Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Schmurk

Range weapons and heights of playable races

Collision detection for range weapons  

148 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want the different races heights to be taken in account during the collision detection?

• Yes, it should be cool to make a difference between races.
    • No way, it's too unfair!
    • I don't care.

After the last tests of the collision detection on the test server, a question came about players heights. We talked about it with Entropy and if the heights of players is taken in account in the collision detection, some races will have advantages or disadvantages on the others.

For example, tall races will be able to shoot more easily over other actors and objects while smaller races will be able to better dodge missiles under some circumstances because of their height.

I insist here that these advantages will NOT be explicitly expressed according to races, it will implicitly depends on the height of each race which is taken in account in the collision detection.

So if you have an opinion on this, please tell it and if you don't understand how exactly it works, please ask questions before voting...

Schmurk

PS: in my case, I voted a big YES :icon13:

Edited by Schmurk

I voted yes, because it would make choosing player race a bit more interesting....

Guest BaluBear

i voted no because the effectiveness of the weapon should be influenced by skill/attributes and not from height/visual difference imo

Edited by BaluBear

I voted yes. As somebody has already said, it would create an interesting tactical element in choosing race.

plus it just makes sense that a 3ft gnome would be harder to hit with n arrow than a 7ft orchan. especially when the pesky Gah-nomes have pesky barrels to hidder behind.

I trust height will vary for Animals/monsters...a rabbit being harder to hit than an orc etc...

I trust height will vary for Animals/monsters...a rabbit being harder to hit than an orc etc...

Poor dragon, he would be like arrow-magnet then... :bow_arrow:

The idea is nice, however, the non-paid dwarf would have advantage to paid orchan/draegoni, which is not fair to those, who paid for it.

I voted yes. As somebody has already said, it would create an interesting tactical element in choosing race.

plus it just makes sense that a 3ft gnome would be harder to hit with n arrow than a 7ft orchan. especially when the pesky Gah-nomes have pesky barrels to hidder behind.

Just remember that 7ft orchan can probably shoot over more things then the 3ft tall gnome!

I'm torn...

On the one hand it's logical to have different results for different heights/sizes.

On the other hand I think most people choose their character race based on looks and I know I personally would not like to have to choose a character race I didn't much care for because the one I like is lacking in abilities.

Orchan will be able to shoot over higher obstacles then gnomes....

But then orchans should miss a lot more also, cause of the lack of finesse. (spelling)

I dont think height should matter, maybe char yes.

I was wondering which attributes will be important for archery skills? :bow_arrow:

Planning on starting making one right now.

I like the fact that all races are, for all intents and purposes, the same except for looks. Realism would benefit from factoring race height, but I don't tend to play games to remind myself of real life.

:bow_arrow:

voted yes, it's about time we get some non_visual differences between races :)

I also agree. But then the shorter races need something special to even up the difference.

I also agree. But then the shorter races need something special to even up the difference.
well, there's the thing. you can, of course, start adding melee chance-to-hit and damage amount modifiers... even racial stats and resistances... ultimately, I'm saying no unless it's done in a large way... if it's only a small difference, then leave it as-is with people having chosen race for looks. only if there's a big change where racial differences have a lot of differences (even if it's small ones) would I go for it

unfortunately, the poll options don't really allow for opinions like this... I want racial differences (though real ones), I don't think it's inherently unfair, and I do care. so I select 'all of the above'?

Edited by ttlanhil

I voted yes, altho before thinking.

I just thought it'd be nice.

Yet on the other hand, a good archer, no matter how tall s/he is, should nearly always hit his/her target. So in logical terms, this shouldn't make a difference, but since this is fantasy, it doesn't really matter.

-Blee

voted yes, it's about time we get some non_visual differences between races :)

voted yes be a nice idea.

wouldnt shorter races though have the advantage of being able to make more use of cover ?

3ft gnome would be harder to hit than a 7ft orchan if stood behind a wall or bush

voted yes be a nice idea.

wouldnt shorter races though have the advantage of being able to make more use of cover ?

3ft gnome would be harder to hit than a 7ft orchan if stood behind a wall or bush

And 3ft gnome is much easily stomped by dragons and yettis than 7ft orchan...

As was pointed above, the height does not tell everything about archery skill, smaller ones have better cover, bigger ones have longer range and view.

well, there's the thing. you can, of course, start adding melee chance-to-hit and damage amount modifiers... even racial stats and resistances... ultimately, I'm saying no unless it's done in a large way... if it's only a small difference, then leave it as-is with people having chosen race for looks. only if there's a big change where racial differences have a lot of differences (even if it's small ones) would I go for it

unfortunately, the poll options don't really allow for opinions like this... I want racial differences (though real ones), I don't think it's inherently unfair, and I do care. so I select 'all of the above'?

Good point but IMO adding more modifiers on races will be even more unfair (I don't say it's bad) because in this case you'll have to make a good choice when selecting your race. To be honest, I also want racial differences because it will add some spice to the game :devlish:

But to be back on topic, here the modifier will not be really explicit and there won't be bigger advantages to take a race rather than another I think... Some say that smaller races will have more advantages but I don't think so. If I'm right, your "dodge ability" will be taken in account only on lost arrows or when you're hiding behind an object but if someone decide to shoot at you and there's nothing around, the chance will be equal whatever the races of the archer and the target are. In the other way, tall races will also have the advantage to be able to shoot over other people but this will not always work and will depend a lot on the configurations.

So do these features have a great impact on gameplay? Not sure because as it has been written in the first post and stated again here, these advantages/disadvantages will be visible only under some circumstances. But IMO, it will be more realistic if the heights are taken in account and it will avoid problems with people who will report bugs everyday because their dwarf took in the face an arrow that passed 2 inches over their head and such things... ;)

But IMO, it will be more realistic if the heights are taken in account and it will avoid problems with people who will report bugs everyday because their dwarf took in the face an arrow that passed 2 inches over their head and such things... :devlish:

slightly off topic but put that brings up. Will there be friendly fire incedents if the arrow misses its intended target or is the arrow just going to disapear ?

slightly off topic but put that brings up. Will there be friendly fire incedents if the arrow misses its intended target or is the arrow just going to disapear ?

The friendly fire is to be determined..

I voted yes.

My thoughts:

On one hand it would add a depth to choosing the right character, but it does seem like gnomes and dwarves would be at a disadvanteage because of their height.

I'm sure if ya'll go this way yall will figure out a way to make the different races equal but different at the same time.

Can't wait to see what yall come up with,

RunTime

i voted no because the effectiveness of the weapon should be influenced by skill/attributes and not from height/visual difference imo

I think you don't quite get it.

This is ot about skill, it is about the fact that a small person can not shoot over a tall wall. Similarly, bigger people are easier to hit than smaller people, just like it is easier to shoot a barn, than a fly.

In my humble opinion:

while the gnome is harder to be hitted at the same cannot raiser over a certain phy

the draegoni: easier to be hitted but a little magic resistance

the orchan stronger but less magic capabilities (more experience to level ?)

and similar for the free races

(something like D&D style)

I voted yes not only because it would be cool to have differences between races, but because each have their pros and cons with the introduction of this skill.

Gnomes/Dwarves are more difficult to hit, because they are smaller (like 75% as big?)

Draegoni are considerably taller and can shoot over gnomes, small bushes, etc. Neither one is at a considerable disadvantage