Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TirunCollimdus

May I have a clarifcation on map bugs?

I was wondering why it is that people who took the scotty died perk have to use rings or essences when caught by a map bug. I thought the point of the perk was to get people to use rings and essences during normal game play to take those things out of the economy. I use rings during normal game play to get to IP and other places in Seridia because I took the perk. I have only encountered 3 places so far that I cannot trade with someone to get out of the map bug.

I was told by Tanyia that if you have the scotty died perk and get stuck it is Learner's policy that after you have been warned and helped by the mods you will have to simply suicide and lose your stuff to get out. If you do not have a ring to get out with because you either forgot to bring a ring or you don't have one when you thought you did you are just out of luck. I would like to point out I was rather rude to Tanyia at the time because I thought it was simply the mods decision to refuse to help. I apologized later when I found out that this was not the case.

That is why I am asking why there is an extra negative side effect to taking the perk which obviously is not mentioned in the perk description and does not seem necessary to the functionality of the perk itself. Just asking why decision to make the perk even more negative was made and if it is open to reconsideration.

TirunCollimdus

The mods are not there to rescue you all the time. The first time they will rescue you because you can claim you didn't know there is a map bug in that area. But the second time you will need to rescue yourself, or if possible have a friend rescue you.

The mods are not there to rescue you all the time. The first time they will rescue you because you can claim you didn't know there is a map bug in that area. But the second time you will need to rescue yourself, or if possible have a friend rescue you.

After all, #beam me up was put in the game originally to rescue people from map bugs. People taking the Scotty Died Perk are basically saying they aren't concenred with map bugs. Plus, when we have repeat offenders getting stuck at the same place repeatedly, but they don't even bother taking a Teleport Ring with them, all that does is make life harder on the mods.

Just take a Tport ring or two with you!

Why do you think it is called a Negative Perk?

I am sorry I was not referring to repeat offerenders who get trapped continuously. I only know of three places where a friend cannot help you get out as I mentioned in my post. If you cannot get a friend to help you get out then you need to find a friend or be more careful because the areas where you can be helped by a friend should not be the mod's responsibility most of the time even on first occurrences. You have a whole list of channels to ask for help in too.

I was specifically referring to places that a friend cannot help you get out and then not on a recurring and habitual basis. I am sure that no one wants to post a list of all of the bugs that you cannot get out of even with a friend to help. I was asking about getting surprised by places you did not know have problems. If the perk was made to reduce the amount of times the mods had to rescue people because then I think a warning in game would be a good idea.

I have had the perk since it was first implemented and gotten stuck where I could not get out 1 time. I am usually pretty careful. Anyone who gets stuck repeatedly in the same place should have to suicide if they don't have a friend to help or are continuously getting stuck in places they know trap them and cannot reach anyone to trade at.

I don't need a baby sitter and I was not asking for one. I was asking about when you make a mistake or you get caught off guard by a place you did not think could trap you. The mods volunteered to help not to babysit and that is the way it should stay. Having it to where you get one shot at one place however I think is a little bit on the rough side since the game is really big and it is not possible to be perfect.

TirunColimdus

EDIT: Just reread the post by Entropy and saw that he said one rescue per location. That sounds fair to me but I was under the impression that you only got one rescue even if you did not know there was a bug there. Thanks for the help Entropy. :happy:

Edited by TirunCollimdus

Well honestly I don't feel bad, like they said its a negative perk not essential to game play at all. I could understand if you want your PPs back... But anything else is out of there hands.

It is not per location, it is once.

If you get that perk, carry a ring with you, you can buy them for like 100 gc or less.

hehe thats reason i dont wanna get scotty dead perk afraid of geting traped and yeah tele rings are cheap so whats the prob of keeping a few with ya :icon13:

Okay. The perk is to make the game more inconvenient because you don't get help with bugs after your first warning. Does that mean you are going to take the perk out when you get the maps fixed? I don't want to loose my 10K gold if I take it again after I reset. You already proved that giving pick points back for removed perks works but since people would already have received use of the pick points there would be no reason to give back the money. I don't think 10K gold is worth it for something that could get removed at any time because you managed to get the maps fixed. I am sure others will keep getting it because they have better sources of money in the game but you do a pretty good job of taking money out of the game IMO so I don't want to buy it again if it can be removed at any time.

Thanks for the clarification of why it is in the game and why help for any problems caused by it is limited. ;)

TirunCollimdus

Perhaps a warning could be added to the wraith about mods not helping when it asks if you're sure you want to take the perk? This isn't RPish, and it doesn't help people who already have it, but it would help people in the future.

Okay. The perk is to make the game more inconvenient because you don't get help with bugs after your first warning. Does that mean you are going to take the perk out when you get the maps fixed?

Come on, the perk is there so that you can't conviently use #beam me up! It has nothing to do with bugs as bugs aren't supposed to be there in the first place!

If you take the perk, don't tele to places without a way to tele back. Its that simple...

I don't want to buy it again if it can be removed at any time.
Then don't

Also, there are some places deliberately difficult to get to and out of on maps...some places are designed to require a tptr spell...these are not bugs, nor will we rescue you from them, perk or no perk.

It should not be a difficult matter to always carry a ring or two, or some tp essences, be it to a portals room or tptr, or to ask a guildie or friend to come bring you a ring if you get stuck.

The game is made to have some surprises. If you choose to take a negative perk, be prepared to pay the negative price, not cry to the mods.

To the rest of you without the perk but still going to known buggy places or new maps, come on...

Entropy said that the perk is there to cause problems with map bugs and that is why it is a negative perk. I never mentioned anything about not being able to get out of a place I went to on purpose so I have no idea if you are talking to me or someone else. My point was about map bugs and Entropy said that was part of the price of the perk. There are places you can get trapped where people cannot reach you to trade. You can also get teleported under the ground in some places but so far I have been able to help everyone underground who has asked for it.

No one is talking about intentionally getting yourself in trouble or repeatedly getting stuck somewhere because you are harvesting in a place all of the time you know can trap you. I specifically stated that I thought the perk was exactly as you described Roja and Entropy said it wasn't. I don't know who is right but if you are right and the perk will stay in the game even after the maps are fixed I will be happy to get it again since I can get myself out of anyplace that I can get myself into in the game. If Entropy is right and the perk is specifically about making life in EL harder because of the bugs then why can't I ask if it will be removed when the bugs are removed?

TirunCollimdus

I dont have the perk atm, but i had it, and i will take it again as soon as i will need some pp's, I love it.

Im not the type of a scout who need 2 check every single pixel on the maps, i rather ask friends to show me safe routes( safe means easy 2 walk trought, even if there r some "dangerous" monsters :P

If some1 likes 2 discover map secrets simply dont take that perk and all will be just fine :P

eMPi

Where did ent say the neg perk is because of map bugs?

My apologies to the thread and to Entropy. Learner is the one who said that. Did not mean to confuse anyone or make any trouble just tried to post from memory instead of rereading the thread. I guess I got confused because the one help thing sounds like it supports what Learner said about the perks and the bugs.

TirunCollimdus

After all, #beam me up was put in the game originally to rescue people from map bugs. People taking the Scotty Died Perk are basically saying they aren't concenred with map bugs. ...

Come on, the perk is there so that you can't conviently use #beam me up! It has nothing to do with bugs as bugs aren't supposed to be there in the first place!

Not that I care, but here is the apparentl conflict that TC is possibly talking about :P

The point aren't contradictory.

Learner said that #beam was originally put in the game to help people from map bugs

Roja said that the PERK was not put in the game because of bugs.

It's too different things. You take the perk, you can't beam, it's your problem. That's all there is to be said, stop complaining and take an ip ring with you for 65gc in case you get stuck.

The #beam me command originally was created and put ingame for map bugs yes.

However over the years it has become used for many reasons, not only map bugs, but still including map bugs. It's not going to be removed.

The neg perk Scotty Died is exactly what it states. It is the inability to use the #beam me up command. It doesn't matter what the reasons are.

Anybody in this game should know it's a beta game, it says so on the opening screen! We are always adding new maps, new additions. It is not rocket science to know that there might be problems. Anybody with enough gc and pp's and abilities in this game to take this neg perk knows this.

Atlantis perhaps you should learn to read before you start making comments.

Learner said:

People taking the Scotty Died Perk are basically saying they aren't concenred with map bugs. ...

Roja said:

Would you like me bold and high light the parts that are in direct contradiction for you too? They are completely contradictory. Just so you know I can make IP rings so I don't even need to buy them. The stated attititude by both Learner and Entropy was you get help once and warned not to get stuck again. They seem to agree that whether you get trapped, because you did not know that you were, near something that could trap you or you simply forgot to get a ring from storage(or back out of storage after putting it up) that you are going to have to suicide to get out after one warning.

It sounds IMO like the perk has a LOT to do with map bugs and there inconvenience so my question is still whether or not the perk will eventually be removed because the bugs have been fixed. If Roja is correct and it really has nothing to do with map bugs then the perk stays. If the map bugs are supposed to be part of the penalty you are paying to get the pick points as said by Learner and suggested by Entropy then whether the perk is worth the 3 points and kept in the game is still a question.

TirunCollimdus

The beam me up command was originally placed in the game for this reason (map bugs). Now the vast majority of them are fixed, and the command was kept because people got used to it. As such, it will not be removed.

Atlantis perhaps you should learn to read before you start making comments.

Learner said:

People taking the Scotty Died Perk are basically saying they aren't concenred with map bugs. ...

Perhaps YOU should learn to read...

Learner's comment "Why do you think it is called a Negative Perk" stood alone. Go back and LOOK at his post and quote it correctly next time. It was NOT attached to the statement about people not being concerned with bugs. It came several sentences after that one, standing alone.

Roja said:

And this is absolutely true. Again, you are obsessing over your misinterpretation of Learner's post, which is coloring your interpretation of everything else!

It sounds IMO like the perk has a LOT to do with map bugs and there inconvenience so my question is still whether or not the perk will eventually be removed because the bugs have been fixed.
No, it doesn't sound like the perk has anything to do with map bugs. If that were the case, we would have stated so both in the description and in this thread. Meanwhile, we have repeatedly stated this is not the case! It is your interpretation that is is faulty!