Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ttlanhil

message when fired upon

<snip>

And if it's for PK, the player themselves have to go for whatever they're going for. An arrow is just added damage (though maybe display a "Your getting attacked by ****" message?)

<snip>

nonono. then you spoil the fun of a sniper with a really high perception and a good distance :)

if they're close enough to see easily, then who's attacking you would work. otherwise a direction (in both cases, a perception (and maybe direction facing) check could be done to see if you'd be able to tell where it came from)

<snip>

Heh, that's why I phrased it as a question. Though it would be cool if perhaps your out of range of their site and all it says is "Your being attacked from the North-west" or something. Makes better use of the compass :)

Such a message would be totally stupid and pointless.

<snip>

from what I've seen, arrows will be going pretty fast. and I'm guessing they'll also be realistic size. that means they'll be pretty hard to see coming in... and even harder to tell exactly who they came from... yes, you can look for someone with a bow, but there might be a few of them... or you might not be able to see them at all (perception, hiding behind trees/bushes, etc)

people suddenly start losing health in a PK map, without knowing why? either they assume there's a new poison area (which won't last long as it keeps moving and not always damaging people), realise they're being shot at and have to run around looking for whodunnit (not easy if you can't see the arrows and they can shoot from beyond your perception), or think there's a bug or worse at play.

now, I'm thinking arrows won't be much more visible than magic... and you get notice when someone casts a spell on you... so why not arrows as well?

people suddenly start losing health in a PK map, without knowing why? either they assume there's a new poison area (which won't last long as it keeps moving and not always damaging people), realise they're being shot at and have to run around looking for whodunnit (not easy if you can't see the arrows and they can shoot from beyond your perception), or think there's a bug or worse at play.

Don't you think they might know arrows have been implemented? :) Anyone who thinks a new poison area should reconsider his pk profession. When they are introduced people will become aware of how they work, and if they suddenly lose health they will guess the reason fairly quickly... I see no need for a message to tell you that a long pointy wooden shaft has just been introduced to your anatomy...

--Duck2

Don't you think they might know arrows have been implemented? :) Anyone who thinks a new poison area should reconsider his pk profession.
sure, realising they're being shot at, once (or maybe if) they notice the health going down is gonna shout 'arrows' to most people pretty quickly. I expect that case to be the main one
When they are introduced people will become aware of how they work, and if they suddenly lose health they will guess the reason fairly quickly... I see no need for a message to tell you that a long pointy wooden shaft has just been introduced to your anatomy...
so you also don't see a need for the messages about people casting spells on you? (based on the info available now, I don't think arrows will be that easy to see, especially if you're concentrating on something else rather than scanning the entire screen... it'll be a little more 'visable' than magic, but not much)

The arrows will be pretty visible, so unless you are in the console mode, there would be no doubt about what has caused the damage.

The arrows will be pretty visible, so unless you are in the console mode, there would be no doubt about what has caused the damage.

If u have a big perception and can see the arrow in time that means that u can click away from its way??? or it will make the damage anyway???

so you also don't see a need for the messages about people casting spells on you? (based on the info available now, I don't think arrows will be that easy to see, especially if you're concentrating on something else rather than scanning the entire screen... it'll be a little more 'visable' than magic, but not much)

True, I think magic spell messages should be removed (Recieved magic spell messages, the caster should still get a message), it would be a benifit to magic users (magic kills don't count on counters anyway, at least not the ones I have killed with magic)

Anyway, thanks for clearing this up, Entropy.

--Duck2

Alright, well in the case that they will be quite visible never mind I guess? Though I still like the direction idea, it would make some slight use of the compass.

But if it's double click action to fire an arrow will it there be a chance to move out of the arrow's way? I don't think their should be personally, once you get that second click off it should be (Oh, I'm getting hit...) Unless maybe you TPTR or use a ring?