Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

City building

Heh. Come to think of it, you could Really borrow alot from guilds. The commands could be almost identical. You would need to be an owner to be a recruiter so you have to put money into the pool for that. If you are not an owner (which means you are under rank 15) then you are a surf. Everyone needs those peasant workers. Hopefully, the lords and knights won't be mean to the EL citizens though. Everyone could have a number of votes equal to their rank. Then they could use those votes to say they like/dislike a citizen or vote for or against some feature. There could be votes for sherif or whatever position too.

I would have to agree cities are cool... but I would like to know if there would actually be an advantage to them being there. The novelty of a city can only last soo long...

I also don't understand why cities can't appoint a leader like they did in the olden days. Isn't so much more spicy to have wars and revolutions and a bloody struggle in which the leader who has gathered the most people for his army becomes the mayor only to be overthrown by an even more powerful oppisition.

I just think that would be a cool way of appointing the "mayor"

The idea is that the cities will be very different than guilds, because everyone will be equal, and all the positions of authority will be voted by the citizens, and they will have a limited mandate (a few months between elections).

Cool idea.

I like the idea of cities run by a guild too, there could be both kinds of cities, limited to a guild and open for everyone.

How to do it? Ent's 2nd idea would be the most easiest and fair one IMO.

One player buys the map/area for a reasonable price, then a wooden hut with a NPC inside pops up (the architect/engeneer or whatever) close to that area.

Players can then buy a place for a building from that NPC for a price the owner of the land/area sets. 10% of the money go to the owner, 90% goes to the NPC (leave the game).

A player asks the NPC to buy a place, the owner must allow him (tell the NPC that he accepts that order).

I didnt mention the zone advisor right now, im not sure if its good or bad to split the management of a city in 2 different jobs or not. And the zone advisor will be only needed in the beginning of the city, when all places are sold, this job is useless.

When there is then a community in the city, lets elect a mayor. This can, but must not be the guy who bought the land.

Other jobs:

Commander of the guard who selects/hires players or PK bots, who maybe have the power to make players in this city PKable or bring them into a jail.

Architect, who accepts changes to buildings. Today its just a tavern, tomorrow its a fighting school (PK arena). The guy who keeps an eye on how the city develops.

Chief of market: Allows trade bots/guild NPC's in areas fo the city or not.

Chief of jail (probably an NPC) who releases ppl from jail after they finished a community job, like picking 2k flowers and giving them to the NPC.

Well, just my 2 cents :)

Piper

Guest Annatira

Wow, this opens up whole realms of ideas:

Immigration and emmigration between cities?

Penal colonies?

Elections, political parties, campaigns.....

Oh my.

May i ask, can anybody be a mayor or one in power aslong as they're voted by the vast majority? or would you need requirements?

For a while now, Learner is working at a dynamic map format, where stuff can be added and removed.

Once he finishes, I will start working at the player city building. It's unlikely that we'll have something working sooner than next year, but in order to plan better, I need some of your opinions on this subject.

.......SNIPPED....

The only problem I see with this method is that enemy players might buy land in the same city, and then cause trouble, like having stupid fights, steal from the city, etc.

.......SNIPPED.....

This first option, I would assume, that the city is PK, then it would be a matter of carefully inspecting the cities occupants to see if you would have any potential problems with another guild. If all guilds that have land transactions for that city are listable, it would be a matter of seeing who's there and buying into that city or not (like shopping for a home, you always check out the surrounding neighborhood).

If the new city is not PK, then I dont believe this would be an issue. Please let me know if I have misunderstood your intent and I will clairify. :)

By the way, if anyone is in need of a real Zoning Officer's advise, I am open to any serious questions, as this is what I do for a living in my Municipality.

Well I am not sure exactly how this will work for several reasons. First is the city going to be like a guild map, with only citizens invited? Or will it be like CEL owning Nordcarn (as an example)? And 30M is a awful lot, it will be hard to gather that much money for one person at the moment, which makes the first option more practical. Personally I think you should create an experimental city first, put Learner or Aislinn or Yourself in charge, and make the mods citizens, I am not quite sure how many mods there are, but enough for a small city certainly, and no money involved yet. Then see how things work. Then maybe put a second city on the test server, so it won't injure the EL economy if something unexpected happens.

When the cities actually come out I prefer people buy plots of land, then get a vote based on how many acres the have, or perhaps on the value of the land (IE farmland won't be worth as much as in the harbor area, or a mine perhaps), and to get rid of undesirable land owners, have a forced buyout policy :fire: , if the rest of the land owners get say 90% vote to boot somebody, they can scrape together about 80% of what he payed and buy him out (make it so the player takes a loss, to make people really not want to get bought out), or you could just let us tar and feather him :) .

You also may want to use a different currency to buy land than GC, something like "land shares" earned from governors like lord luxin or the ones in PL and DP, which currently don't have a purpose. These shares could be bought with gc, or earned by thing like providing a material to the city, or collecting bounties on a undesirable monster in the city. (Maybe even bought with $USD, to give the Evil rich IRL a unfair advantage :D ) Maybe change what earns the shares from each governor every EL month (which currently aren't used much) on a preprogrammed schedule.

Just some of my thought on it.

--Duck2

a buyout should cost more than the person initially paid, this way if its 300kgc to kick you out of town you must be really unliked (not just someones grudge), and this along with a vote of interest in you

another part of the city that would be nice could be a market area where people cannot buy property to but the "owner" of the city can have control over to put in different buildings (like pk arenas/jails/barracks to join raiding parties :) )

Would you have to be part of city?

Like, if you needed a storage for your things, would they only exist in a city?

I don't know if I'm to crazy about this idea.

If it requires for me to give up my independence, and be like everyone else, then I know that many players would be upset by that.

If anything I like the second option, however you said that you would like to keep the idea away from being like a guild.

I know that this is just an idea, but what are the other advantages to having a city other than "Hey! I'm the mayor" or "Hey! I'm someone important!"

Sure it may be nice to own your own home or land in a city, but what can you do with it? Would you be able to store things in your house? Will things like 'Security and Sneak' become a skill? like with lock picking.

Just my thoughts.

I would prefer it if you were allowed to have cities in your guild maps, with the mayor being your guild master and such.

But for this, it sounds all right, but I'm going to just be honest and say that I personally wouldn't care for it to much, sry.

I think a good system to use this in would be a search and discovery method.

Hide the maps in very selective locations that will include alot of exploration to find, such as talking to npc's, getting clues, exploring in groups, and the first player to enter the map will be greeted by the NPC there and he says something like, "welcome to my wonderous land, I plan on leaving this place though, why don't you buy it from me and create a wonderous world" or something like that.

Then the player would have to go all the way back to storage, (keeping the map secret) and then stake a claim on the land with a payment of about 500k, (with the help of others), once the 500k is paid then the npc will wait an entire EL month waiting for you to pay the full 30 mil, and during this time he will only negociate with you because you staked the claim.

Once the month is over then somebody else can pay the 500k and then the 30m if your unable to do it.

Once this happens, every player present in the map at the time becomes the first official citizens of the "city". They all will then vote on their officials and such and some may even have to volunteer for certain jobs and such. Once this happens the government of the city forms, and they can let people know about their city and accept them into it and such.

This would help keep the maps mostly private to the people that are wanted there and would add a very unique new element to the game.

Posibly make them extremly secret locations, and every once in a while joker will rarely hand out the deeds to a hidden map with hints on it and stuff for the player to go and find.

Just my idea, kind of thinking along the lines of Christopher Columbus exploring and finding the America's and claiming the land.

Edited by redsoxlovr10

i dont like any of it sorry. i know you woking hard on it.this will change the whole game. i like el the way it is.players owning towns ? what if they quit playing? why would someone go to there town? how about if you not a team player? myself i like to do my own thing on el.

This is kind of starting to sound like an early form of the game Civilizations (without the constant warfare, technology gain, and government type changing). If this were to be implemented, would other towns be constructed with the ability to declare war on another town? Also, as other people have asked, what are the benefits of being a part of a city/country? would you share a cut of the money or resources gained, or get exclusive training areas?

it should have advantages and not just for the fun

something like being Major will raise your Might(cross-atribute)

I'm pretty sure that the advantages will come depending on how much work you put into the city to create buildings and such, I'm sure that there will be taverns and such that could be useful, along with posibly some mines and maybe a wild area with monsters, but again it would probably take alot of hard work to get there.

Cool idea.

I like the idea of cities run by a guild too, there could be both kinds of cities, limited to a guild and open for everyone.

One player buys the map/area for a reasonable price, then a wooden hut with a NPC inside pops up (the architect/engeneer or whatever) close to that area.

Players can then buy a place for a building from that NPC for a price the owner of the land/area sets. 10% of the money go to the owner, 90% goes to the NPC (leave the game).

A player asks the NPC to buy a place, the owner must allow him (tell the NPC that he accepts that order).

I didnt mention the zone advisor right now, im not sure if its good or bad to split the management of a city in 2 different jobs or not. And the zone advisor will be only needed in the beginning of the city, when all places are sold, this job is useless.

When there is then a community in the city, lets elect a mayor. This can, but must not be the guy who bought the land.

Other jobs:

Commander of the guard who selects/hires players or PK bots, who maybe have the power to make players in this city PKable or bring them into a jail.

Architect, who accepts changes to buildings. Today its just a tavern, tomorrow its a fighting school (PK arena). The guy who keeps an eye on how the city develops.

Chief of jail (probably an NPC) who releases ppl from jail after they finished a community job, like picking 2k flowers and giving them to the NPC.

Piper

I agree some parts of this and some parts not.

If we think it as a public office we simply need a Mayor, a Chief of Guards(or Commander) and a Chief Justice(Judge) to prevent the abuse of the powers they got.

Mayor is in charge of city management. Decides who will build a house or another building. Does the other things The_piper described for Architect(accepts changes to buildings, keeps an eye on how the city develops). Also the treasurer(Chief of Market) of the city. Controls the city treasure. If city wants a tavern, general shop, blacksmith, storage, pk arena it will be paid from city treasure. Mayor should be elected by the citizens for 2 months(for example) Chooses a Vice Mayor to do his job while he's not available.

Chief of Guards

Other duties: Identify the criminals(bagjumpers, naughty summoners, all kinds of trouble makers) and report them to Chief Justice as suspected people of town. Elected by citizens for a certain time. Chooses a deputy to help themselves.

Chief of Justice

A suspected character will wait with limited rights (or in prison) until CJ decides if the person is guilty or not. Then decides the punisment (if possible cant enter the city, cant use city storage, make pkable) Can't decide a punishment without a Guard's report. (I have no idea how can you limit this)

In my opinion Chief Justice should be like Moderators elected by citizens for a certain time. If the Chief of Guards report something about Mayor, CJ can also punish Mayor.

In this system Mayor has the most of the power but can be removed by only a Guard's report and Judge's decision together. Guards cant be removed until new one selected but only have right to report. And CJ(Judge) cant be removed until new one selected but only decides things about players not the city and cant use the power without report. We need Judges to watch out Mayor and we need Guards to watch out Judges. We need all three together to watch out citizens.

Each city will have their own rules and own punishments. In some cities summoning high level monsters at certain places can be illegal but for others it's everyones right to summon anything. Everyone pays a certain amount of tax(1000-10000gc for a week) We still have old cities for the ones dont have or dont want to pay the money.

Some of my sugestions can be improved and some of them may need new codes (new kind of moderator-cant use powers without report). Thats all what i can think of right now.

p.s.: I didnt think all of them by myself. They're from RL and other games as well.

a buyout should cost more than the person initially paid, this way if its 300kgc to kick you out of town you must be really unliked (not just someones grudge), and this along with a vote of interest in you

I hold the opposite opinion, if the player is bought out for more than he paid, people will buy land, then be a total pain so they get bought out and get 200k in the process... The solution is to have money leave the game in a buyout, IE it takes 120% of what he paid to buy him out, and he gets 80% of what he paid back. So 40% leaves the game.

--Duck2

Cool idea.

Other jobs:

Piper

I agree some parts of this and some parts not.

If we think it as a public office we simply need a Mayor, a Chief of Guards(or Commander) and a Chief Justice(Judge) to prevent the abuse of the powers they got.

Mayor is in charge of city management. Decides who will build a house or another building. Does the other things The_piper described for Architect(accepts changes to buildings, keeps an eye on how the city develops). Also the treasurer(Chief of Market) of the city. Controls the city treasure. If city wants a tavern, general shop, blacksmith, storage, pk arena it will be paid from city treasure. Mayor should be elected by the citizens for 2 months(for example) Chooses a Vice Mayor to do his job while he's not available.

Chief of Guards

Other duties: Identify the criminals(bagjumpers, naughty summoners, all kinds of trouble makers) and report them to Chief Justice as suspected people of town. Elected by citizens for a certain time. Chooses a deputy to help themselves.

Chief of Justice

A suspected character will wait with limited rights (or in prison) until CJ decides if the person is guilty or not. Then decides the punisment (if possible cant enter the city, cant use city storage, make pkable) Can't decide a punishment without a Guard's report. (I have no idea how can you limit this)

In my opinion Chief Justice should be like Moderators elected by citizens for a certain time. If the Chief of Guards report something about Mayor, CJ can also punish Mayor.

In this system Mayor has the most of the power but can be removed by only a Guard's report and Judge's decision together. Guards cant be removed until new one selected but only have right to report. And CJ(Judge) cant be removed until new one selected but only decides things about players not the city and cant use the power without report. We need Judges to watch out Mayor and we need Guards to watch out Judges. We need all three together to watch out citizens.

Each city will have their own rules and own punishments. In some cities summoning high level monsters at certain places can be illegal but for others it's everyones right to summon anything. Everyone pays a certain amount of tax(1000-10000gc for a week) We still have old cities for the ones dont have or dont want to pay the money.

Some of my sugestions can be improved and some of them may need new codes (new kind of moderator-cant use powers without report). Thats all what i can think of right now.

p.s.: I didnt think all of them by myself. They're from RL and other games as well.

I think that these city thingy is ok, to build ure own house, to make part of a city, but i think that would be b...sh*t to go to jail.

As i think all the cities should be pk areas, and if u get the rights to be in the city to build there u will be "whitelisted", the other citisens will not be able to attack you. this way everybody can attack somebody who is there unwanted. I dont think that should be there a command #ban <player> from my city.

just some of my toughts!

Troger

This is kind of starting to sound like an early form of the game Civilizations (without the constant warfare, technology gain, and government type changing). If this were to be implemented, would other towns be constructed with the ability to declare war on another town?

Actually Civilization was one of the first games I played on a PC, so it had a huge influence of me.

Yes, the city stuff will be similar in some ways with Civilzation, as in, there will be a research tree, specialized buildings, the ability to delcare war, etc. I will not give too many details until we are closer to implementing them.

Also, as other people have asked, what are the benefits of being a part of a city/country? would you share a cut of the money or resources gained, or get exclusive training areas?

Same advantages as playing a MMORPG: nothing tangible.

And for the people that don't like the idea, that's great. No one is forcing you to participate in all this city stuff.

The addition of player designed cities will in some ways have the same social aspect as guilds. It will be a focal point bringing lots of people together for some sort of a common purpose. A guild's purpose might be PK, or specific skill development, or simply having fun. A city's purpose will (as described thus far) be the building of it and all the skills and work involved to get there.

But one of the problems that plagues guilds will also be an issue for cities: it's a big world and not everyone plays in the same time-zone. This is the reason that some guilds have switched to using a bot for guild admin since guild leadership can't be on 24/7. So how does a city operate if the leadership (mayor, city planner, CEO, whatever) isn't on? How does someone get permission to construct a home (for example) if the person in charge of approval is never on when they are?

I don't know if this is an issue with the design/implementation of the city "feature", or if it's something that would be solved at the leadership organizational level. But if there are some game restrictions (for example city leadership ranks like there are guild leadership ranks) then some consideration needs to be given to this issue so the cities can run 24 hours a day (not just when the mayor happens to be logged in).

Different time zones will not affect the city function too much, because nothing is urgent, it can wait a few more hours until the mayor comes online. The whole thing is designed not to require them online 24/7

I love this idea!! This is just the sort of thing I've been waiting to hear!

One question, along with the mayor, will there be some sort of council of government to govern the city? Afterall, that much power in on persons hands will need keeping in line. I think the idea of some sort or council will keep things fairer, after all, with power comes corruption.

Fantastic idea! Will be eagerly waiting for developments :icon13:

It seems most of people are intersted in political part of city building.

So let me say some other ideas:

1. If you are an alchemist/potioner/manuer/crafter.

It would be nice to have workshops where you can get +p% exp, or make certain items you cannot make at storage,

I doubt people who like their independence will appreciate this proposition, but making such items could be

considered as a tradeoff for joining town. And it would be possible to rent workshops if you even cannot admit that idea :icon13:

2. If you are a magician.

Some new global spells whould be nice, like protect town from acid rain or spell that heals all the citizens.

Still dont know what benefits could be given for summoners and harvesters.

Ok so it'll cost a pretty penny to buy the land, fair enough.

But how much will it cost to actually build a house? Will it be bought, like a mortgage? Rented property or your own piece of EL outright? I think the latter would be best from a players POV.

And then this begs the question....what are a advantages/functions of the houses? Can you lock your door? Will there be harvestable items inside? Maybe your very own storage chest (connected to storage, I think this would appeal to almost everyone).

So many ideas, so little time!

Any ideas?