Eternal Lands Official Forums
ttlanhil

recolourisation of screen?

I had a little bit of a play around, and came up with this:piccy

currently, it's from a manual adjustment in the code, but it should be pretty simple to allow the server to set a texture recolouring rate as well...

any interest in this? (before anyone asks, I'm planning for after the update, don't expect to see this in the coming client)

Good job.Its very close to the real night vision.(i ve seen it in my commando training in the army).

And one detail. In real life as u watch with the night vision equipment a sudden light or flames in the night may make u blind for a couple of seconds or destroy your night vision equipment!! :P

Btw the screenshot reminds me "The Matrix" movie :)

Edited by agis29

adjusting the colours is pretty easy... dealing with brightness over a certain threshold, not so much... although a simple bright-light effect that spreads an almost-white flush around the bright object may work

currently it's done by recolouring textures, and while they have some measure of brightness, it's not the comparable to a pure grey-scale (or green-scale) brightness indication. it can look reasonably close to RL night-vision, but not exact (which isn't really needed anyway, since we use magic and not technology... but nearly all people will recognise the effect)

hmmm I think it looks ok, but as for implementing it I would argue against it.

This looks all well for like agis says night-vision goggles, but what I thought was the theme of the ones being put into the game, is that they are masks enchanted to see better at night. Which in my opinion wouldn't change the colour of the wearers view, but only enhance the wearers sight.

I'm not saying its a bad idea, just that in my opinion it doesn't suit the game.

Recolorization is useful... For night in general - currently I can't tell why actors are disappearing until I look at the clock. Perhaps a bit of a purple at night?

hmmm I think it looks ok, but as for implementing it I would argue against it.

This looks all well for like agis says night-vision goggles, but what I thought was the theme of the ones being put into the game, is that they are masks enchanted to see better at night. Which in my opinion wouldn't change the colour of the wearers view, but only enhance the wearers sight.

I'm not saying its a bad idea, just that in my opinion it doesn't suit the game.

Then you would be wrong.

I always wanted something like this, but was too busy to implement.

PM me after the update to remind me about this thing, so I can have the server send a 'wear night vision equioment' message when needed.

Recolorization is useful... For night in general - currently I can't tell why actors are disappearing until I look at the clock. Perhaps a bit of a purple at night?
for reference, the example is based on the night-textures option in -DNEW_LIGHTING, which already makes night time less colourful (which is realistic). it could be biased towards purple if needed, but I think it's okay as-is

it doesn't have to be a matter of making it green, either... there's no reason the server can't tell the client to make it go strongly grey-scale, or tint everything red, or...

this should just require 4 Uint8s from the server. red-bias, green-bias, blue-bias, grey-bias (or colour saturation, if you prefer)

a quick note, if this were used for normal in game vision during nighttime and low light situations, colours operate in the bluer frequencies, and quite often when very low light, vision is colourless (greyscale).

This would also work great for when you get poisoned by mushrooms. Except, have it cycle through random colors until it wears off ;)

Yeh i think as well this gives lots of possibities for other stuff except the night vision mask as well.

poison, night... thinking of that makes me drool a bit ;)

I hope to see some more pics how some of the stuff could look like :P