Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Entropy

Discuss the different visibility system here

Well might be a stupid question but what exactly is it supposed to do so ppl know what they are looking for

I ask since game time is 4:22 at night and cant tell any differance. does the visibility work on surroundings or just fellow players ?

Well might be a stupid question but what exactly is it supposed to do so ppl know what they are looking for

I ask since game time is 4:22 at night and cant tell any differance. does the visibility work on surroundings or just fellow players ?

How about reading the news post?

From now on, the perception cross attribute is finally used in something: determining how far you see at night and in dark areas. The vision is asymmetric, meaning if you see someone, it doesn't mean he or she sees you. And vice-versa.

The items you wear (armor, weapons, capes) will also determine how visibile you are. For example, a full suit of armor will make you much more visible than if you don't wear anything.

Please note that this is experimental stuff so there might be some issues with it, and the visibility formula might be adjusted in the future.

Yes been there and done that and it mentions players didnt know if it was ment to be surroundings as well or can you see a tree 60ft away but not a player 2ft away.

Edit: ok playing around and realise its only players/monsters (bit disapointing) and with a basic 4 perception unless i scroll all the way out (have mine about half way) it makes no differance at all, the monsters are off screen before they poof

Edited by conavar

I noticed that if I move away from a player they won't poof. But that same player moving away from me will poof. Even going the same distance of further.

Also, at what time will be the darkest point in the game?

Edited by Aerowind

Only walked from WS cave to NC storage and back.

outside I can see people when they're close enough, looks normal for my low perception (4)

in the cave i have the feeling I can see in longer distance but probably I am wrong

also people with armor on, appear 1st :P

I noticed that if I move away from a player they won't poof. But that same player moving away from me will poof. Even going the same distance of further.

Also, at what time will be the darkest point in the game?

erm not sure this aplies here, but "It is often darkest just before dawn" - Sojourner Truth

Ferny

edit for grammar

Edited by ferngale

Well, it seems to work just fine for the way it's set up and the way that game works atm. As the main problem here I see camera not being fully "free" to control, and having a fixed camera so that the space where this visibility can be limited is the width of the screen which is not wide enough to make any sense of real distance. Yes I know you can broaden the view by perspective setting, but that's not free camera and it makes FPS go down all the time not just when you want to look far ahead.

As I said it works quite ok having all ^^ in mind, but together with a totaly free camera this can look much better and more real.

Well, I've not seen many people around but I saw some poof away at a rather short distance from me.

I think with this update, I will watch invisibility potions lower in prices and watch the pot boosters for perception go up. Thats kind of my first idea about this.

How about adding a tutorial on how to sneak around with this darkness/light/visibility thing? Ask some money to learn people how to work with it, it can prove usefull for sneaking around and snatching stuff away or avoiding PKers, or the other way around, sneak up on your targets.

-Blee

My Perception (8) seems to be enough to see monsters and people wearing nothing walking anywhere on my screen while I'm sitting in the middle of nowhere on Isla Prima.

Since I would assume Isla Prima would be the same as anywhere else, I would guess forthcoming will be other things to reduce visibility and therefor require a higher perception to see.

Kudos on finding a good use for this stat, makes me feel much better about my plans and efforts to be an all-rounder on Stats as well as Skills.

Darc0 the Insane Duck

My perception is 9.

I was wandering egratia, watching a player in full steel fighting a clops. I moved back and forth, watching the clops disappear before the player in plate. The update said that armour makes a difference in whether a playeris more or less visible, but I would humbly suggest that being a 10 foot tall one eyed club wielding big bastard should also have a bearing.

Lighted areas seem to correctly limit the effect of perception also.

I will add more to this post when I notice more :P

Edit: I moved away gradually from Someone with perception 4, in darkness, both of us unarmoured. I could take 3 more steps away after I disappeared from Her before She disappeared from me. We disappeared from each other at the same time when I wore aug and Her with no armour. She remained visible for 10 more steps away when She was in full iron.

S.

Edited by Spleenfeeder

My perception is 9.

I was wandering egratia, watching a player in full steel fighting a clops. I moved back and forth, watching the clops disappear before the player in plate. The update said that armour makes a difference in whether a playeris more or less visible, but I would humbly suggest that being a 10 foot tall one eyed club wielding big bastard should also have a bearing.

S.

You are absolutely correct.

Right now, all the monsters have a default visibility. Soon, they will have a different visibility based on size and maybe color.

Suggestions ( and proberly impossible to implement programme wise)

when the visibility systems was first discussed I thought WOW cool should be nice but thats because i was under the impression that each player would have a circular template of vision around them based on there perception score/light.. more perception/light bigger the template.. and that everything outside this area would be invisible trees,plants,ppl etc move to a town with lights your whole screen is in view but be outside at night in the forests only a small portion can be seen (size based on perception) .. maybe basic perception allows you to see to far at the moment and needs to be adjusted

My Perception (8) seems to be enough to see monsters and people wearing nothing walking anywhere on my screen while I'm sitting in the middle of nowhere on Isla Prima.

Since I would assume Isla Prima would be the same as anywhere else, I would guess forthcoming will be other things to reduce visibility and therefor require a higher perception to see.

Kudos on finding a good use for this stat, makes me feel much better about my plans and efforts to be an all-rounder on Stats as well as Skills.

Darc0 the Insane Duck

Isla prima has a lot of lights, with little area totally 'in the dark'. Other maps have much more dark areas.

And yes, items to reduce your visibility are already implemente din the game, for testing purposes. But they can't be obtained now in the game, expect them there in a few weeks. Also expect a nigh vision helmet.

Suggestions ( and proberly impossible to implement programme wise)

when the visibility systems was first discussed I thought WOW cool should be nice but thats because i was under the impression that each player would have a circular template of vision around them based on there perception score/light.. more perception/light bigger the template.. and that everything outside this area would be invisible trees,plants,ppl etc move to a town with lights your whole screen is in view but be outside at night in the forests only a small portion can be seen (size based on perception) .. maybe basic perception allows you to see to far at the moment and needs to be adjusted

You can't have that on the client, because:

1. It is difficult to implement.

2. It can be circumvented (hax0red).

3. The visibility is not contant (a radius)

You can't have that on the client, because:

1. It is difficult to implement.

2. It can be circumvented (hax0red).

3. The visibility is not contant (a radius)

Yeah I did think that might be the case ( shame really ) but I might get flamed by other players for saying this but at the moment i think basic perception score of 4 allows you to see to far

My perception is 9.

S.

You are absolutely correct.

Right now, all the monsters have a default visibility. Soon, they will have a different visibility based on size and maybe color.

Good, good. Though rabbits might want to be always visible or something. Newbies might get frustrated at night time.

Yeah I did think that might be the case ( shame really ) but I might get flamed by other players for saying this but at the moment i think basic perception score of 4 allows you to see to far

Then the models, houses, players are way too big too for that kind of proportion. Even now in darker areas even when there is light source you can see across half a screen that's just few steps wide.

As I said (and no one replied/commented on it, dunno why), skybox+free camera+bigger distances = solution for all the unreal things this new visibility system makes.

Also a suggestion, names/hp bar and maybe armor data can be withheld before the model/monster is shown to make transition before visible and unvisible zone smoother, like making one more zone between them, so you know there is someone/something but not in what condition it is.

Edited by wexy

As I said (and no one replied/commented on it, dunno why), skybox+free camera+bigger distances = solution for all the unreal things this new visibility system makes.

No one commented because what you said is something obvious, but very hard if not impossible to implement with the current engine.

I was naked in KF and it worked good, its new funny part of the game, but I can see monster fight with "nothing", so maybe I should see all players/monster in fight if I can see one.

I was naked in KF and it worked good, its new funny part of the game, but I can see monster fight with "nothing", so maybe I should see all players/monster in fight if I can see one.

It would be the same IRL, if it's dark and one guy dressed in black fights a guy dressed in white, you'd see the white guy fighting something, but not being to tell what.

Then the models, houses, players are way too big too for that kind of proportion. Even now in darker areas even when there is light source you can see across half a screen that's just few steps wide.

Also a suggestion, names/hp bar and maybe armor data can be withheld before the model/monster is shown to make transition before visible and unvisible zone smoother, like making one more zone between them, so you know there is someone/something but not in what condition it is.

Wouldnt say they are to big.. just cut down the distance before players/animals appear with basic perception.I have my screen scrolled about half way out from max and monsters are off screen before they poof, for example say my view distance is 40ft i would suggest cutting that down to half for basic perception at night in a dark wood ! ( for anyone who has ever been camping knows that even seeing 20ft at night is hard )

maybe have each perception point equate to 5ft view distance ( depending on how big a game tile is )

Good idea about the name bar etc..

Edited by conavar

I don't mean to bitch, but personally I think it looks really bad. The idea is cool and all, but

1. According to the scale, we can 100% not see people only around 20 ft away? That doesn't make sense, even at night. You should at least be able to see light particles moving in that area, even if you don't know who/what it is, you know there is something there

2. Maybe cover up the radius that you can see with fog or something. Why we can see tiny flowers, in detail on the very edge of our screen, but not see feros 5 tiles away? :P

The concept is cool, but it was not implemented right IMO