Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Ideas for the "charm" attribute replacement

Well, no matter how much I tried to come up with an idea on what to do with the "charm" attribute (instinct and vitality), I couldn't find any. Originally it was supposed to give you better deals at the NPCs, but this could be abused and ruin the market.

Another idea was to use it for some ability to take over summoned animals, but this would be of limited use.

Right now, "perception" is also not used, but it will be used soon for night vision purposes (at night, you won't see as far as at day time, especially if you hide in a shadow). So the higher the perception, the more you can see at night.

Perception could also be used in the upcoming skill, range/archery.

Or we could rename "charm" to "aim", and use it in archery.

If you have other ideas, let's hear them.

Charisma? Perhaps it could graduate the ignore levels for monsters. May not be too flash considering the mm perk

Can't think of anything else that charisma could be used for in game. :/

Edited by Spleenfeeder

I believe that it would be best turned into "Accuracy" to be used with any future ranged spells/archery.

-Vang

Well, aim/accuracy are the same thing. The accuracy is used for weapons though, I don't want them mixed up.

On a other game iam playing the charm attribute is used to make item drops to increase slightly (not very much like 5% less then that) but i dunno what u think with that

Edited by CoKPhaY

Charisma?

I was thinking CHarisma as well, perhaps to increase one's ability to dodge a spawn, and/or increase one's odds with equipment repairs (slightly)

Well it is increased by instinct and vitality, so how about renaming it "reflexes" and making it shorten the amount of time between attacks, probably very hard to implement with current engine though. If it could be done it would make it very valuable though.

Charm could be used for agressive creatures. The higher the charm attrib is, the lower may be the defense level when they dont attack.

Or, there is a chance, that the defense level is lower and they would leave you alone.

Or, a chance that summoned creatures dont attack you on PK maps.

Maybe like this: A creature attacks you because of your def level or its summoned on PK maps. Then:

int a = rand()%100;
if (a<charm_attribute){
  creature_doesnt_attack=TRUE;
}

Piper

Charm could be used for agressive creatures. The higher the charm attrib is, the lower may be the defense level when they dont attack.
I think most people would rather that monsters don't ignore them. Permanent MM perk is basically a negative perk :P

What about Chance, varies by circumstance like rationality does with xp. But basically makes you more lucky. This could take higher levels to achieve various benefits like 20 levels might give +1 in 10000 chance for efe, +200 in 10k to bypass armour etc.

Edited by senkrad

I was thinking that charm could be used for increasing ability to flee from fights, i.e. the ability to charm your enemy (whether it be other players, animals or monsters) and escape the fight.

Best idea I have seen on this thread :P

Higher Charm (Or whatever attribute name) = better chance to flee

How about something like...

Survival

Reduces damage taken by fire, cold, radiation etc.

Like the current toughness, but affecting area damage and damage from magic swords/spells instead of physical attacks.

Would allow a counter for harsher climates and new attack spells in the future. And i think it works quite well with Instinct and Vitality.

I would like to have a definition of instinct effect, or is it to be defined?
Instinct is a attribute, not a cross attribute. We are deciding effect for a cross attribute :P

Going back to charming animals maybe this could have an advantage in fighting by charming your opponent or make you dis easier this could give you a slight edge on fighting .

In a similar way to reading books on fighting helps

The higher the charm the more effective the ability

Or another way the summons won’t attack a certain level in charm

Handyman

i was joking on GM and they told me to post the idea so. change charm to "luck" and every increment gives your character an extra .01% chance for the games rare events; such as alchemy, manu, harvesting.

Just an idea :P

But the upside is that this stat would not be a way to spam the EL economy with rares b/c its LOW chance anyhow, plus the extra pp is just too hard to throw away

Survival

Like the current toughness, but affecting area damage and damage from magic swords/spells instead of physical attacks.

Would allow a counter for harsher climates and new attack spells in the future. And i think it works quite well with Instinct and Vitality.

Might work :P I would pay 4 pp to not take cold damage in cold c2 maps :P

I think that it would be awesome if it increased good drops it would be good motive for people to get it

Survival

I really like this idea,

and perception:

Improves your ability to see at night, and increases resistance to poison.

Currently Charm is made up of:

Instinct - innate capability or aptitude, inborn pattern of behavior

Vitality - the capacity to live/grow/develop, physical or intellectual energy, the ability to survive

We could rename it to any of the following:

Skill - reduces the rate of critical failures (ingredient loss) in mixing

Restoration - increases the rate of health recovery (more than +1/minute)

Attraction - increases the chances that summoned creatures will stay with you and not wonder away (implies that the current behavior is modified so they wander off more)

The rate of health recovery already has modifiers (FR perk, cape, and locations) so that might not be the best choice. But critical failures and keeping summoned items around are both currently a fixed rate or percentage, so it would make sense to change them to be variable and have an attribute effect them.

Personally, I'd vote for Attraction first, Skill second.

I was thinking that charm could be used for increasing ability to flee from fights, i.e. the ability to charm your enemy (whether it be other players, animals or monsters) and escape the fight.

Best idea I have seen on this thread :P

Higher Charm (Or whatever attribute name) = better chance to flee

Ditto.

Best idea so far.

And, although this may not quite make "sense", having Charm/Charisma increase your chance of making a rare item as well would ensure that a range of people would want it.

I know most cross-attributes only effect 1 thing, but there already are some that effect 2, Might for example increases both you carry capacity and how much damage you deal in combat, Rationality increases both your reading speed and your exp gain.

So; "Charisma increases your chance to flee from combat and make rare items."

That would be my suggestion.

- Korrode

Edited by Korrode