RAM. Video card ATI Radeon 9550.

I just know it is going to be something simple.

BTW, can someone implement a quick client debug feature, that does the following two things:

1. Lists all the bags with their x, y and object ID.

2. Opens the bag you stand on by actually looking in the bags list and getting the ID of the bag, rather than pick it up with the mouse.

I want to see if the bug is with the client or with the server.

Problem is with client, we find wrong object_under_mouse. I'll see if I can solve this problem.

Start by installing it in a NEW folder, and running it from there.

If that doesn't help, try restarting your computer, and check your memory for big programs running in the background.

For example, having Google Earth in the background gave me some crashes too, because apparently 2GB of memory is not enough for both Google Earth and EL :devlish:

This might be the source of bag problem: with NEW_E3D_FORMAT removing objects from

bbox_tree was corrupted. So after removing the bag it was still in bbox_tree and when another bag

with same object_id appeard we could get surprise :devlish:

Here is fix:

Index: elc/bbox_tree.c
===================================================================
RCS file: /cvsroot/elc/elc/bbox_tree.c,v
retrieving revision 1.42
diff -r1.42 bbox_tree.c
417a418,420
> #ifdef NEW_E3D_FORMAT
> 				if (get_3dobject_index(bbox_tree->intersect[i].items[k].ID) == ID)
> #else
418a422
> #endif
423a428,429
> 					stop--;
> 					k--;
1077a1084,1087
> #ifdef NEW_E3D_FORMAT
> 		if ((get_3dobject_index(bbox_tree->nodes[node].dynamic_objects.items[i].ID) == ID) &&
> 			(get_type_mask_from_type(bbox_tree->nodes[node].dynamic_objects.items[i].type) == type_mask))
> #else
1079a1090
> #endif

Edit: added #ifdef's

Edited by Alia

Been on test server couple of times.

All the times I crashed while fighting. The longest time I was able to fight was about ~10 seconds.

Walking maps, hasnt let m crash ever. Crashing wasnt especially while there were special effects.

It happend with pk in KF, on fluff in Imbro.

Specs: AMD 2200+

Windows XP

GF 4200TI

1024 MB RAM?

Dunno much about debugging, just thought no one said something like this, so I post.

Errorlol doesnt give anything....

If I can help, let me know...

Fought Mountain Chim also on test, crashed after 2 seconds.

My client is crashing too. Intel pentium m 1,5 Ghz, ati mobility radeon 9700.

I updated my graphics card drivers but the client is still crashing.

For some unknown reason I cannot start the latest client. ( el_140_RC2.exe ) at all on this computer.

This is the fault I get .

ELstartingerrorRC2.jpg

This computer is a year old. running Windows XP, AMD Atholon 64 processor 3800+. 2.41 GHz, 1.00 GB RAM

video card is NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS.

It will start on a lower powered Intel Pentium 2.2GHz with only 512MB RAM. Video card ATI Radeon 9550.

I just know it is going to be something simple.

Thats what I got on a much lesser computer, though I blamed my ramshackle windows 2000 (has some other problems too so i didn't bother posting it earlier).

Edited by sithicus

That is the installer. No idea why that crashes.

If you mean the el.exe is that is installed by that, then try changing:

#shadows_on= 1

to

#shadows_on= 0

in el.ini, in that folder.

Fought Mountain Chim also on test, crashed after 2 seconds.

If you disable blood under Eye Candy in options, do you still crash?

Edited by RallosZek

This might be the source of bag problem: with NEW_E3D_FORMAT removing objects from

bbox_tree was corrupted. So after removing the bag it was still in bbox_tree and when another bag

with same object_id appeard we could get surprise :devlish:

from the testing I did, it seemed to fix the problem, so it's commit-ed, thanks :icon13: (for future reference, 'diff -u' is preferred, because it gives context to help patching)

#shadows_on= 1

to

#shadows_on= 0

Well I tried a few things. The error screenie is from trying to start the client so I could play. The installer worked well and put it all in the right place, in a folder I named "Eternal Lands Eye Candy"

Even restored my computer to a few days ago..... finally went to bed to sleep on it.

Having just got up I tried putting in the 'el.ini' file from a working version of EL (after backing up the one that comes with it.) and I am now on the Test server and I have game running and the eye candy.

Later today I will compare both el.ini files and slowly get them both the same to see where the problem is. I'm no programmer and dont know the first thing about this. but this file works, but I would like to have the right one in there. (and turning shadows to 0 didnt' work :doze: )

#shadows_on= 1

to

#shadows_on= 0

Well I tried a few things. The error screenie is from trying to start the client so I could play. The installer worked well and put it all in the right place, in a folder I named "Eternal Lands Eye Candy"

Even restored my computer to a few days ago..... finally went to bed to sleep on it.

Having just got up I tried putting in the 'el.ini' file from a working version of EL (after backing up the one that comes with it.) and I am now on the Test server and I have game running and the eye candy.

Later today I will compare both el.ini files and slowly get them both the same to see where the problem is. I'm no programmer and dont know the first thing about this. but this file works, but I would like to have the right one in there. (and turning shadows to 0 didnt' work :dry: )

AAA.... :doze: after reading this I did the same and guess what it worked for me as well...

For reference, mango did further testing and it turned out to be a different manifestation of the shadow bug.

Later today I will compare both el.ini files and slowly get them both the same to see where the problem is.

AAA.... :doze: after reading this I did the same and guess what it worked for me as well...

Hmm, two major changes are the default client size and shadowmap size. If you change:

#video_mode= 6

to:

#video_mode = 4

Does that help? Otherwise, it's probably in the new settings :dry:

Edited by RallosZek

Ok, i dont feel like reading this whole thread again, but im sure, i read this somewhere (and i cant search for "bag")

(using CVS client from yesterday with KarenRei's bugfix)

I killed 2 ogres in a row, so there were 2 bags to pick up.

I clicked on the bag of ogre #2 to open it, the one i was standing on. The char moved to the bag of ogre #1 and opens it instead of the bag of ogre #2.

Looks somehow strange for me..

Piper

Yes, Alia reported that too. Can you reproduce it?

Lol, i was just going to post a "no", then it happened again :doze:

To reproduce the effect, i did this:

Go to Zirakinbar crypt (ogres still attack me, probably they will never learn anything)

Kill one ogre, then stand on its bag and wait until another one attacks you. The char moves then on the 2nd bag.

Tried to open the 2nd bag and the char moved back to the first one and opened it.

And it happend right now once in like 10 tries, so it does *NOT* happen always.

This was on the 2k server, im going now on the test server and try to reproduce it there too. (Will edit this post and add the result)

Piper

Edit: i couldnt reproduce it on the test server today, played for one hour. Will try it tomorrow again.

Edited by The_Piper

well, I had a look, but didn't see where the previous details were, so...

I think I've figured out the cause of the fighting crash... trying to do an update of an actor with a timedelta using maths that equates to 0.0f/1000.0f ... which may be 0.0f, or may even be negative (yay for floating point)

anyone who has experienced this is encouraged to update CVS and see if you still crash

(if there's much more in the way of bug fixing, we may have to have another RC soon for wide-spread testing)

ed: or not. darn ;)

Edited by ttlanhil